question about cowashing..buildup?

blackberry815

for those who do not use shampoo often and only cowash- how do you remove product buildup? how do get that light bouncy feel without washing your hair with shampoo? also how does your deep conditioner penetrate the hair shaft if you don't remove the dirt/product buildup and oils with shampoo??? How does the hair/scalp get clean?

Thanks in advance for answering the questions

I am a daily/often co-washer. Ill try to answer your questions the best way that I can.
I believe the type of products you use determines whether or not you will have product build-up. I personally only use a light oil or a very light leave-in conditioner. I stay away from loading my hair with a ton of products. With this technique I have not noticed any product buildup.

Most conditioners do contain small quantities of cleansing agents which I believe can aid to getting your scalp/hair clean. You may need to clarify your hair 1x a week to get rid of a lot of buildup if your having that problem.

You could also do tea or ACV rinses before your co-washes; I have found that these help to "clarify" the hair and get rid of buildup.

I do not think deep conditioners can penetrate with product buildup; if so... it would not work as effectively.

I agree with mane Attraction, don't load the hair up with product to begin with so you won't have difficulty removing it with water. Also, try to use water based products so that they wash out easily.

Can I cowash and still have a light bouncy feel when I rollerset? or will it be weighed down? I've oiled my hair last night so I'm unsure If I should just go ahead and shampoo or attempt cowashing?

I agree with everyone, I sometimes use baking soda or shikakai to cleanse my hair once a month. With baking soda, my hair feels brand new after 1 wash. ACV is also very good for clearing buildup.

blackberry815, my regi consists of about 95% -cone free, natural products. The only time I use -cones is if I'm rollersetting. Otherwise, I don't use things they cause buildup on the hair or scalp. Even my cowash conditioners are handmades. I cowash 2-3x weekly on an active week and 1-2x weekly on a lazy week. I moisturize/seal daily but again, no -cones. I've even cowashed and then followed up with a rollerset and yes, the hair is bouncy. I massage my scalp when cowashing just like I would if I used shampoo. I don't have tons of buildup on my scalp because I cleanse it often. I think it was mentioned upthread, the key is to not let the hair get overly weighted down with product from the get-go.

I am very new to co washing so I have not had any problems. I also use the mud wash about every 2 weeks. I try to use mostly natural conditioners no cones.

I stay away from heavy products and I use conditioner and leave-ins that only contain water soluble ingrdients. I am very careful to read ingredients to ensure that I am using something that will work with my no poo reggie. I do co-wash every couple of days and I notice product running out of my hair when I rinse before I add any additional products, so I know it isn't building up.

I try to stay away from cone conditioners, that helps. The times that I skip shampoo, I start with a long rinse with VERY warm water. That helps to remove product that might be in my hair.

I tend to shy away from products with Heavy Cones.

If I feel 'build up' I will use a Cleansing Conditioner and that usually does the trick to removing product and leaves me with nice feeling hair & scalp.

I cowash every other day. I use Garnier and Herbal Essences products mostly. I'm very heavy-handed with all my products - conditioner, moisturizer, whatever. :look:

I still have bouncy hair and I attribute this to clarifying often. Sometimes I clarify weekly, but I average doing it every other week with my moisturizing dc's.

For maximum protein dc's, I dc on dry hair first, then shampoo with Nexxus Humectress.

Thanks ladies, I've been posting alot because I really want to switch up my reggy. Since I had alot of buildup for this wash I prepoo'd with coconut oil and then shampoo'd. It actually worked out well because I had extra slip even after washing and deep conditioning. My rollerset was super easy and my hair feels so soft right now... I will attempt cowashing again at some point. But I do remember overmoisturizing when I did it a while back so maybe prepooing with oil might be a better option for me.

i only use cones when i do a wash and set or flat iron 1 to 2 times a month so i only use sulfate poo after that but i do a hot oil treatment or deep cond on dry hair b 4 i poo. i co wash with cone free cond ie gio sas or tj np and use it as a leave in ans only use oils for buns braid outs etc

I cowash when I'm not wearing straight styles.

how do you remove product buildup?
-I always acv rinse before I cowash. I also use natural cone free products when my hair is in its natural state. If I ever feel like there is too much buildup I use a sulfate free shampoo.

how do get that light bouncy feel without washing your hair with shampoo?
I think the acv rinse and lack of cones helps with that.

how does your deep conditioner penetrate the hair shaft if you don't remove the dirt/product buildup and oils with shampoo?
I DC to get soft hair and my hair always feels soft/manageable after I DC. I can't guarantee that it fully penetrated but I do get the results I want.

How does the hair/scalp get clean?
I don't put anything on my scalp except for the acv rinse. I focus the cowashing on the length of my hair. I look at cowashing as a way to keep my keep buildup at bay without fully stripping my hair between occasional sulfate free shampoo washes.

Sometimes it is ok to just wet your hair. And you should practice clarifying once a week. i don't use ACV though, I use aveda brilliant for that.

I've been an on again off again cowasher and when I'm strictly cowashing, I try to avoid using butters in my hair which is difficult to remove with just conditioner - especially shea butter.

If I did use a butter, I would use a cleansing conditioner like Curl Junkie Daily Fix. Sometimes I would make my own cleansing conditioner by mixing a little sulfate free shampoo (especially a clarifying one) with conditioner in a 1:4 ratio. Sometimes I would mix ACV in it.

Sometimes it is ok to just wet your hair. And you should practice clarifying once a week. i don't use ACV though, I use aveda brilliant for that.

Doesn't the Aveda Brilliant line have 'cones in it?

I co-wash weekly and hardly EVER use shampoo....I use CONES, castor oil, and Eco-Styler gel sometimes, if I am rocking a ponytail. I keep a spray bottle in the shower with half ACV/half water. I use this every time after I co-wash my hair. No problems at all with build up.

I wash weekly, and usually dont end up with much build-up at all. I usually cowash about three times a week, but wet my hair in the shower almost daily as I work out sometimes twice a day, 4-5 times a week. I moisturize and seal daily too.

bumping...

do any of you deep condition after co-washing?? or is that un-necessary. I figure if the conditioner is replacing the shampoo then why not deep condition?? does that make sense??

I love love love Ion Hard Water condish. it makes my hair feel so smooth and soft plus it removes regular build up along with calcium and mineral deposits

bumping...

do any of you deep condition after co-washing?? or is that un-necessary. I figure if the conditioner is replacing the shampoo then why not deep condition?? does that make sense??

I do. Not every time I cowash, but when I feel my hair needs it which is about once a week in general regardless if I cowash, use a cleansing conditioner or shampoo.

Missigirl said:
I am very new to co washing so I have not had any problems. I also use the mud wash about every 2 weeks. I try to use mostly natural conditioners no cones.

What is a mud wash if you don't mind sharing?

I cowash several times per week and what has helped is to use conditioners without silicones. When I was using Aussie moist I noticed a ton of buildup on my hair. At the end of the week I would clarify with ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo. Currently I am rotating between trader joes nourish spa and tea tree tingle conditioners which work great.

Back