QUESTION???:Can you be a 4B with 3C edges??

Drtondalia

I have always had 4B textured hair; my whole entire life. But since I've been on my HHJ (Sept. 2010) and I've been deep conditioning once a week, I have found that my edges (and just my edges) are really soft and fine. Nothing like they used to be :nono:. Could it be possible that my edges and nape are 3C???

I'm new here and any answers you offer will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this sounds like a crazy question. I am here to learn. :yep:

@Drtondalia Your description "soft and very fine" is one that could apply to all hair types. Soft hair is moisturized hair, so any hair that is well moisturized will feel soft. Finer strands will feel feathery soft just because they're hardly there.

Contrary to what many think, 4B hair can be soft and fine. In fact, if you ask a lot of 4B folks on the forum what their hair feels like, they will tell you "like soft, fluffy cotton".

3C hair could have coarse stands which may look shinier than 4B but not feel as soft to touch as fine 4B hair.

Here are some pics of my hair DCing just after being rinsed and air dried. HTH

Attachments

• update12.jpg
    update12.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 82
  • update13.jpg
    update13.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 84
  • update9.jpg
    update9.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 72
  • update10.jpg
    update10.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 69
  • update8.jpg
    update8.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 74
@Drtondalia

ARe you relaxed or natural.

If you are natural then what i am seeing is not 4b hair.

ETA: I see you use heat on a regular basis (weekly) it is possible that you have heat trained your hair.

Last edited:
Drtondalia, it's hard to see your hair clearly but in the first pic, your coils do look a little too big to be 4B. You could be 3C or 3C/4A but we'd need to see a close up to be sure.

Myjourney2009 asked good questions and made good points. If your hair is heat trained, you could be 4A with loose kinks. The last pics do not show the definition I'd expect on type 3C hair, but then again the images are too far and if you'd combed through, then that manipulation could have disguised the curls.

I have to agree w/ others about your hairtype does not like 4b and also it is very possible to have more than one type of hair.

Your hair is gorgeous, OP! I look forward to more pics and possible regimen in the future posts.:Flahsssss:clap:

@Drtondalia

ARe you relaxed or natural.

If you are natural then what i am seeing is not 4b hair.

ETA: I see you use heat on a regular basis (weekly) it is possible that you have heat trained your hair.

I am 100% natural. I stopped using heat all together starting January when I started the half wigs. I keep it braided under the wig and redo the braids every three weeks. I decided heat wasn't gonna work for me.

Back