Question: How can I make my hair stay like this?

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Hey! I am wondering what kind of product/technique I can use to make my hair stay like this without shrinking? I love it. In the photo, my hair is wet.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140129_113026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140129_113026.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 342
  • ForumRunner_20140129_113051.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140129_113051.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 241
  • ForumRunner_20140129_113117.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140129_113117.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 221
Sorry that the pic posted 3 times. It kept saying that the app crashed. Also, don't know why it uploaded sideways.

I've never tried this but I always thought putting clips on your hair and sitting under the dryer would help with shrinkage. Maybe not totally eliminate it, but keep it from shrinking fully.

Try African threading, Girlloveyourcurls on youtube has an excellent tutorial about this. This gives my hair a nice blown out look with out the heat damage. When you do her super stretch it lengthens your hair even more. It's truly an underutilized method but it makes life so easy, especially for us type 4s.

^^ I agree with African Threading, or you could try banding which is essentially the same thing, but with the use of ponytail holders instead of thread.

I will look at the African hair threading videos. I want to maintain this look and keep it moisturized.

Your hair is so lush and pretty!!

I could only fake that look with an old, loose braid out.

Healthb4Length African threading seems so cumbersome and time intensive to do daily; how long does it take you to set your hair?

Oil rinse after cleansing in order to seal in moisture. (Use a small amount of oil less than a quarter size amount)

Lightly! Apply kinky Curly knot today or another styler that stretches curls like Miss Jessie's pillow soft curls while hair is soaking wet.

Shake your hair/head while it dries to keep them from shrinking back up

Then once dry scrunch out the curls gently to soften them but be careful so they don't frizz.

Last edited:
A good strong gel can help. Whenever I use Kinky Curly Curling Custard it sort of 'freezes' my hair in place so that it doesn't shrink quite as much as it would otherwise.

Try roller setting for stretch and then letting hair revert to natural curl pattern. Use oils and creamy leave-in and seal with a light (versus heavy duty) setting lotion because you don't want "curls" per se, just stretch and smoothness.

You also look like you have more than enough hair in terms of length and thickness for a two strand twist out and/or Curlformers. (I don't so I'm jealous!) Give it a shot and see what happens.

Someone posted a link to Tracey Ellis Ross' very detailed description of how she does her wash and goes to maintain stretch and elongated curls -- i.e., when to brush, when to let cool water just pour over hair versus combing and separate curls, etc. It was intense -- I always assumed that women with her type of hair were able to just jump out of the shower and go but it's quite a process.

Hey! I am wondering what kind of product/technique I can use to make my hair stay like this without shrinking? I love it. In the photo, my hair is wet.

Last edited:
Back