Question for ladies who experienced a setback due to relaxer stretching...

~Hair~Fetish~

Can you please explain in detail what you think may have contributed to your particular setback? For example... was the hair breaking at the demarcation line? Too much styling manipulation dealing with the 2 textures? Were you using heat to straighten during the stretch? Losing too much hair while washing/ cowashing/ detangling? Hair getting matted?
What styles were you rocking deep into your stretch and do you feel a particular style was a factor?

Just trying to get as much information as possible since I'm attempting my first stretch (currently 11 weeks post). Hopefully sharing your experiences will help others avoid a setback as well. :yep:

Thoughts, opinions, ramblings, details, and advice greatly welcome! Now get to sharing... :spinning:

First of all, congrats on reaching 11 weeks on your first stretch!

Thank God, I have never had a setback due to stretching relaxers. Here are things I do (or avoid doing) so that my stretches are successful:

- Stretching too long...for me, that's going beyond 15 weeks, not because of breakage or matting but because my two textures start looking obvious at this point, especially since I don't use direct heat.
- Low manipulation styles like twistouts and spiral sets really help blend the textures during those later weeks.
- Daily moisturizing, especially the ends, keeps my hair stong and pliable.
- Excessive combing or detangling...on my weekly washday, I do mostly finger combing and combing damp hair with a shower comb. I just make sure the shed hair is removed, then I move on.

Hope this helps.
icon7.gif

For me I have had a setback I had relaxed at 26 weeks post. I had a set back because my hair had breakage at the line of demarcation. I did do protien treatments however, my hair had breakage because I did not do a balancing moistuizer.

Since then I have still went 12 weeks post easy. I am shooting for 30 weeks, however, since I am at 12 weeks post I am taking it 2 weeks at a time for the NG.

What helps me is roller & spiral sets.

My last stretch was for 21 weeks and what helped me was I keep my hair in sew ins or braided down under wigs. I still DC my hair every week with either style. The key to me is low maniplulation and constant moisture.

Not sure for everyone but, for me I take a Biotion supplement every day and I think that helps the hair retain some strength?...i think

This time around I am shooting for 24 weeks. Hopefully, I can do it!!!

I can't really say that I had a setback but I doubt I'll be doing long stretches (20-24 weeks) anymore because it really takes patience and the right products and techniques to prevent breakage at the demarcation line. Moisturising the new growth like crazy and co-washes are the keys to long stretches. I'll be retouching every 14-16 weeks now.

I had experienced a setback a couple of months ago. Due to the "extra" moisturizing and co-washes, the setbacks have stopped.

I haven't had a stretching set back (crossing fingers), but I really do believe that the key to successful stretching is lots of moisture and NO manipulation.
My longest stretch (pre LHCF) was about nine months and my results were amazing. Stretching works if you have patience...

I had a setback w/ breakage when I tried to stretch past 12 weeks. Now I relax at 10. I think it was from me using way more moisture than protein, then my hair ended up matting..It was a mess. Good Luck

I did too much moisture, definitely not enough protein..
lost a lot of hair at the 20 week mark.

Ran out of a product that was helping me stretch & I fumbled on the play :sad:

I did a good start over trim to boot in January of this year (3-4 inches all around)

I'm at the 21 week mark now and the stretch has been completely different. I definitely have a better balance of both moisture and protein and that works..
:yep:

I didn't have Wen then...
I didn't have KBB then...
I didn't have Qhemet then...
I didn't have Joico KPak then...
I wasn't doing my ayurveda..
I didn't have a pail of Hairveda Sitrinillah then
:look:

I assessed what I did wrong last time & have taken care not to repeat last year's mistake.

it wasnt reallly much of a set baq for me, but handling the thickness is hard.
im 10 weeks post right now and ive been half wiggin, but i have cheerleading tryouts on saturday which requires a high ponytail.
so i washed and decided to put my hair in a pony tail while wet and its extremly hard, i actually had to put conditioner in my hair, re-wet it in the shower (with head upside down) and attempt it again because the ponytail refused to lay down smoothly.

All in all while strecthing ive come to realize to avoid possible set back, LOW MANI IS KEY and products that produce LOTS of slip have become my bff.

strecthing is hard work but i can already tell a difference in my hair.

I did too much moisture, definitely not enough protein..
lost a lot of hair at the 20 week mark.

Ran out of a product that was helping me stretch & I fumbled on the play :sad:

I did a good start over trim to boot in January of this year (3-4 inches all around)

I'm at the 21 week mark now and the stretch has been completely different. I definitely have a better balance of both moisture and protein and that works.. :yep:

I didn't have Wen then...
I didn't have KBB then...
I didn't have Qhemet then...
I didn't have Joico KPak then...
I wasn't doing my ayurveda..
I didn't have a pail of Hairveda Sitrinillah then :look:

I assessed what I did wrong last time & have taken care not to repeat last year's mistake.

Now you know you gots to tell us which product missy. :naughty:

OP: Love you thickness. If my hair stayed that thick when relaxed, I probably would never have searched for hair boards.

There is a Stretcher's Support Thread which will also offer a lot of insight and experiences into the art of stretching. :yep:

My longest stretch has been about a year in the past, I had no setbacks, I did have to experiment on products that detangled my newgrowth well. and I wore my hair out everyday as I always do.

during that stretch I really liked garniers sleek and shine, even though that orange crap in there made me itch but it kept my hair sleek.

stretches can be easy but finding the right products are what's key to make manipulation easier = less breakage. if you find a product that actually detangles your hair well stick with it because it will make your stretch a breeze.

my last stretch my hair loved silk elements moisture poo and condish.

Fortunately, I've not had a setback due to stretching - what has helped me is steam; I don't think I could stretch for as long without this. Steam helps the detangling process immensely. Also low manipulation; I've stopped combing my hair between wash days and the difference in the hair I'm retaining now is noticeable.

I find the last 3/4 weeks of the stretch to be quite challenging and I have strong desires at this point to touch up so I just up my DC's to three times a week or even four times if necessary. I think I'll add another two weeks to my stretch which will take me to 22 weeks post.

Fortunately, I've not had a setback due to stretching - what has helped me is steam; I don't think I could stretch for as long without this. Steam helps the detangling process immensely. Also low manipulation; I've stopped combing my hair between wash days and the difference in the hair I'm retaining now is noticeable.

I find the last 3/4 weeks of the stretch to be quite challenging and I have strong desires at this point to touch up so I just up my DC's to three times a week or even four times if necessary. I think I'll add another two weeks to my stretch which will take me to 22 weeks post.

Steaming with a DC?

Back