Question: Natural Hair Ladies

What do you do to get length my hair is springy (hair in siggy) the shrinkage is ri-dayum-diculous, should I wait until it grows really long to see if it will hang or is there something else I can do, PLEASE HELP!!:cry2:

Thanks in advance :grin:

Welcome

Once it reaches a certain length it will start to lie down more.
In the meantime I would suggest having a curly fro for a wash and go or roller-setting it to straighten it out some.

Very beautiful hair BTW.

Pretty curls!

But yeah, it's hard to fight shrinkage. I find that I have less shrinkage if I don't do a rinse everyday but my shrinkage is pretty profound so I had to learn to love it.

Some people so loose twists or braids. There is a process call "banding" that I've never tried and don't really understand the concept of...maybe someone can help you out with that.

Some products can reduce shrinkage too... for me any product with a lot of butters (shea, avocado, etc) make my shrinkage worse.

Yup, it will hang once it gets long. But you will always have shrinkage with coily hair. I have curly hair and the shrinkage is for real. I've learned to embrace it, though. Your hair is very pretty. :)

Beautiful hair... just be patient...it will grow and hang eventually. But it appears that your hair is kind of weightless, like mine and likes to float for a whle instead of hang. bonjour

As naturals I think we all have to deal with shrinkage.

Your curls are beautiful, and I'm sure as your hair grows longer they will start to fall down your back.

When I want a straighter look without heat I band my hair with silk scrunchies, about 6 on each side.

I don't have any advice but I needed to say that your hair is SO PRETTY! The shrinkage won't go away and the length will come! Hope that helps!

I have super shrinkage (coily hair is the worst for this). I accept it for the most part. When I want to show another inch or two of length, I detangle and twist my wet hair and let it dry. I wear as a twistout, which shows more length than if I let it wash and go.

Banding while wet or dry also creates more length.

Mahalialee4 said:
Beautiful hair... just be patient...it will grow and hang eventually. But it appears that your hair is kind of weightless, like mine and likes to float for a whle instead of hang. bonjour

Thanks for the welcome and all the kind comments!!!:)

Yes my hair has been described as weightless by the stylist who pressed my hair once (it only lasted 3 days).

But here is my dilema, I have been natural going on 4 years now but have had to constantly cut off 4 inches or so at a time because of the corporate enviroment, so it has been in contant afro mode for all these years and i'm growing tired of the look and would love for my hair to hang, what should I do in the meantime to let it all grow out to it's maximum length while still appearing corporate friendly????

I'm going to leave space for others to share the EXPANSIVE ways in which to "corporatize" your natural hair beyond the option of just cutting it off....

I'm just curious to know your corporate environment in that is a certain hair length required? If not, then I'm thinking that your natural hair is well able to flow with the business environment.

RelaxerRehab said:
I'm going to leave space for others to share the EXPANSIVE ways in which to "corporatize" your natural hair beyond the option of just cutting it off....

I'm just curious to know your corporate environment in that is a certain hair length required? If not, then I'm thinking that your natural hair is well able to flow with the business environment.

My hair grows out not down/hang so when it gets long it's Macy Grayish and that is not deemed corporate friendly.

A short blast of warm air to the roots does wonders for me. I learned this trick from the ladies on NaturallyCurly and MissJessies.

Once my hair is about 80% dry, I use a blower dryer and quickly direct the warm air toward the roots and down the shaft of my hair (just enough to loosen the curl). It stretches out very nicely and allows me to have a lot of control over the look I want. This helped a lot a when I first began transitioning and my hair was shorter. Now that it has grown longer, I don't have to do as much stretching.

Hope this helps.

Not sure I can give a completely helpful response. But is there any reason you cannot do twists or curls to lay your hair down while it grows out to give you the length you need?

I guess if you could explain in more detail your work situation. Do they tell you your hair does not meet their corporate guidelines?

LUVMYNATURAL said:
My hair grows out not down/hang so when it gets long it's Macy Grayish and that is not deemed corporate friendly.

Says who? And I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck.... I've worked in all types of corporate environments and I have sister-friends who are in some high-powered positions, e.g., law, health care, etc. They've worn braids, naturals, sets, and relaxers without any issues with regard to their quality of work. I personally have worn braids before as well....

I mean, is this just a matter of you learning how to be more comfortable with handling/managing your hair (and now that you're on LCHF, this is a GREAT place to learn!:) ) or is this more of a mental process for you in terms of what is an acceptable or normal corporate image?

neenzmj said:
A short blast of warm air to the roots does wonders for me. I learned this trick from the ladies on NaturallyCurly and MissJessies.

Once my hair is about 80% dry, I use a blower dryer and quickly direct the warm air toward the roots and down the shaft of my hair (just enough to loosen the curl). It stretches out very nicely and allows me to have a lot of control over the look I want. This helped a lot a when I first began transitioning and my hair was shorter. Now that it has grown longer, I don't have to do as much stretching.

Hope this helps.

Thanks I will definately try this!

RelaxerRehab said:
Says who? And I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck.... I've worked in all types of corporate environments and I have sister-friends who are in some high-powered positions, e.g., law, health care, etc. They've worn braids, naturals, sets, and relaxers without any issues with regard to their quality of work. I personally have worn braids before as well....

I mean, is this just a matter of you learning how to be more comfortable with handling/managing your hair (and now that you're on LCHF, this is a GREAT place to learn!:) ) or is this more of a mental process for you in terms of what is an acceptable or normal corporate image?

mscoco, No I was not told my hair does not meet corporate guidelines, but BIG HAIR seems to be a problem for some I can tell by their faces :look:

RR,
I know you are not trying to be smart and I welcome all responses, there is no problem with braids and so forth it's a BIG AFRO that seems to get the unwelcomed looks, so I cut it down, not because I was told or anything like that.

LUVMYNATURAL said:
RR, I know you are not trying to be smart and I welcome all responses, there is no problem with braids and so forth it's a BIG AFRO that seems to get the unwelcomed looks, so I cut it down, not because I was told or anything like that.

Hmm... unwelcome vs. unallowed.... Unwelcome can also mean "misunderstood" or simply "not like the standard/norm", or "not what the masses are used to", yes?

You know your work environment much better than I do.... If you've been natural, you said 4 years, yes? then I'm just thinking that you need a boost of support to say that your natural hair is beautiful and it's a part of you and you come to work with it and this is how it goes....

I've learned that we (Black folk) really make a big deal more out of our hair than everybody else does.... Some may look, ask questions, then they move on.... It's alright....

I think once you learn and get more comfortable with doing different styles, you'll be more confident about your hair and then the looks (unwelcome or otherwise) won't even affect you.

RelaxerRehab said:
Hmm... unwelcome vs. unallowed.... Unwelcome can also mean "misunderstood" or simply "not like the standard/norm", or "not what the masses are used to", yes?

You know your work environment much better than I do.... If you've been natural, you said 4 years, yes? then I'm just thinking that you need a boost of support to say that your natural hair is beautiful and it's a part of you and you come to work with it and this is how it goes....

I've learned that we (Black folk) really make a big deal more out of our hair than everybody else does.... Some may look, ask questions, then they move on.... It's alright....

I think once you learn and get more comfortable with doing different styles, you'll be more confident about your hair and then the looks (unwelcome or otherwise) won't even affect you.

Feb 07 will be 4 years and I've never been uncomfortable with my natural hair (or at least I don't think i've been). I've only tried twists and I do not like them on me so I have been wearing mostly wash n go with the occassional braids (which does not seem good for my hair) because my hair is not thick enough.

I prefer to think of those odd looks on people's face as awe, rather than disapproval. And as they see that your work habits/tactics do not change with the length of your hair, they will accept it as part of you, and move on.

With that said - you said that you don't like twists on yourself (which I can understand) and you don't think that braids work because your hair is too thin - how about a pulled back puff? Flattwists? Cornrows? twisted in the front to give you bangs, and BAA in the back? As your hair gets longer, it will give you more options to style it - I'd suggest hopping over to Nappurality and taking a peek at the Style forum - there is an excellent couple of threads over there about banding and hairstyles - along with pictures to give you some inspiration.
I've also found that taking pictures of the hairstyle helps me detrimine if it's 'professional' enough - and some of the hairstyles I've ended up rocking at work have even suprised me!
Good luck!!

ETA: I also wanted to say - I think that we are hairtwins - your strands just look thicker than mine - I'm hoping that once this dye grows out, my hair will look just LIKE that.

Very pretty hair. I have the same hangup concerning length. I want my hair to be much longer but shrinkage is a pain. I am hoping it will eventually fall down and show length. So far it just grows out.

I agree with the some of the ladies...you can use some hair friendly techniques to stretch your hair and make it appear longer and less shruken. I find it easier to stretch my hair after a shampoo and deep conditioning session. I apply my leave-ins and put my hair in about 7 braids. I let it completely dry and it is stretched in the morning.

As far as being corporate friendly...I've never worked in the corporate world but I usually wear my hair in a bun without my phony pony for interviews. Maybe you can incorporate a variety of buns, length pinned up with or without claw clips, or even a french braid.

nappywomyn said:
I prefer to think of those odd looks on people's face as awe, rather than disapproval. And as they see that your work habits/tactics do not change with the length of your hair, they will accept it as part of you, and move on.

With that said - you said that you don't like twists on yourself (which I can understand) and you don't think that braids work because your hair is too thin - how about a pulled back puff? Flattwists? Cornrows? twisted in the front to give you bangs, and BAA in the back? As your hair gets longer, it will give you more options to style it - I'd suggest hopping over to Nappurality and taking a peek at the Style forum - there is an excellent couple of threads over there about banding and hairstyles - along with pictures to give you some inspiration.
I've also found that taking pictures of the hairstyle helps me detrimine if it's 'professional' enough - and some of the hairstyles I've ended up rocking at work have even suprised me!
Good luck!!

ETA: I also wanted to say - I think that we are hairtwins - your strands just look thicker than mine - I'm hoping that once this dye grows out, my hair will look just LIKE that.

I have not been to Nappturality in a while I will definately check it out. thanks for your words I appreciate the help.

Country gal, hang in there girl we are in this together, lol :)

pattycake0701,
yes thank you I am doing a search on buns now I think I would like to incorporate that look.

I don't have any additional tips to add I just wanted to tell you that your hair is beautiful! It looks so healthy and I love the shine.

I love your hair! it's soooo beautiful! I say just hang in there.. My hair isn't as coily when it gets longer, the curls start to get more wavy. I do flat twists starting from the forehead and going back and just twist my hair up and pin it.. It looks very sexy and beautiful but I twist it kind of light and not tight so it doesn't have a whole lot of definition in the twists but looks more put together. I found out that I dind't like the tight twists with the defined parts. it does not look good on me. But a more loose twist and then pin it in an updo looks pretty good.. Once my hair dries, like most, I am able to stretch it out more but while wet, there is no stretching. Try Pantene Extra Liso Combing Creme when it dries. I use this to stretch my curls out some b/c it is straigtening. Personally, I would rock a beautiful curly head like yours and put a beautiful crystsal clip in it or something.. Your hair is mah-velous!;)

Braidouts do a good job of stretching my hair and showing length. And after a few days my hair is practically straight. I do the braidout by making 7 braids on each side of my head and sitting under the dryer for an hour then undoing the braids.

Hey, ever think those looks can be looks of envy?;) Girl, your hair so gorgeous. Unless you are told by the HCIC (head corp. in charge..:lol: ) let that hair grow! You can allow it to grow to the length where you can bun it. That is a professional look. Hope all goes well for you.

Back