Q&A Session: Hair Rules!

mirrormirror

Celebrity hairstylist and author A. Dickey tells how to keep your hair hair rockin' in Black hairstyles and care guide magazine.

What is the bst way to moisturize hair that tends to be dry
Don't over shampoo. There are alot of high-end pre-shampoo treatments available that condition and protect your hair before you cleanse. Shampoos are designed for your scalp, while conditioners are designed for your hair. If your hair is Natural, you can do a pre-shampoo treatment with castor oil to soften the hair, but be sure to shampoo the castor oil completely out of your hair. For curly hair, the more you condition, the better, but remember, the higher the protein content in a coditioner, the more drying it will be, so follow with a well- moisturizing conditioner. An intense protein pack should be used every two weeks, as opposed to and every day conditioner

What should be involved in an effective, regular conditioning routine?
You can never over-condition your hair. Hood dryers really lend themselves well to intense conditioning treatments that you can leave on all day. Cholesterol is an important ingredient in conditioners; it's a nice softening agent for kinky, relaxed or texturized hair. Sometimes you can replace everyday shampooing with a strong, water-only rinse with (warm) water and massage to get scalp circulation going. Then, apply a conditioning treatment and sit under a hood dryer with a plastic cap covering your hair to ensure it penetrates hair strands.

What can I do to avoid a tendency toward hair breakage?
First and foremost, become aware of what you're currently doing to your hair. Breakage is cause be improper treatment whether it's overprocessing or relaxer chemicals or combinations of chemical treatments (like relaxers, texturizers and hair color applications). The hairline, where breakage tends to take place, produces the finest hairs, so you have to take extra care with how you apply chemical treatmnets and protect the scalp.

When chemical processing, what's the best way to ensure my hair's health?
You have to be smart when dealing with multiple chemial applications on one head of hair. Decide if you want your hair to be straight all the time; if not, get a texturizer so you can apply hair color without causing alot of damage. Also, the more chemical treatments you expose your hair to, the less heat you can use without damaging your hair. Try wrapping or wet-setting your hair as alternatives to heat styling.

Whats the best way to encourage my hair to grow long?
Avoid over processing your hair, and if its relaxed, apply less heat and condition, condition, condition! If your hair is Natural, dont fight it's texture; instead, keep it twisted, conditioned really well and combed out, so it doesn't tangle to the point of breaking. Also, always keep the scalp clean

What basic hair tools should I keep on hand everyday styling?
A wide-tooth comb, cholesterol in a cream form, a plastic cap, a hood dryer and your fingertips- for massaging and increasing scalp circulation.

Thanks for the info luv
cool.gif

Thank You--that was short and sweet.

Reading the part that says "condition, condition, condition" makes me feel like my PJism is justified
laugh.gif

Sounds like Dickey is getting his hair care tips from reading this forum.
grin.gif
But seriously, I have his book "Hair Rules" (for people with curly to kinky hair) and I thought it had good, solid advice, I even learned a few new tips & tricks. Definately better than Andre's book IMO.

i agree dickeys must be reading from lhcf..because all of us have mentioned the above or read it on here once or twice..thanks for the info...

I like the fact that he was willing to give REAL advice. Usually hair stylist like to keep trade secrets but he kept it real. Whenever you read hair advice, they usually keep it brief, with little detail. Dickey, like was said, gave the advice that we already know but it was nice to see him say it.
smile.gif
cool.gif

Thanks for posting Mirrormirror!

[ QUOTE ]
i agree dickeys must be reading from lhcf..

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing! He also mentions "product junkies".
blush.gif

Back