Question about trimming your own hair

suga77

Hi every body,

I'm new to this forum but had a question about trimming your own hair. My hair is past my bra strap and I just took braids out 3 weeks ago (wish i never got them) and my ends are see through. I definately want to get my hair trimed but my stylist, as good as she is at keeping my hair healthy, would just chop the ends completely off and all I really want is a dusting for now. Does anyone on this board with hair that long trim your own ends and is it difficult?

Suga, I have a few recommendations for you:

1. If you are really in need of a trim you may want to bite the bullet and get a good trim and then keep it up yourself.

2. You may also want to find someone to give you a dusting. I get a dusting about every 4 months and a good trim twice a year. I save a lot of length that way. However, I go to a cheapy Salon chain, e.g. Holiday Hair, Cost Cutters and let them dust my hair dry...don't let them wash or wet anything.

3. If you are comfortable, you can trim your own hair...it's quite simple. I used to section my hair as if I was going to do a roller set and work my way through smaller sections. I used to comb the hair upwards and take off a very minute amount.

If you are going to trim your own hair, make sure to purchase a decent pair of hair scissors. You should not use household scissors or dull scissors on the hair, as they cause split ends.

May sound crazy, but I let my husband trim my hair. He just gave me a dusting the other day. He's very good at it and he is a fan of my long hair so I don't ever have to worry about him cutting too much

[ QUOTE ]
lisatamika said:
May sound crazy, but I let my husband trim my hair. He just gave me a dusting the other day. He's very good at it and he is a fan of my long hair so I don't ever have to worry about him cutting too much

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I missed that one. My dh gives a mean dusting.

thanks guys. i think i will just bite the bullet for now. the braids helped me grow 5 inches in 2 months
shocked.gif
and my hair was already at bra strap when i put the braids in...so i guess i won't cry too hard if i get about 2 inches cut off
crazy.gif
I sure wish I knew someone in MD that did dustings. oh well.

[ QUOTE ]
lisatamika said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I let my husband do my trims too.

[ QUOTE ]
suga77 said:
thanks guys. i think i will just bite the bullet for now. the braids helped me grow 5 inches in 2 months
shocked.gif
and my hair was already at bra strap when i put the braids in...so i guess i won't cry too hard if i get about 2 inches cut off
crazy.gif
I sure wish I knew someone in MD that did dustings. oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suga, see if there is a Holiday Hair in your area. I find that white women give better dustings, because they tend to like having long hair. I'm not saying that sistahs don't like long hair, but sometimes that "trim" that they give us is more like a cut, because they're hating.

Back