Question for those who wash weekly/every 2 weeks?

Artemis

What are you doing in between to make it last the whole 7+ days? The longest I could wait it out is 5-6 days and by then my scalp is itchy, my hair smells weird and the hair is very, um, not cute. :nono:

Edit: All replies are welcome, but esp. those ladies who wear their hair straight, eg, pressed or relaxed.

Any details will be helpful, such as...
Are you greasing your scalp?
How often are you applying moisturizer? If everyday (or even 2x/day), doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day?
Are you wearing your hair down everyday?

Spill the beans, please. This is very interesting to someone who has to wash every 3-4 days.

Thanks in Advance :)

Last edited:
I wash only every week during the winter because I only air dry and my hair takes about a day to fully dry.

I never grease/oil my scalp.

I moisturize, usually just my ends, as needed. I have yet to find anything that weighs my hair down too much except loads of gel or vaseline (which I don't use).

I never wear my hair down.

Sometimes my scalp does get itchy, especially if I have been using a lot of conditioner to style, and in these cases I will just wash again. I'm not committed to just once a week.

I wash only every week during the winter because I only air dry and my hair takes about a day to fully dry.

I never grease/oil my scalp.

I moisturize, usually just my ends, as needed. I have yet to find anything that weighs my hair down too much except loads of gel or vaseline (which I don't use).

I never wear my hair down.

Sometimes my scalp does get itchy, especially if I have been using a lot of conditioner to style, and in these cases I will just wash again. I'm not committed to just once a week.

Thanks!

So you're texlaxed? Do you wear your hair straight ever? And this applies?

What are you doing in between to make it last the whole 7+ days? The longest I could wait it out is 5-6 days and by then my scalp is itchy I changed my products so now I don't have this issue anymore., my hair smells weird and the hair is very, um, not cute. :nono:

No I never grease my scalp.
How often are you applying moisturizer? 2 x a day
If everyday (or even 2x/day), doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day? Yes by this time my hair is really weighed down but its all good as I just bun it.
Are you wearing your hair down everyday? I wear my hair down from Monday until about Thursday and wrap at night. Then I bun until Sunday. Those nights I just put my hair on top of my head and scarf it.

Spill the beans, please. This is very interesting to someone who has to wash every 3-4 days.

My answers are in red.

I wash once a week. I never grease my scalp. I apply moisturizer right after washing and usually once or twice again throughout the week. Sometimes those second and third applications are not real "moisturizers", but just oil like coconut, avocado, or castor oil. My head only smells if it's summer and I've been sweating a lot or working out. In that case I wash a bit more frequently. I don't have to worry about weighing my hair down because it's natural and 4b, so while it's possible to get it to feel too greasy to the touch, I don't think it's even possible to weigh it down. Besides, like I said, I don't reapply daily and I think I might be a bit more light-handed than many others. I can wear my hair down, as in a twist out or braid out, every day. I retwist or rebraid at night to keep the twist/braid-out going. Though admittedly by the 5th or 6th day it's not looking its best. In which case I can put it up.

I try to wash once a week but sometimes that doesn't happen and it goes to two weeks. In between washes I just wear a bun or pinup for a couple of days then comb that down, add either coconut oil or jojoba oil and pin it back up.

I don't grease the scalp until there is substantial new growth. My hair is too fine and will get weighed down if I do that. When I do oil the scalp, I mix Humectress with Mizani Rose H2O 50/50 and use that on the scalp and new growth.

I usually wash 1x per week. Putting minimal product on the hair in between washings is the key. All I do is basically lightly moisturize my ends in between washings. Towards wash time, I'm more heavy-handed with the moisturizer/ oil.

I don't mind the "weighed down feeling." I finally learned that I had to stop oiling/ greasing my scalp or else I have to wash more frequently, like every 4 days.

Honestly, I would love to go back to every 2 weeks like I did before LHCF, but my scalp doesn't seem to be able to go longer than a week. I look forward to the responses from bi-weekly washers.

ETA: I rollerset & wear my hair straight. I'm relaxed 4a-ish

Last edited:
I try to wash once a week but sometimes that doesn't happen and it goes to two weeks. In between washes I just wear a bun or pinup for a couple of days then comb that down, add either coconut oil or jojoba oil and pin it back up.

I don't grease the scalp until there is substantial new growth. My hair is too fine and will get weighed down if I do that. When I do oil the scalp, I mix Humectress with Mizani Rose H2O 50/50 and use that on the scalp and new growth.

So you wait a couple of days, and then put in some product. Will you add any more after that, or no?

I wash every 2 weeks. The first week will rollerset with flexirods every other day and wrap the other days. The second week I wear in a bun and oil my scalp when needed.

When I get a fresh relaxer in the summer time, I wash my hair myself if I swim. I will cowash after each swim, air dry and wear in a pony tail until wash day. I can only do this with a fresh relaxer. After 8 weeks post, washing myself every other day is like natural disaster.

ETA: I make sure I use a leave in. It makes my hair very soft when I air dry.

Last edited:
I usually wash 1x per week. Putting minimal product on the hair in between washings is the key. All I do is basically lightly moisturize my ends in between washings. Towards wash time, I'm more heavy-handed with the moisturizer/ oil.

I don't mind the "weighed down feeling." I finally learned that I had to stop oiling/ greasing my scalp or else I have to wash more frequently, like every 4 days.

Honestly, I would love to go back to every 2 weeks like I did before LHCF, but my scalp doesn't seem to be able to go longer than a week. I look forward to the responses from bi-weekly washers.

ETA: I rollerset & wear my hair straight. I'm relaxed 4a-ish

How often do you moisturize your ends in between washings? Every day/every other day?

I wash every 2 weeks. The first week will rollerset with flexirods every other day and wrap the other days. The second week I wear in a bun and oil my scalp when needed.

When I get a fresh relaxer in the summer time, I wash my hair myself if I swim. I will cowash after each swim, air dry and wear in a pony tail until wash day. I can only do this with a fresh relaxer. After 8 weeks post, washing myself every other day is a natural disaster.

Do you apply product at all during that first week? Or just leave it alone?

What are you doing in between to make it last the whole 7+ days? I can go a week, trying to go two weeks, but I don't do much, just wear a bun for the whole 7 days. The longest I could wait it out is 5-6 days and by then my scalp is itchy, my hair smells weird and the hair is very, um, not cute. :nono: See when you wash your hair often, your scalp gets use to it, and when you try to go more than your average washing day, your scalp gets itchy, in a way it's tell you to wash me! But you would have to stretch your washing days until your scalp gets use to it, but 5-6 days isn't bad though.

Edit: All replies are welcome, but esp. those ladies who wear their hair straight, eg, pressed or relaxed.

Are you greasing your scalp? No, I use OCT/BeeMine mix only
How often are you applying moisturizer? If everyday (or even 2x/day), doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day? I apply moisturize twice a day, but I don't use that much. I use like a dime full, and if I don't apply moisturize in the morning, I apply oil only to my ends, and then apply moisturize at night.
Are you wearing your hair down everyday? No, though I would like too, but I have to try and work that out, but I wear buns 99% of the time until wash day.

I hope this helps you, I use to wash my hair every 3 days until, I realize I couldn't go nowhere unless it looked decent, and I got tired of washing all the time, I didn't see the point, my hair doesn't smell, and I didn't really have time to do it all the time....so I just went a day at a time and before I knew it I was washing once a week, now I'm trying to do two weeks.....

I try to wash 1x a week, but sometimes it is every 2-weeks. I only do this b/c I am wearing a sew-in. Other than that I would probably wash every 3-4 days. I spray my scalp with SheScentIt Scalp Spritz to alleviate any ichiness.

Are you greasing your scalp? No, but I do apply OCT to the scalp daily.
How often are you applying moisturizer? 2-3x a week.
If everyday (or even 2x/day), doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day? I have a sew-in so if it is weighed down it does not effect me.
Are you wearing your hair down everyday? No

Thanks!

So you're texlaxed? Do you wear your hair straight ever? And this applies? :perplexed I am not sure about this last question. NVM I see you edited the original post

:yep: Yep, I am technically relaxed and underprocessed. I have yet to wear my hair straight. I really want to see how long it is but I am really afraid of heat and stylists. I need to learn how to rollerset and buy a dryer.

Last edited:
I hope this helps you, I use to wash my hair every 3 days until, I realize I couldn't go nowhere unless it looked decent, and I got tired of washing all the time, I didn't see the point, my hair doesn't smell, and I didn't really have time to do it all the time....so I just went a day at a time and before I knew it I was washing once a week, now I'm trying to do two weeks.....

Hey thanks! Yeah, my scalp is spoiled. I like to oil my damp scalp before I rollerset to dry the hair and then I can go longer. But the hair :nono:--I found that moisturizing daily (a dime size is too much :eek:) doesn't work either.

I will continue to experiment. The bold is where I am at right now. And I'm very annoyed (my stylist texlaxing my roots doesn't help me either as I sit here at 6 wks post :ohwell:) and thinking that if my hair was longer than it is now, I'd be miserable. :look:

What are you doing in between to make it last the whole 7+ days? I wash once a week and every other week I'll rollerset. When I air dry I moisturize my roots and ends nightly, if I rollerset I moisturize the ends nightly. I've been bunning a lot b/c of the cold, but when it's not cold I'll wear my hair down 2 days then it's back in a bun.

I don't grease my scalp
How often are you applying moisturizer? If everyday (or even 2x/day), Daily
doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day? Yes...But at this point my hair is up in a bun until I wash again on the 7th day, so that doesn't bother me...
Are you wearing your hair down everyday? No, especially in the winter

Thanks in Advance :) YW!

Hey thanks! Yeah, my scalp is spoiled. I like to oil my damp scalp before I rollerset to dry the hair and then I can go longer. But the hair :nono:--I found that moisturizing daily (a dime size is too much :eek:) doesn't work either.

I will continue to experiment. The bold is where I am at right now. And I'm very annoyed (my stylist texlaxing my roots doesn't help me either as I sit here at 6 wks post :ohwell:) and thinking that if my hair was longer than it is now, I'd be miserable. :look:

Have you tried moisturizing every other day? Maybe not using oil to seal?

Have you tried moisturizing every other day? Maybe not using oil to seal?

I'm actually experimenting now with waiting 2-3 days to moisturize. And the oil on the damp scalp [when I remember to do it] is very very light (I have fine hair) so I do it once and I don't repeat (it absorbs while I dry my rollerset). And I don't apply it all over (just drier scalp areas).

I don't seal my hair with oil when I apply moisturizer.

(answers in bold)

Are you greasing your scalp? Not on the regular, but when I do, I apply a mix of jojoba and tea tree using and q tip
How often are you applying moisturizer? If everyday (or even 2x/day), doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day? Nope. Im light handed and only moisturize as needed. I use a dime sized amount per quarter inch section by spreading in on my fingers and finger combing it through
Are you wearing your hair down everyday? kind of lol. when im out it is down but when I'm in the house it is always up

If you have an itchy scalp the tea tree jojoba is a god send. This is an example of a flare up. I washed monday. Applied the mix monday, tuesday, wednesday, and friday. Then I only applied 2-3 times a week for a couple of weeks. I immediately noticed a differernce and after a few weeks I had zero flakes!!! Im too lazy to keep up with this now:lachen: I need to get back on it!

Pure lazyness helps too. I am just too lazy to do my hair multiple times a week lol

I find if I sleep in a silk scarf every night Im good for a week. However, if I miss one day, thats all she wrote :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

I shampoo and DC 1x/6-9 days. When my hair is flatironed, I don't do much of anything to it. I don't moisturize every day (I don't do that even when my hair is curly). By day 3 or 4, I may add a teeny bit of coconut oil or jojoba oil to my hair and ends but that's it. I generally wear it down for 4 or 5 days and then do ponytails or updos until wash day.

I deep condition regularly, use a leave-in, and eat well so my hair rarely gets dry during the week. I don't grease my scalp or use growth aids.

(answers in bold)

Are you greasing your scalp? Not on the regular, but when I do, I apply a mix of jojoba and tea tree using and q tip
How often are you applying moisturizer? If everyday (or even 2x/day), doesn't your hair weigh down by the 5-7th day? Nope. Im light handed and only moisturize as needed. I use a dime sized amount per quarter inch section by spreading in on my fingers and finger combing it through
Are you wearing your hair down everyday? kind of lol. when im out it is down but when I'm in the house it is always up

If you have an itchy scalp the tea tree jojoba is a god send. This is an example of a flare up. I washed monday. Applied the mix monday, tuesday, wednesday, and friday. Then I only applied 2-3 times a week for a couple of weeks. I immediately noticed a differernce and after a few weeks I had zero flakes!!! Im too lazy to keep up with this now:lachen: I need to get back on it!

Pure lazyness helps too. I am just too lazy to do my hair multiple times a week lol

I find if I sleep in a silk scarf every night Im good for a week. However, if I miss one day, thats all she wrote :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks!

Moisturizer: How often is "as needed"?

I don't get flakes. It just itches because it's dirty. When I scratch there's dirt under my nails :perplexed But the oil I use does have tea tree oil, so maybe it's still ok...

I wash weekly. If it wasn't clean or my hair looked bad, I would wash more often. My body chemistry, hair type and lifestyle permit it. I could go for more time if I wanted, but I like to get at least a weekly DC. Everyone doesn't have your type of hair/skin type and liestyle, so of course our regimens are going to be different imo.

All of my skin, including my scalp tends to be dry and not produce oil. I don't work out hard, I don't sweat much. So my hair doesn't get smelly. I can't recall a time my hair or scalp ever was noticeably smelly with BO.

My hair is very coarse and thirsty, so it can take A LOT of product on it without getting weighed down. I moisturize and oil my hair at least once per day. I use an oil free, cone free leave in and a small amount of jojoba oil. The products I use are light and my hair just drinks them up... so I'm always left with voluminous hair and not greasy, limp hair.

I wear my hair down in a braid out most days. I don't really have any other options since it's short and I don't feel like fighting to get it up everyday, lol. If my hair was longer, I'd wear it up some of the time.

I shampoo and DC 1x/6-9 days. When my hair is flatironed, I don't do much of anything to it. I don't moisturize every day (I don't do that even when my hair is curly). By day 3 or 4, I may add a teeny bit of coconut oil or jojoba oil to my hair and ends but that's it. I generally wear it down for 4 or 5 days and then do ponytails or updos until wash day.

I deep condition regularly, use a leave-in, and eat well so my hair rarely gets dry during the week. I don't grease my scalp or use growth aids.

Thanks! I love your hair.

Thanks!

Moisturizer: How often is "as needed"?

I don't get flakes. It just itches because it's dirty. When I scratch there's dirt under my nails :perplexed But the oil I use does have tea tree oil, so maybe it's still ok...

Hmm as needed is every day and sometimes every other day:yep:

The tea tree oil is helpful for that because if it is dirty, the oil can help stop a fungus from growing:yep:

I wash 1x a week,generally on Thursdays so that my hair can be nice for the weekend.If i flat iron,i just cross wrap. I moisturize/seal as needed, so at least every other day if not more. But i use a spray moisturizer (AO HSR + water) and seal with a light oil (coconut). By monday my hair starts to get a little weird usually, probably more to do with partying over the weekend than anything else, so i start pincurling and bunning, and then i may do a super curly style (bantu knot out) on thursday since i'm going to wash it out anyway.

Also, i work out like 5 days a week and my scalp doesnt smell or get itchy so i dont really have advice for that.

How often do you moisturize your ends in between washings? Every day/every other day?

Every day. Because I wrap, I feel like I'm putting a lot of stress on my ends, so I have to make sure I moisturize them every day.

ETA: About the working out; I've opted for light workouts like Yoga & Pilates during the week so I don't sweat that much. I run on the weekends & I wash my hair on Sunday nights, so once it starts to get sweaty/ dirty, it's time to wash again.

Last edited:
i have fine hair, medium density, type 4a. I am relaxed long layered APL - BSL with a long bangs. i wash and roller set every 5 - 7 days.

no
How often are you applying moisturizer?
I don't moisturize. My deep conditioner and leave in keep my hair mositurized for 5 - 7 days. daily moisturizing never worked for me. if my hair starts to get dry I just wash and dc again.

Are you wearing your hair down everyday? sometimes i wear it down or I use a clip and wear it up. at night i pin curl my in large 5 large pin curls or i wrap. sometimes i will pull it into a loose ponytail and sleep with two large magnetic rollers on the ends.

Back