Question For Fine Haired Naturals...

DivineNapps1728

How do you keep your twists frizz free & looking full without product overload?

I have fine, 4A natural hair; I want to twist it up for a while to let it rest, but after a few days my hair gets so frizzy that I have to take it down. :drunk: How do yall fight the fuzzies? Also in an attempt to make my twisted styles look fuller I make my twists fairly small, but this results in tangles come take down; does anyone have any tricks to volumize sparse twists?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :yep:

[Sidenote: heavy products always equal itchy scalp & build up for me so I'd rather stay away from them. Also I don't want to use extensions because of the tension they cause & I'm not up for loose ones because they slide out of my hair]

REFERENCE PICS:

o10690-vi.jpg

Freshly done twisted bangs

o10D20-vi.jpg

Twisted bangs after they've marinated a few days

I am checking in here..... It is challenging to make our twists looking fuller..

But- I am just here to support with pics...

With detangling.... you have to be VERY careful.....
VERY....

Attachments

• Copy of various shots June 2007 030.jpg
    Copy of various shots June 2007 030.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
I'm tranistioning so I'd like to know too....but when you detangle...each time you loosen a piece you should braid it...I guess....

If your twists come out looking scalpy, let the steam from the shower plump them up. I do small twists too and I don't know how to prevent tangles when you take them down. Some people suggest oil and conditioner on the ends. I have to take my twists down after 2 weeks just because of the root area. I usually slather AOHC on my twists each night for moisture, then tie it with a silk scarf. This makes the twists stay neat.

Fine haired natural here :) DO NOT FIGHT YOUR HAIR...it will win everytime! I make my twists small & MUST twist out after 5 or so days because my hair type tangles/locs so easily.
I wear a scarf to bed each night but I actually ENCOURAGE the frizz because it makes my fine fluff look more substantial. I'm realeasing twists as I type & I alwasy make sure they are moisturized or oiled for the takedown.

HTH

I don't think that I can be of much help because I wear twist-outs and I only get three-day hair out of it (including the day that I initially untwist). I apply my CD Leave-In & I use JC Hair Nourishing Cream.

I just want to say that I love both pictures of your twists.

I'm relaxed with fine hair.
I'm fighting the "frizzies" with Paul Mitchell's Foaming Pomade. Slather this on either at night or before showering in the morning, so that it can be absorbed in to the hair. What's also working for me for now is Using Mizani's H2O Intense Nighttime treatment (I've been known to use this in the AM). Scarf you head for at least 20 Min after using these to help "tame" the frizz.

These may weight the hair down some, but I don't think it'll do it enough to bother your scalp.

Fine-haired twister checking in. :wave:

As I've said before, the way I plump up my twists is to dunk them in water immediately after doing them. Here's a pic I've shared before showing what a difference that makes. (Bigghair's idea to steam them up could work too. :yep: )
TwistsBeforeandAfter-vi.jpg

The other reason I like to dunk my hair in water after twisting is the water makes the ends shrink and form cute coilis which not only look neater to me than the frayed ends of newly done twists, but also help to keep the twists from unraveling.
WetTwistWetTwistout-vi.jpg

Sometimes I will press and roll the ends between my fingers to stop them from forming "two legs" as someone once described them. :giggle:

I don't know why frizzes are a bad thing. I actually love my frizzy twists. I think they make my hair look as soft as it feels to touch. These are twists after 8 washes (4 weeks) and they looked furry but I loved them. (Funny enough, I have never had a problem with frizz. I don't even try to slick my hair down with gel when I do a puff. Nonie and Frizz under a tree K-I-S....:grin:)
ssytwiststhatImmadlyinlovewith-vi.jpg

If your twists come out looking scalpy, let the steam from the shower plump them up. I do small twists too and I don't know how to prevent tangles when you take them down. Some people suggest oil and conditioner on the ends. I have to take my twists down after 2 weeks just because of the root area. I usually slather AOHC on my twists each night for moisture, then tie it with a silk scarf. This makes the twists stay neat.

Bigghair, do you twist like Mook's Hair does, where she twists each arm of the strand one way (same direction each arm) before wrapping them around each other in the opposite direction to form the two strand twists? I will PM her to please come post the link to her Youtube tutorial here. She's doing kinky twists in the vid but the method she uses is the same the one I use and I find that not only does it prevent tangles but it also gives a neat finish that can last through many washes. For now, this lousy vid I made might help shed some light on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

When I twist that way (and I do it smoothing the hair to keep it from tangling--you can FF to see that smoothing action starting from 0:50 point in this vid), the hairs are kept parallel to each other and somewhat stretched, so there's no tangling whatsoever. Undoing the twists is just a matter of unwrapping the two strands from each other, and then untwisting each strand and pulling the hairs apart. I demonstrate how I do that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

I don't know if not using products helps me (not that I'm suggesting anyone do this, but just throwing it out there) but while people's hair locks if washed many times in twists, mine doesn't. Usually I have to redo a few twists that just fall apart on their own. I took some pics to show what I mean but don't have them handy. Will upload when I can.

Unraveling twists after a wash:
IMG_4423-vi.jpg

IMG_4416-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I am checking in here..... It is challenging to make our twists looking fuller..

But- I am just here to support with pics...

With detangling.... you have to be VERY careful.....
VERY....

So purrty!!!

But uhmm...you didn't tell us how you get yours to look thick. They're beautiful! I can't wait to have your length.

Frizzy haired fine natuarl checking in. The frizz comes no matter with or with out product. You cant fight frizz. I dont have much advice but you are not alone. Last night I twisted my hair to dry after my cowash last night and my DH said "Whats up Kizzy" upon seeing the finish product.

I twist DD's fine, natural hair. I can't help with the frizzies, but for takedown I dilute Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangling Moisturizing Hair Lotion with water and spray each twist as I take it down. This helps A LOT!

So purrty!!!

But uhmm...you didn't tell us how you get yours to look thick. They're beautiful! I can't wait to have your length.

I don't know... I have used lots of different stuff.

Honey to keep them together, Shealoe, andwho knows what else.
That pic is from Summer of 2007, and I swear - my hair won't do that any more. Who knows what I did wrong.

I am going to try the dipping thing.... Thanks nonie!

This is my twisting video tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5EC_5XPEU
If you go past the part where I'm adding the hair, you can see the way I twist. It will work for twists without extensions too. I twirl the hair around my finger as I am twisting.
This also helps make good twistouts.

And for twistouts it is important that you do not creat any hair from one side to the other.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the tips Ladies!! :yep: I'll try and use conditioner come take down and just work slowly.

I guess I'm stuck with the frizz :ohwell: It drives me nuts because to me my hair looks wild and excessive frizz means I have tangles galore. Le sigh (lol)

Anywho, Mook, I actually twist in the same manner that you do; it's the only way my twists will hold together.

Lucky's Mom, I too wanna know how you achieved the full look...you may have to travel back in time to figure it out, but if you remeber anything PLEASE share.

Nonie, that is not frizz lol! Your hair still looks neat and together even after a wash. My twists in the 2nd pic have seen nothing, but steam...after a wash I'm sure I'd have a matted, halfway un-twisted mess.

Have any of you tried braiding the roots to prolong the life of twists? Does it help? Does you hair end up looking extra scalpy?

Back