Pulling Out or Built-Up Shedding?

LDebagoria

After taking my braids down last night, before the shampoo I sectioned my hair into quarters, then began detangling with conditioner. As I combed through, not a whole lot of hair was coming out of my head, but I was still worried that I was pulling too hard.

I'd noticed that the LAST time I'd done this, I'd detangled after shampooing, and I noticed an awful pulling and breaking sound when I combed.

This time after the shampooing, I sectioned my hair again and re-conditioned and detangled the new growth, but a little hair was still in the comb. Since I didn't feel or hear any struggle, I'm chalking the loss up to shedding...but I'm nervous nonetheless...????

I think its more than likely built up shedding because when I wore braids constantly (like Id take them out wash and press and get it done again) my hair would come out like crazy after having the braids in for awhile. After speaking with my stylist at the time she just explained to me that when you dont have braids a certain amount of hair sheds daily but when you keep it braided for a month or two that hair that sheds daily comes out at once making it seem like you losing so much but when you add it up its the same amount that would have come out each day for that month or two. Sorry for my run on sentences but I hope that helped.

Probably built-up shedding, because if you think about it, the shed hair has no where to go when its in braids, for example. I would always get that when I used to wear braids. The last time I stretched my relaxer, I was using a wide-tooth comb for like a month (so of course it doesn't catch all the shed hair), and when I did relax, a HANDFUL OF HAIR WAS IN THE DRAIN...literally. I was freaked, but my mother said it was shed hair, and then I remembered the wide-tooth comb thing.

Back