Question for all the bun lovers!

IMFOCSD

How long do you keep your bun in at a time? or Do you redo the bun daily/nightly? How do you keep your bun moist? How long does your bun stay moist if you were just to leave it alone? what do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun(hope this makes since)?

I have tried wearing buns(and I like them) but my hair gets dry...especially the hair that is smoothed up. I see ladies retains so much length from wearing buns consistently..I would love to try this again..any advice? please & thank u :)

I cowash daily, so I re-bun everyday. My bun stays damp most of the day. At night, I sleep with it in two pocahontas braids. In the morning, I cowash and wet bun again. My hair has conditioner in it all day, so it is moist. To slick my hair back, I use ORS Edge Control on the perimeter edges then smooth the rest of the wet hair back with a soft brush and eco styler clear gel. Hope that helps.

I cowash daily, so I re-bun everyday. My bun stays damp most of the day. At night, I sleep with it in two pocahontas braids. In the morning, I cowash and wet bun again. My hair has conditioner in it all day, so it is moist. To slick my hair back, I use ORS Edge Control on the perimeter edges then smooth the rest of the wet hair back with a soft brush and eco styler clear gel. Hope that helps.

@Diva_Esq Yes this helps thanks alot for responding! :yep: I have another question if you dont mind. How do you keep all that pretty hair from tangling while co washing daily? or do you just not use a comb and just gather your hair into the bun? TIA :)

Last edited:
IMFOCSD

How long do you keep your bun in at a time?
I put a fresh bun every morning

Do you redo the bun daily/nightly?
At night I moisturize and put my hair in 3 or 4 briads, before baggying or tying down

How do you keep your bun moist?
In the am, I spray with my S-Curl/Jojoba Oil mixture, seal with EVCO, comb thru, and then bun.

How long does your bun stay moist if you were just to leave it alone?
My hair stays moist the whole day, til I take it down each night

what do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun
I use a silk scarf to flatten and straighten my edges and all the hair leading up to the actual bun. I do not use any gels or serums or grease...just tie my head for about an hour (the length of my daily commute to work). When I untie, I get fresh, flat hair and edges.

@IMFOCSD

I put a fresh bun every morning

At night I moisturize and put my hair in 3 or 4 briads, before baggying or tying down

In the am, I spray with my S-Curl/Jojoba Oil mixture, seal with EVCO, comb thru, and then bun.

My hair stays moist the whole day, til I take it down each night

what do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun
I use a silk scarf to flatten and straighten my edges and all the hair leading up to the actual bun. I do not use any gels or serums or grease...just tie my head for about an hour (the length of my daily commute to work). When I untie, I get fresh, flat hair and edges.

baddison Cool...thanks for responding :)

I am gonna try bunning my hair before school today and use the advice I have gotten so far. I will try this for a week and see how it goes..thanks again ladies :)

1-2 days. Lately I've been taking my bun down daily to give my hair a break.
How do you keep your bun moist?I moisturize and seal everyday before I bun and it just stays moist and damp.
How long does your bun stay moist if you were just to leave it alone?I think it would last 2 days is the longest I'd let it go?
What do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun?I finger comb it, smooth it with my hands, and wear a satin scarf. I even sleep with the satin scarf on even though my hair is loose at night so that hair will stay smooth.

*I take my buns down daily to M&S then I redo them in the morning before work.

*Moisturizing and Sealing is my BFF! I first apply a small amount of distilled water (enough to coat all of my strands, but not enough to invoke reversion, I'm texlaxed), I then apply my creamy moisturizer (Currently using Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Curl Smoothing Cream...LOVING IT!:lick:), I then seal with either a castor based oil mix, a ceramide enriched pomade (that is also castor based, my hair LOVESSSSSSSSS castor oil) or a thick creamy butter.

*When I was sick I didn't M&S for 3 days my hair stayed pretty moisturized. :yep:

What do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun?

*I take my hair down from the one braid that I sleep in every night, I then take a fine tooth comb and smooth only the surface of my hair with it, I follow with a brush and then place it in the bun. :drunk:

Usually a 5-6 days

I usually keep it in the ponytail and just take out the sock or pins. I baggy the pony at night with some leave in and oil. I just tie up the base with my silk scarf.

I use a sock (I'm in the military, and it's way quicker and neater to use a sock IMO) that has been soaked in oil and conditioner. From a wash, it normally stays wet for 2-3 days. After that I start baggying the ponytail with leave in and oil.

2-3 days

what do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun(hope this makes since)? I make sure it's pretty damp to the scalp with a spritz of water mixed with conditioner, reapply gel, and tie it up.

My hair is usually always moist.

I co-wash 2-3x's a week and re-bun. My hair has been retaining moisture with my modified Curly Girl method and I co-wash often so I don't re-moisturize.

1-2 days...usually just a day bc I cant stand my hair being up and when I get home for the day I tend to unleash the beast.

How do you keep your bun moist? I LOC on wash day and the rest of the week I M&S daily. I mist with water, then apply shea moisture curl and style milk, then seal with jojoba or EVCO.

How long does your bun stay moist if you were just to leave it alone? Probably 2 days tops unless it was in twists and bunned--then 3-4.

What do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun? Add moisturizer and smooth up with hands...sometimes I brush the edges and nape with a soft boar bristle brush.

@IMFOCSD -- thanks for the tag! :grin:
How long do you keep your bun in at a time? Do you redo the bun daily/nightly?I vary my bun regi. I sometimes bun each morning & take it down each afternoon. If I'm going for a set it and forget regi, I keep it in for 2-3 days. Either works, just depends on what I'm going for.

How do you keep your bun moist? How long does your bun stay moist if you were just to leave it alone? If doing a daily take down -- I moisturize / seal in the a.m. & p.m. If doing a set it & forget it style -- I spritz in the a.m. and seal by running oil over the top layer. I also do this at night so my hair is getting moisturized / sealed daily even though I'm not taking the bun down daily. I also overnight baggy my set it / forget it style by -- putting on a du rag type scarf first, 2 plastic bags on top of the du rag & then top it off with an oversized scarf. My hair stays moisturized with either method.

What do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun? Once the hair is smoothed into a bun, it remains smooth because I scarf my hair at night.

HTH

@Diva_Esq Yes this helps thanks alot for responding! :yep: I have another question if you dont mind. How do you keep all that pretty hair from tangling while co washing daily? or do you just not use a comb and just gather your hair into the bun? TIA :)

IMFOCSD

It remains mostly detangled due to being braided in the bun (see avatar pic) then in the pocahontas braids. I only wear my hair "loose" once every few weeks because I don't like detangling....I am tenderheaded. I also detangle using the Ouidad Double Detangler comb and occasionally the Denman to catch more shed hairs.

5-6 days
Sort of. I am a fan of boho buns, kinda loose and unstructured. I use a scrunchie on damp hair to create a ponytail for a loose braid or tight twist then once I have all of my hair in a braid, I take the scrunchie out. I use hairpins to arrange my bun in the day and take them out at night.
I use LOC or LCO method depending on humidity and am generous with product on wash day. I usually just mist my hair with a leave-in then smooth my edges down with a bit of oil or styling cream and wrap my edges with a satin scarf before putting on a bonnet every night.
The hair inside my bun will stay moisturized 5-6 days if left alone. The hair everywhere else has stayed moist for 1-2 days without being tended but I prefer to nightly mist it out of paranoia that it will become brittle and breakage prone.
What do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun(hope this makes since)?
I use only my hands, leave-in or water, and a creamy product. I can smooth this hair as much or as little as I want and tie it down at night to achieve a finished-looking result.
I think bunning success depends on the look you're trying to acheive and your techniques for achieving it, respective to your hair type. If you have dense, fine, super coily hair like me, maintaining a very slick, neat ballerina bun every day could lead to breakage along the edges, especially if a brush or certain gels are used. That's why messy buns work so well for me. Plus I've seen enough bunning gone wrong to sufficiently scare me straight from maintaining tight or super slick buns. They're nice every now and again but not my go to style.

via LHCF App

Morning 'til night

Every morning

Dc weekly, honey treatment weekly and cowash weekly; Carrot oil on the ends daily.

Probably a 4-5 days. Never tried to go too long.

What do you do with the hair that is smoothed up going towards your actual bun(hope this makes since)?

I use Carrot Oil and NTM to keep hair smooth and going in the same direction. I sleep with my hair in a loose bun and the edges tied down with a silk scarf.

Back