Question for naturals and curly girls....

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Do you try to avoid conditioners that contain cones? I know that the majority of conditioners are loaded up with them. I have been doing some reading about how they aren't good for curly hair when used over a long period of time. For those of you that use conditioners with a lot of cones...do you notice a difference in your hair?

I have been using Garnier Fructis Fortifying Conditioner for Fine hair which doesn't contain any cones. My hair feels pretty light...and my curl pattern is pretty tight after washing...

When I use Conditioners that have cones as the first few ingredients...or a conditioner that has a lot of them...I can say that I notice a huge difference. My hair feels a little weighed down...and my curl pattern loosens up.

honestly i havent been paying attention...i usually just use my suaves (i heard recently, they dont have any cones)...im still looking for a good moisturizing conditioner...

I do now. I used to not care, but I noticed that my hair started to frizz up after a while the more cones I used, believe it or not. And since I live in a high humidity state anyway, I need to avoid frizz as much as possible!

I try to avoid cones as best I can. My St. Ives and Aussie conditioners do contain cones but they are not at the top of the list (like Pantene). I use Suave conditioners (Coconut & Milk & Honey)for leave-ins b/c they don't contain cones. I also sometimes use Garnier Fructis for fine hair b/c it doesn't contain cones. I try to avoid them as best I can but I know I can't completely eliminate them.

I really don't keep up with the 'cones as much as I used too. It didn't make a difference in my hair.

i don't really mind 'cones. whatever works is what i use!
smile.gif

My hair must love cones. Co washes w/ Pantene S&S is the best thing to happen to my hair and Garnier Fructis was a disaster.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I try to avoid cones as best I can. My St. Ives and Aussie conditioners do contain cones but they are not at the top of the list (like Pantene). I use Suave conditioners (Coconut & Milk & Honey)for leave-ins b/c they don't contain cones. I also sometimes use Garnier Fructis for fine hair b/c it doesn't contain cones. I try to avoid them as best I can but I know I can't completely eliminate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Thanks to my HB, I am a big CONE watcher. My CO that I am using contains NO CONES. However my protein has one listed, but I plan to use that once every 6 weeks.

-lee

Cones really haven't made a difference either way for my hair. The products I've used with cones haven't had any bad affects when I've used them over an extended period.

Cones are silcones. Anything that ends in -cone is a silcone and they are supposed to build up easily in the hair.
I avoid certain cones (heavy ones) but not all of them. I have to use serums when I wear my hair in a wash n go now (the texturized ends won't act right if I don't). Then I always clarify after using them so they won't build up.

For those that can't "tolerate" cones what exactly did it do to your hair? Make it extra dry? Tangled? Knotted hair on the ends? I'm trying to find out why my hair is acting this way...just when it's finally starting to grow.

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Cones are silcones. Anything that ends in -cone is a silcone and they are supposed to build up easily in the hair.
I avoid certain cones (heavy ones) but not all of them. I have to use serums when I wear my hair in a wash n go now (the texturized ends won't act right if I don't). Then I always clarify after using them so they won't build up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info Tai. I'm going to check the ingredients of my products to see which ones have cones.

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:
/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Women&Number=524739[/url]

Here are a few common ones that the post has listed...

Cyclopentasiloxane, Propyldimethicone, Hexamethyldisiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethoxysilicate

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I remember seeing Dimethicone listed as one of the ingredients in a few of the products I use. Thanks for the info.

[ QUOTE ]
Lanelle said:
For those that can't "tolerate" cones what exactly did it do to your hair? Make it extra dry? Tangled? Knotted hair on the ends? I'm trying to find out why my hair is acting this way...just when it's finally starting to grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get two different reactions to cones.

The first is increasing dryness after using them over a period of time. My hair will feel GREAT at first, but then the more I use products with cones, the dryer the hair will feel each day when I go to wash/style it.

The second one is increased frizz. It's a long story as to why cones cause frizz for me (because they're supposed to keep frizz away), but I think is has to do with the fact that the cones seal my hair off from moisture.

[ QUOTE ]
Bunny77 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lanelle said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The first is increasing dryness after using them over a period of time. My hair will feel GREAT at first, but then the more I use products with cones, the dryer the hair will feel each day when I go to wash/style it.

The second one is increased frizz. It's a long story as to why cones cause frizz for me (because they're supposed to keep frizz away), but I think is has to do with the fact that the cones seal my hair off from moisture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunny, I have another question. What shampoos and conditioners do you currently use that contains no silicones?

My hair would dry out over time from using cones. This happened over and over again when I used Pantene for years. I never knew what the problem was until last year. My hair would feel awesome at first and then just dry out until my hair was finally clarified when I got my relaxer touch ups. Then the cycle would start all over again.

[ QUOTE ]
Lanelle said:
[ QUOTE ]
Bunny77 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lanelle said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunny, I have another question. What shampoos and conditioners do you currently use that contains no silicones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Lanelle, I was trying to answer your post over the weekend and then I lost my cable modem service to the hurricane. And then my power.

But I'm back... so here you go.

I am such a product junkie, so this could change by the day.
tongue.gif

However, here are the staples that seem to be my tried and true products.

Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo and Elucence Volume Shampoo are the only shampoos I will use. The first one is for regular use and the second one is a clarifier for when I have too much buildup.

For conditioners, I switch between a lot depending on that day's weather or how my hair generally feels. I like Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac and Giovanni 50/50 Balanced as my moisturizing conditioners, and Tigi Catwalk Oatmeal and Honey and Giovanni Nutrafix (I think it's called that) as my reconstructors.

For cheap conditioners, most of the Suave conditioners do not have cones. My favorites are Milk and Honey, Citrus Smoothie and Tropical Coconut.

Finally, I alternate between ABBA Nourishing and Giovanni Direct as leave-ins.

I know this sounds like a lot, but believe me, I don't use all of this at one time!
grin.gif
I shampoo maybe about 3 times a week and then conditioner wash daily and use a leave-in daily.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!

Back