Qhemet Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm: New formula?

CarLiTa

How does the new formula of the Qhemet Olive n Honey Hydrating balm hold up?

If anyone remembers back in 2007, the balm was an amber color and smelled more like honey.

I saw the new version, which is more greenish, less thick, and not as strong in scent.

Is the feel different?
I decided to leave it because I know that my hair loved the previous formula, but I didn't want to shell out $17 without checking on lhcf first :lol:

Is there any difference between the old and new?

TIA :)

Old has sesame oil, new has grapeseed oil.
Old has artificial phthalates (believed to cause cancer) "honey" fragrance, new has natural lemon essential oil fragrance.

Feels the same, sticky like honey.

I have a review on my youtube in my siggy.

HTH

Last edited:
i dont think i tried the old version and the new one i tried when i was relaxed so i must try it again.

OT: Charz im going to be all over your youtube reviews and blog.

Old Ingredients: Pure Olive (Olea Europa) Oil, Pure Sesame (Sesamum Indicum) Oil, Pure Grapeseed (Vitus Vinifera) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Emulsifier, Pure Wildflower Honey, MSM Sulfur (Methyl-sulfonylmethane), Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols), Fragrance.

New Ingredients: Pure Grapeseed (Vitus Vinifera) Oil, Pure Olive (Olea Europa) Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Emulsifier (Palm & Sorbitol Monoesters), Pure Wildflower Honey, MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Essential Oil Blend

Here's her email as to why she changed her ingredients.

Thank you for writing to me directly about this. I've seen statements suggesting a recent formula change for the Olive & Honey HB accompanied by an outdated ingredients list on several hair boards. The ingredients list folks are posting is being copied from other boards and naturallycurly.com's database which hasn't been updated since 2005.

Sesame oil isn't listed on the current redesigned product labels and hasn't been in the OHHB for quite some time. So, if you started using the OHHB within the last several years, you haven't used the formula containing the sesame oil.

It was originally removed due to complaints about allergies which was valid as sesame is a common allergen. I haven't used sesame oil in any of my products since then.

The vitamin E was used in trace amounts as an antioxidant for the oils, not as performance ingredient. It was removed as it wasn't necessary for stability.

it seems that qhem works hard to improve formulations.....
With that said. I am trying to stick to an old stand- by.......... Amla and Olive oil Heavy Cream. If that changes... I will cry.

A Little PJ Angel we'll just call::look: Charzboss -- sent me a sample of the Amla Oil and Heavy Cream Yesterday! Thanks Charz!

I want them ALL!

I haven't tried the Burdock Root, yet, but I Know at some point, in the very near future, All 3 will end up in My Stash *insert evil laugh here*:sekret:

I really hate the Olive and Honey balm. Just leaves my hair way to sticky feeling. I have 2 containers that I am slowly finishing by adding to my DC and henna treatments. But I love all of the other hair products from this company. And my favorite is definitely the Alma and Olive Oil heavy cream!!!

How are y'all using it? I got a small sample amount but I'm not sure on the best way to use it. I got the Burdock Butter Root Cream, which I :love:, but my hair doesn't like too much product so I can't combine them. I'm thinking about putting the hydrating balm on wet without any other product, but I think it won't be moisturizing enough.

Wow, ladies!
thanks for the responses! this really clears things up.
Glad to hear that most people love it, so I will go ahead and buy. When i was relaxed with long hair, I would just wash/cowash, use a leave-in, put the OHHB in, and then do a side braid.
My hair would smell delicious and feel so moisturized and thick. Ah, I miss how my hair would look on those days.

I wonder if I can use it the same way now as a natural.

Back