QUESTION: Essential Oils and Conditioning

selly707

Ok... so I read a lot about people putting oils in their conditioner and I don't quite understand it. I've done all sorts of searches, and it seems like it's in everyone's reggie, but I haven't been able to find any reasons why people do this. What does adding oils in your conditioner do?? How is it beneficial to the hair? Is it better to add a whole bunch of different types of oils or just one good one?? Do the oils have different properties?? Am I gonna have to buy all of them to figure this one out????

I'm sorry for asking so many questions at once, but I am SO completely in the dark on this one. And I just don't get it :nono:. Can anyone help me out here?

A Google search can reveal what essential oils do for hair. Here's one find:

Health, natural hair care is basically a very simple undertaking. Here are some tips of how essential oils can help!

Basil: Oily hair. Promotes growth

Chamomile: Fine to normal hair. Gives golden highlights

Clary sage: All types of hair. Dandruff treatment

Lavender: Normal hair. Scalp treatment for itchiness, dandruff, and even lice!

Lemon: Oily hair. Gives golden highlights; treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Myrrh: Dry hair. Treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Patchouli: Oily hair. Dandruff treatment

Peppermint: Dry hair. Promotes hair growth

Rose: Fine hair. Soothes scalp

Rosemary: Oily hair. Dandruff treatment; promotes hair growth

Tea tree: Oily hair. Treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands

Ylang-ylang: Oily hair. Dandruff treatment
http://www.care2.com/greenliving/essential-oils-for-hair-care.html

Most people add carrier oils to their conditioners... I have never put essential oils in, although some people do.

It's just more common to use a carrier oil. Are you talking about essential oils, like what Nonie posted - or other types of heavier oils?

The reason people put carrier oils in their conditioner is because these oils have conditioning, softening properties. They also help lubricate the hair and give the conditioner more "slip".

Examples of carrier oils... almond, peanut, jojoba, olive, avocado, coconut

Usually people pick the oil that agrees with their hair the most. Personally I like jojoba oil.

Most people add carrier oils to their conditioners... I have never put essential oils in, although some people do.

It's just more common to use a carrier oil. Are you talking about essential oils, like what Nonie posted - or other types of heavier oils?

The reason people put carrier oils in their conditioner is because these oils have conditioning, softening properties. They also help lubricate the hair and give the conditioner more "slip".

Examples of carrier oils... almond, peanut, jojoba, olive, avocado, coconut

Usually people pick the oil that agrees with their hair the most. Personally I like jojoba oil.

Carrier oils, that's what I meant :-). Didn't know there was a difference :blush:.

I get it now :grin:. Thanks!

Back