Question for naturals/transitioners with 4zzzzzzz napes

newbeginnings2010

In my transition, I've noticed that my new growth at my nape has absolutely NO curl pattern and it's 4zzzzzz. I have been cowashing every day, so now it's pretty soft (feels just like cotton), but it's VERY compact. I haven't been combing my new growth when my hair dries. I only detangle the relaxed hair. I run my fingers through the nape just a little because I don't want to rip out my relaxed hair. Should I be concerned about it being so compact? Will it dread? I was told that by my old stylist. She said that the longer I went without combing the nape while stretching my relaxer, the more the nape hair would start to naturally dread.

In my transition, I've noticed that my new growth at my nape has absolutely NO curl pattern and it's 4zzzzzz. I have been cowashing every day, so now it's pretty soft (feels just like cotton), but it's VERY compact. I haven't been combing my new growth when my hair dries. I only detangle the relaxed hair. I run my fingers through the nape just a little because I don't want to rip out my relaxed hair. Should I be concerned about it being so compact? Will it dread? I was told that by my old stylist. She said that the longer I went without combing the nape while stretching my relaxer, the more the nape hair would start to naturally dread.

You'll be fine, but you need to comb and detangling your hair sooner or later. It will mat if you don't. I agree with detangling at least once a week. I'm 6 months post, and the two textures are kind of getting to me, so I keep my hair in braids for a month at a time. That way, I don't have have to worry about tangling, and I only have to detangle once a month for takedown. Then it's back in braids, because I will make it to a year. :yep:

I would detangle it more often. How are you wearing your hair? Can you do braids or twists? that would keep the newgrowth seperated and less tangled.

Id say detangle and moisturize and seal...my nape is like no other hair on my head!!! It knots up and catches on the back of my uniform AND I get midshaft splits!!! But if I keep it moisturized and sealed daily then I can combat most of that.

When my hair was relaxed, I couldn't bear not combing my new growth. I'd work in narrow sections: Part and comb through starting with a wide tooth comb and then moving on to a finer one. I didn't even know about combing with conditioner on, or about the softness S Curl gives.

If I were relaxed today, I don't think I'd be able to change that habit of combing my new growth. And I'd have conditioner and S Curl to make my life easier. I think having lived with 4B hair for most of my life, nothing sounds more foreign/bizarre than leaving the hair to its own devises. :nono: Back when I was relaxed, I'd use Paltas to keep my new growth soft and I'd baggy. It was very "oily" but it made combing that hair so easy, especially after baggying.

But I'm no pro on long term transitioning. I just shudder at the thought of leaving 4B (or 4Z as you call it) hair uncombed for a week. :ill:

For whatever reason, I think my 4b nape is easier to handle than the more coily 4a areas that I have everywhere else. The 4b section does not spiral or curl back onto itself like the 4a section. But I still finger detangle every day and keep it moisturized.

I would detangle it more often. How are you wearing your hair? Can you do braids or twists? that would keep the newgrowth seperated and less tangled.

I'm still learning how to braid and I haven't found anyone that I trust to do them for me. I'm just bunning now because the weather is WAAAY too humid for a braid out or twist out on my relaxed hair. Once I learn how to braid really well, I'm going to reward myself with a human hair lace front for regular wear. :grin:

For whatever reason, I think my 4b nape is easier to handle than the more coily 4a areas that I have everywhere else. The 4b section does not spiral or curl back onto itself like the 4a section. But I still finger detangle every day and keep it moisturized.

Okay, thanks. I do finger comb it, but I guess I need to watch out more for my 4a hair in the front! I have just been assuming that the 4a hair isn't going to tangle like my 4b hair, so I don't really detangle the front and the crown. I guess I'd better work on that too tonight!:perplexed

BTW, your hair is beautiful!

Back