Question about an oil mix

DazzlingD

My mom brought home this pomeade that she bought from a friend. Apparently its supposed to really promote hair growth. I read the ingredients and here are the ones that I remember:
Petroleum, Methanol(alcohol), Placenta oil, Rose Oil, Rosemary Oil, olive oil, etc.
I can't remember what else is in it. The pomeade has this strong smell to it
shocked.gif
. It actually smells like vicks vaporrub to me. My mom used a little bit and it gave her this massive headache for the rest of the day. She said that she felt really dizzy
ill.gif
. At first I didn't want to believe it, but she washed it out that same day and was fine the next day. Now I am thinking its because there are so many essential oils in this blend but no really carrier. Could that be the case
confused.gif
??????

Actually the olive oil and the petroleum are the carriers. Your mom just may have been too overwhelmed by the rosemary oil. My own pomade that has rosemary oil can smell a little medicine-y too, but I don't overdo the amt. of rosemary oil I put in. She might wanna cut the pomade with some more of her own olive oil or another carrier oil.

HTH
smile.gif

<font color="purple">I think the cause of it has to do with the ingredient in the pomade. Menthanol is an alcohol that's been used to open up sinuses in rubs such as Vick's. I think that caused your mom to have dizziness and headaches. Believe it or not, Olive oil is a carrier oil, and the rose, rosemary, etc. are all essential oils. My suggestions are: 1. Have your mom talk to the person who sold her the pomade. 2. Explain to her the cause of the side effects occured while using the product. 3. Throw the product away. Another thing to understand, petroleum (Vaseline) makes the hair stiff and greasy. I would not use it on a regular basis. You can do a research here on the board to find recipes for making natural oil blends, as well as information on a proven hair oil that promotes hair growth. You're smart to not try the pomade after your mom experienced side effects first hand. Hope to help you out, Dazz. </font>

<font color="purple">I have to bump because kenesha is right. Rosemary oil does cause side effects, if it is too much in the product. Go ahead and try the suggestion she said. </font>

<font color="purple">I didn't know petroleum is a carrier. I thought it made your hair greasy and stiff. Could it also be the case that the methanol(alcohol ingredient used in medicine rubs)causes headaches and dizziness?
confused.gif
</font>

It could be the methanol because I didn't know about it's usage. When I said petroleum was a carrier I didn't mean it was a true carrier oil, but it is a carrier in a sense that it cuts the power of an essential oil. Does that make sense of am I sounding confusing
drunk.gif

Back