question about relaxers, texturizers, and transitioning

bellezanegra826

hello all. i have been thinking about transitioning, or at least taking a break from relaxers. i have read some reviews about a dominican salon that i'm going to this friday and they were saying that the stylist encouraged them to get a texturizer instead of a relaxer b/c it is easier on the hair. i have tried being natural before and i have come to realize that i need at least a little bit of chemical in my hair to relax the brillo pad pattern. i was thinking that a texturizer would be a good way for me to be a pseudo-natural. so i was wondering, can a texturizer be applied (safely) to the new growth of hair that has already been relaxed? also if i decide that a texturizer doesn't work for me, can i put a relaxer in my hair later or will that result in a chemical cut?

eta: i've heard a person's hair can fall out if they have a curly perm and then get a relaxer, but i did that years ago and never lost any hair. i know that all of that hair has grown out and been cut away, but i don't want to test the waters twice.

Last edited:
hello all. i have been thinking about transitioning, or at least taking a break from relaxers. i have read some reviews about a dominican salon that i'm going to this friday and they were saying that the stylist encouraged them to get a texturizer instead of a relaxer b/c it is easier on the hair. i have tried being natural before and i have come to realize that i need at least a little bit of chemical in my hair to relax the brillo pad pattern. i was thinking that a texturizer would be a good way for me to be a pseudo-natural. so i was wondering, can a texturizer be applied (safely) to the new growth of hair that has already been relaxed? also if i decide that a texturizer doesn't work for me, can i put a relaxer in my hair later or will that result in a chemical cut?

eta: i've heard a person's hair can fall out if they have a curly perm and then get a relaxer, but i did that years ago and never lost any hair. i know that all of that hair has grown out and been cut away, but i don't want to test the waters twice.

Texturizers are meant to be applied to short do's only usally 1-2" sometimes up to 4". There are few who grow their out on texturizers by continuously applying to new growth only.

However you CAN NOT apply a relaxer over a texturizer. They are off two different chemical make-ups. You can believe you hair will severly break.

When I first started my journey I applied a texturizer to my new growth which was about an 1inch and the rest of my hair was relaxed. I was planning to bc but I wasn't sure if i could do it without chemicals. Afterwards my mom (stylist) said you better not try to put a relaxer over that texturizer - your hair can fall out. Not like i planned to do so anyways but its not a safe look. YOU CAN SAFELY APPLY A TEXTURIZER ON NEW GROWTH ONLY EVEN WITH HAVING RELAXED ENDS. But its best to leave it to a true professional or trusted person who knows where the new growth ends before it becomes relaxed hair (demarcation line)

You can opt for the texturizer look by using a relaxer and purposely underprocess your hair by leaving the realaxer on your hair for 2-5 minutes. It best to test a small section and time it to see which timing works best for the desired results.

HTH sorry for such a long post

Texturizers are meant to be applied to short do's only usally 1-2" sometimes up to 4". There are few who grow their out on texturizers by continuously applying to new growth only.

However you CAN NOT apply a relaxer over a texturizer. They are off two different chemical make-ups. You can believe you hair will severly break.

When I first started my journey I applied a texturizer to my new growth which was about an 1inch and the rest of my hair was relaxed. I was planning to bc but I wasn't sure if i could do it without chemicals. Afterwards my mom (stylist) said you better not try to put a relaxer over that texturizer - your hair can fall out. Not like i planned to do so anyways but its not a safe look. YOU CAN SAFELY APPLY A TEXTURIZER ON NEW GROWTH ONLY EVEN WITH HAVING RELAXED ENDS. But its best to leave it to a true professional or trusted person who knows where the new growth ends before it becomes relaxed hair (demarcation line)

You can opt for the texturizer look by using a relaxer and purposely underprocess your hair by leaving the realaxer on your hair for 2-5 minutes. It best to test a small section and time it to see which timing works best for the desired results.

HTH sorry for such a long post

thank you so much for your detailed explanation. i've always wondered why people texlax with relaxers instead of using texturizers and now i know why. i guess i thought texturizers were just weaker relaxers. since i can't say for sure if i am going to do a bc and leave relaxers alone forever, i'm just going to leave the texturizer alone. thanks again!

Back