Question For a 4a/4b Transitioners Who Are 5 Months Post With VERY THICK HAIR!

SignatureBeauty

I posted this in the Transitioners Thread, but thought I would post it Seperately to get a Faster Response. My Questions are:

(1) How Many Sections Do you Put your Hair in To Cleanse Now that your hair is Thicker?

(2) What Are You Using to Cleanse Your Scalp?

(3) How Do You Apply Your Conditioner for your Co-Wash?

My Daughter is Transitioning and her hair is very very thick and I think we might be applying products incorrectly, because she has alot of hair and it takes time to get the water to the scalp!

Thanks Ladies!

none...... and I'm reaching eight months ...I don't rubb my hair enough to tangle it up and secondly my relaxed hair wasn't too long when I started my journey so I guess it isn't much of a problem

I run a lot of water through my hair before applying conditioner and I use my fingers to detangle...just a bit

I think I use a lot more conditoner than normal.... my natural hair seems to feel like the conditioner is just not there..but I rub some in get a little water in it to help loosen the conditioner and help distribute it, I do this like twice as I squeeze my hair, rub it gently and give my scalp a finger massage....it works...:)

technically, i am no longer transitioning (did my BC at month 4). I am a 4b/a mix so maybe i can help.
(1) How Many Sections Do you Put your Hair in To Cleanse Now that your hair is Thicker?
I usually put my hair in three sections (two in the front and one at the back) because my nape area is very narrow (think triangle shape :lachen:)

i was using motions lavish shampoo AFTER a min of 45 mins prepoo with olive or safflower oil (i preferred the safflower, but its a lil pricey so do you)
However, I think any mild shampoo should be fine if you do the prepoo

I just apply with my fingers and pretend that its a relaxer. try to cover as much hair as possible. another trick is to gently use the pads of your fingers to press/squeeze each section as you finish it. this help to get any strands that you may have missed.

HTH

At least 4 but I sometimes just do it while I'm still in twists or cornrows.

I add baking soda to my conditioner.
Occasionally I also use Aussie Moist shampoo or Biolage shampoo.

I usually squeeze the bottle all over my head like I'm putting ketchup on french fries.
then I work it through.
But when I'm doing the baking soda conditioner, I apply it generously to my scalp and then work it down to the ends.

If detangling has become difficult, then you may want to try Silicon Mix, it will help.
Also around 6 months I learned that it was easier to detangle by slathering with conditioner and then combing through one section at a time with a wide tooth shower comb while my hair was submerged in water.
HTH

This is what I'm currently working with... I'm 7 months post and my natural hair will stand up while the relaxed hair lays down (while damp)

img1007zk7.jpg

So I totally understand where you are coming from. The new growth is NO joke :lol:

I fingercomb my hair and braid it into 4 big sections before washing.

I use shampoo. Diluted with water and oil (1 teaspoon shampoo, 3 teaspoons jojoba oil and about 5 oz of warm water) and put it into a squeeze bottle with a nozzle. I get the nozzle in there and squirt directly on my scalp.

Then I squirt some directly on the braid, squish it around some and then unravel each braid one by one and rinse.

I do the same thing if I'm co washing (I don't co wash very often though). I would not put any oil in the conditioner though.

WHEW!!! Thank You Ladies!!! We have not been doing that at all, It has become Hard for her to cleanse it in the Shower because she can't get it all clean because the Hot Water will run out LOL!! So I told her I would do it Twice A Week for her Wednesdays & Sundays!

NEITH! LOL!! I am glad you Understand, Your Newgrowth is a Soilder!! That is alot of Newgrowth are you Transitioning or just Stretching?

At this stage washing my hair in the kitchen sink is the best way to go...I first get a lot of water in it to get it softened (I'll finger comb a bit) then I'll start adding the conditionerl ike a described before and then I'll finger comb again....

I posted this in the Transitioners Thread, but thought I would post it Seperately to get a Faster Response. My Questions are:

8 to 12 depending on how much time I have
Tea tree oil. It is a great astringent and not at all harsh. I place it on the scalp and hair length in each section and braid it.

I apply the tea tree oil to damp sectioned hair and then step into the shower or wash in the sink. I make sure my hair is very wet before I put the con on section by section. I comb it through and rebraid it and let the con sit a bit then rinse it out and rebaraid each section.

My Daughter is Transitioning and her hair is very very thick and I think we might be applying products incorrectly, because she has alot of hair and it takes time to get the water to the scalp!

Thanks Ladies!

Hope this helps.

WHEW!!! Thank You Ladies!!! We have not been doing that at all, It has become Hard for her to cleanse it in the Shower because she can't get it all clean because the Hot Water will run out LOL!! So I told her I would do it Twice A Week for her Wednesdays & Sundays!

NEITH! LOL!! I am glad you Understand, Your Newgrowth is a Soilder!! That is alot of Newgrowth are you Transitioning or just Stretching?

:lol:

It started as a 4 month stretch, but now I'm transitioning.

Thanks Ladies!

Im not transitioning but am 10 months post right nw. yes the new growth is no joke!!
2-3. I try not to manipulate hair to much and just stick straight to scalp sticking fingers thru new growth directly to scalp.

clarifyer thn moisturizing poo sometimes ACV rinse alternated

i don't co-wash but i do go thru a lot of conditioner now. I layer it piece by piece as if im smoothing a relaxer on. it takes 4ever but its the only way i can get it detangled and soft and manageable until nex wash.

At least 4 but I sometimes just do it while I'm still in twists or cornrows.

I add baking soda to my conditioner.
Occasionally I also use Aussie Moist shampoo or Biolage shampoo.

I usually squeeze the bottle all over my head like I'm putting ketchup on french fries.
then I work it through.
But when I'm doing the baking soda conditioner, I apply it generously to my scalp and then work it down to the ends.

If detangling has become difficult, then you may want to try Silicon Mix, it will help.
Also around 6 months I learned that it was easier to detangle by slathering with conditioner and then combing through one section at a time with a wide tooth shower comb while my hair was submerged in water.
HTH

Mook your pretty much my hair twin. Your hair is so pretty omg!

Im not transitioning but am 10 months post right nw. yes the new growth is no joke!!
2-3. I try not to manipulate hair to much and just stick straight to scalp sticking fingers thru new growth directly to scalp.

clarifyer thn moisturizing poo sometimes ACV rinse alternated

i don't co-wash but i do go thru a lot of conditioner now. I layer it piece by piece as if im smoothing a relaxer on. it takes 4ever but its the only way i can get it detangled and soft and manageable until nex wash.

Thanks! You was actually the first person to come to my mind because you stretch so Long! I am gonna do this Today when she get from school, I am gonna LAYER the conditioner after her Shampoo, I will post how we did after we are done! Because to be Honest conditoner may have never hit any part of the hair close to the scalp!

I am a Big Chopper Not A Transitioner LOL!!! Thank You So Much!

I used to waste ALOT of shampoo and lose a lot of hair trying to get to my scalp while washing. The best thing I ever did was go buy some applicator bottles from the BSS and fill them with slightly diluted shampoo. I can spurt the shampoo RIGHT onto my scalp just moving the nozzle around my head. I don't even mess with the length. Then I slide my fingers in close to my scalp to massage and build up a lather.

I make 4 rough sections with my fingers, and then apply con, and let it sit. Once it's had a chance to soften the hair it's pretty easy to detangle with a shower comb. HTH.

I used to waste ALOT of shampoo and lose a lot of hair trying to get to my scalp while washing. The best thing I ever did was go buy some applicator bottles from the BSS and fill them with slightly diluted shampoo. I can spurt the shampoo RIGHT onto my scalp just moving the nozzle around my head. I don't even mess with the length. Then I slide my fingers in close to my scalp to massage and build up a lather.

I make 4 rough sections with my fingers, and then apply con, and let it sit. Once it's had a chance to soften the hair it's pretty easy to detangle with a shower comb. HTH.

ETA: I'm a week away from my 1yr post anniversary

1) How Many Sections Do you Put your Hair in To Cleanse Now that your hair is Thicker? my hair is not shoulder length yet as you can see in my avatar(so don’t really need to section tried it once it was kinda pointless) so I just let the water run on my head until its completely flat then I put shampoo in my hand first in the front, then the sides and then the back cleaning only the scalp since the shampoo as its rinsed off will clean the rest of the hair. By the way I’m 5 months post today so it’s a little bit of a jungle.(2) What Are You Using to Cleanse Your Scalp?
I use nexxus therappe moisturizing shampoo for me it doesn’t seem to dry out my hair.
I just slap it on there get it all in make sure all my hair is covered wait 5 minutes rinse off, finger comb moisturize, seal and scarf dry. Hth.

I don't put my hair in sections. I just put shampoo on my fingers, then stick my fingers through my new growth so that I can get to my scalp. I just wash my scalp and squeeze the lather through the length of my hair. Before I wash I stand under the shower head and let the water soak through my hair until it's completely wet. Same thing when I rinse. I gently push sections of my hair apart at my roots (hope that made sense) to let the water get to my scalp.

I used to put my hair in 4 loose braids, but when I did that I ended up with more tangles, I guess from shed hair getting caught up in the braids and then trying to take the braids loose to detangle.

For clarifying I use whatever is on sale. Lately I've been using Redken Cleansing Cream. For shampoo I usually use Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing, or I have Nexxus Therappe left over from before I started avoiding sulfates.

I apply it like a relaxer, going section by section. I use my hands to apply it. I make sure that every strand is covered from root to tip to make detangling easier.

Okay Ladies! I tried all of your methods and they work, Yes it does take longer but her hair was more moisturized, I applied the conditioner like a relaxer and massaged it into her newgrowth very well, It was very soft and it was a HUGE difference! Instead of twice a week we will do this Once a week LOL!! It gets kind of hard on her because she had spinal surgery a year ago and have a couple rods in her spine so leaning over the sink for too long starts to hurt her back (and mine)LOL!

So we have to Hurry Fast, but then I will find conditioner hidden under some newgrowth and we will have to rinse again!

But Thanks Ladies I am sure you have helped out others as well!

I know I am late, but I found something that helped when I took down 2+ months of braids in December. At the moment, I am exactly 5 months post.

I apply Cantu Shea Buter leave-in like a relaxer prior to the DC...rinse it out in the shower and THEN DC!!! My hair came out absolutely detangled, perfectly moisturized, and my hair is gorilla thick.

(1) How Many Sections Do you Put your Hair in To Cleanse Now that your hair is Thicker? No sections

(2) What Are You Using to Cleanse Your Scalp? When DCing, I massage like crazy with the pads of my fingers with continuous water. When I poo, I use Pantene clarifying poo...again with only the pads of my fingers. It cleans very well. I learned this from having locs.

(3) How Do You Apply Your Conditioner for your Co-Wash? Like a relaxer, but with less precision since it's just conditioner. I do it in the mirror BEFORE getting into the shower.

Is this what everyone does...applying before the shower?

Great question!!

cj

Back