Question About Heat

chicamorena

I've been trying to limit the amount of heat on my hair. So I usually rollerset my hair or let it airdry in pinned up pigtails to get it straight. I wear my hair down most of the time. But I want to know if it is okay to use the back of a curling iron to press out my new growth. I've been doing this for the last couple of weeks. I'll put a mixture of castor oil and wildgrowth on my new growth then press it out with the curling iron. Anyway I just want to know if this was okay.

Hmm, well it's still heat whether it's the back or front of the curling iron. Maybe you could come up with a new method. Try applying the mixture and letting your hair airdry in a ponytail - that could straighten out the new growth somewhat.

I usually do airdry my hair in a ponytail, but my roots do not get straight that was. This is why I use the curling iron. However, my question is if it's alright to use the curling iron only on the new growth, and not the rest of my hair.

Are you doing it only once every two weeks? Are you using a good heat protectant? If the answer is yes, I don't think it is a problem if your hair is healthy.

I'm doing it once every week and yes I do a good heat protectant. So far I have not seen any damage, but I just start doing it. I only do this when I have a lot of new growth. So it's only 2 or 3 weeks every 8 weeks.

nothing is wrong with using the back of a pressing comb. when i was using heat on my hair ive never mastered the art of using a flat iron. I didnt want to experiment that much to where i burt it off so i stayed away.
ive been using the back of a pressing comb for my kitchen and around my edges when i get newgrowth in that aread for years to lay down my hair. it causes no breakage at all. its when you use the comb part that does cause the breakage. ive been there done that. ALTHOUGH, ive recently discovered qp mango butter will lay down sides as an option for using heat. it makes it pretty straight minus the hardness of gel.
how much newgrowth are you average'n in between touchups for you to touch it up with the back of the pressing comb?

I do the same thing. Cathy Howse is an advocate of this method of taming the new growth when its time for a touch up so she can stretch out her relaxer time. When I reach 4 weeks post relaxer, I can not do anything with my hair except put it in a ponytail and I dont want to do that everyday. I usually relax every 6 weeks but I'm on a gradual challenge to try and stretch my relaxers taking one week at a time so this time around I will relax at 7 weeks (Jan 19th) So basically I will be straightening out my roots with the flat iron once a week after 4 weeks post relaxer, relax at 7 weeks,that means I would have used heat 3 times in 7 weeks. I really dont think thats a problem. I plan on alternating between straightening the roots after the first wash in the week and then the second wash I plan to just wear my natural texture and put it in a ponytail.Doing it this way provides versatility until I can relax.Plus I wouldnt want to put heat on my hair twice in one week. Its the ends I would be concerned with if I were you. At least with the roots,you will always be straightening new hair when its close to touch up time since new hair will always be growing out so its not like your abusing the same part of your hair over and over again.

Thanks
Tee Tee

Newgrowth I usually have about an inch of newgrowth after 4 weeks. But I use the back of a curling iron not a pressing comb. I'm too chicken to use a pressing comb.

Tee Tee thanks I remember reading that and I'm like you I wash it twice a week but only straighten the new growth once a week when I wash it on Friday. On my other wash day I just wear it in a bun.

Back