Question for 4a/b ladies whose hair is...

Blossssom

bra-strap length and beyond the grave long...

How often do you relax?

I've gone from relaxing every four months to relaxing every three months and now I'm thinking of every two months.

The longer and thicker my hair gets, the more DIFFICULT it is to manage as the weeks go by. It was only three months this time around, and it felt like four :nono:

I don't know if any of you recall the young lady who had waist-length hair and she relaxed every four weeks... at the time, when I was still around shoulder blade length, I thought that was too frequent but now that I'm in the majors (just below bra-strap length), I'm wondering if she's RIGHT! Hair be out of control come month 3 or whatever.

So how often do you relax now?

Maybe people are at church... I forget people go to church on Sundays.

We'll wait it out together, Almond :yep:

:lachen:I just got home from church, I relax every 2 months, I would love to do it every 4-6 weeks but I'm scared. But you're right the longer my hair gets the harder it is to stretch.

:lachen:I just got home from church, I relax every 2 months, I would love to do it every 4-6 weeks but I'm scared. But you're right the longer my hair gets the harder it is to stretch.

It's becoming downright impossible to stretch!

Okay, I guess I'm on the 2-month schedule too now.

So much for thinking I could stretch 6 months :nono:

HELLS NO!

Oops, sorry. Forgot you just returned from church :giggle:

I'm waiting for answers too. I'm 3 months post right now and I can't wait till my Mizani Butter Blends get here, I can't go any longer.

I'm waiting for answers too. I'm 3 months post right now and I can't wait till my Mizani Butter Blends get here, I can't go any longer.

Chile, tell me about it!

Last time I went 4 months and tried to wash... :nono:

I had a FIGHT on my hands! Oh God... I almost didn't get through it :cry:

That's when I said NEVER AGAIN and relaxed at 3 months and it was almost as TORTUOUS!

As much as I love my hair, it's becoming a LOT OF WORK!

Even after a fresh relaxer, it's still a LOT OF WORK!

Chile, tell me about it!

Last time I went 4 months and tried to wash... :nono:

I had a FIGHT on my hands! Oh God... I almost didn't get through it :cry:

That's when I said NEVER AGAIN and relaxed at 3 months and it was almost as TORTUOUS!

As much as I love my hair, it's becoming a LOT OF WORK!

Even after a fresh relaxer, it's still a LOT OF WORK!

It is A LOT of work; detangling is a job. I was sitting on the couch for like a hour today trying to pick through my newgrowth with my fingers. I tried doing it only with conditioner but if i don't pick through it first it gets knotted as soon as water hits it. UGH.:wallbash:

I'm shocked that it is harder to stretch w/ longer hair. I always assumed that longer the hair was the easier it would be to stretch. :scratchch

I'm approximately MBL, and I touchup every 8 weeks. I've experimented with stretching my relaxers longer, but it just doesn't work for me.

I was relaxing anywhere from 20-26 weeks post. Last time I relaxed at 16 weeks.

I'm at 14 weeks post now, so we'll see how I feel in a couple weeks.

It is A LOT of work; detangling is a job. I was sitting on the couch for like a hour today trying to pick through my newgrowth with my fingers. I tried doing it only with conditioner but if i don't pick through it first it gets knotted as soon as water hits it. UGH.:wallbash:

There is absoluetely no way I would ever try to battle my new growth without running water and lots of conditioner. I've learned not to f*** with my new growth while strteching..lol.helps me stretch longer. I usually stretch every 5-6 months. I'm about to do a year.

There is absoluetely no way I would ever try to battle my new growth without running water and lots of conditioner. I've learned not to f*** with my new growth while strteching..lol.helps me stretch longer. I usually stretch every 5-6 months. I'm about to do a year.

Wow, really?:blush: Are you considering going natural?

I used to be able to go to 14 maybe even 16 weeks now I'm down to 10 to 12 weeks. I usually try hard for 12 though.

I'm glad that you started this thread. I thought that it was just my hair that was acting up. Now that my hair is longer, the tangles are ridiculous!!! :wallbash: So stretching is getting harder. I've been stretching between 10-12 weeks, and now I think I'm going to try between 8-10 weeks.

I'm shocked that it is harder to stretch w/ longer hair. I always assumed that longer the hair was the easier it would be to stretch. :scratchch

I thought that too. I know for me with my above shoulder length hair I have to relax every 9 weeks. At 4 weeks my new growth is kicking and I have problems making my hair look sleek, but I fight it out for the next 5 weeks. I always though it would get easier as it gets longer because you have more style options and I thought the weight of the hair would pull it down.

Read through the responses and will respond... but damn! Life's a b**ch, huh?

Yea... easier the longer it gets... don't touch the new growth :nono:

8-10 weeks :yep:

Something has GOT to give! Somewhere...

I still go every 3 months even though hair is now below BSL. I find it is easier to stretch the longer it gets :yep:. But then, I don't mess with my new growth whatsoever except on on wash days and then only when it its well conditioned and moisturized and then I use a version of Silver2 scarf method to dry and its "hands off" until next wash. I do moisturize and oil the rest of my length in between washes, but I leave that new growth strictly alone, especially after 8 weeks . . .

That's funny b/c I found it easier to stretch now that my hair is getting longer (gracing BSL btw). I'm 10 weeks post now and I can soooo do another month or probably 2 :yep:

I relax every 8-9 weeks and I'm BSL. I find that I have more tangles down the length of my hair (I guess its just harder to keep longer hair tangle free and straight...once the wind gets at it, its a wrap) but overall I probably could stretch longer if I wanted to.

I find that I don't NEED to get it relaxed like clockwork like I did when it was shorter. So, yes, it is easier to maintain.

Last edited:
That's funny b/c I found it easier to stretch now that my hair is getting longer (gracing BSL btw). I'm 10 weeks post now and I can soooo do another month or probably 2 :yep:

I relax every 8-9 weeks and I'm BSL. I find that I have more tangles down the length of my hair (I guess its just harder to keep longer hair tangle free and straight...once the wind gets at it, its a wrap) but overall I probably could stretch longer if I wanted to.

I find that I don't NEED to get it relaxed like clockwork like I did when it was shorter. So, yes, it is easier to maintain.

This is good to hear. I was starting to get worried.

Back