Question about Oil/Water Mixes

PaperClip

Hello.... I'm looking for understanding about oil and water mixtures (with other products of choice, e.g., conditioner, EOs, etc.). I understand that water is the source for moisture and oil basically acts as a sealant for that moisture. But then as I read about different approaches to maximize moisture (I'm transitiong from relaxer to natural), it's not clear to me how the oil/water mixture works if it's mixed together versus the water and oil applied separately (water first, then oil of choice)....

What's the benefit of the water/oil (and other products according to preference) mixture versus just layering the products?

I hope I asked my question clearly.... Thanks in advance for your responses!

That's a good question. I have been wondering the same thing. I don't know if one way is better than the other but I prefer to apply the moisture and oil seperately because that way I know that the moisture is being sealed in and not sealed out. I feel like if the water and oil are mixed together, the oil may seal out the moisture before it has a chance to penetrate my hair. Probably not true, but I like applying the two seperately just in case.

I have always used oil as a moisture sealant on wet hair. I didn't do this so much as a transitioner, but then again my transition was really short. Once I BC'ed I got into the habit of applying oil to my wet/ damp hair and layering the product or leave in over that. I have cut back on my oil application. I do so about 2-3 times per week now.

Essential oils work differently than carrier oils. Have you checked out Motown Girls site? http://www.motowngirl.com She has some really good info on using EO's and how to mix them.

I add oil to my water/conditioner/oil mix becausse it helps with shine and it just makes the mix better.

Water mixed make my hair dull but when I add the oils it makes it shiny and smooth.

I still use oils to seal the moisture in though

Trust me, when you add oils to the mix it doesn't block out moisture or anything. I don't know how it why but it works out perfectly!

Back