Pulling Long Hair From Ends? Breakage, Natural Shedding, OR Need a trim?

HERicane10

What's the deal, ladies? I got a head full of healthy hair, just had a trim less than 30 days ago, and 8weeks post. WHY the heck can I pull long strands of hair from MY ENDS? This happens continually, regardless of relaxer stage. I'm DC'ing with heat atleast 1x per week, but usually 2-3x with some form of mild protein. NO heat appliances ever! HELP!:whyme:

Last edited:
Hi Hericane10-LTNS:grin:!

I would say shedding if they're long and you see a tiny bulb at the end. Part of the natural process is growth, rest and shed.

I can do this, too, and i just thought that I was pulling hairs that were normally shedding anyway. I would only be concerned it I were plugging up the shower drain with my daily co-washes. :grin:

Hi Hericane10-LTNS:grin:!

I would say shedding if they're long and you see a tiny bulb at the end. I don't always see a bulb, though! :look:Part of the natural process is growth, rest and shed.

Hey there, friend! What's up with ya? I saw that curly hair pic you had in your siggy and all those cute fall decorations on the porch! You was really rocking them curls girl! :grin:

OT: you know you still got DH's wheels turning about that IRS thang. :look: He's mentioned it like 3-4 times in the last 30 days. He thinks he's slick, he's trying to feel me out on the idea of him doing that and us staying here! :blush:

I can do this, too, and i just thought that I was pulling hairs that were normally shedding anyway. I would only be concerned it I were plugging up the shower drain with my daily co-washes. :grin:

Thanks Moroni! Does it matter where you are in your relaxer stage? I don't plug up the drain, but it just bothers me to pull hair everytime I comb or manipulate my length. :wallbash:

Hey there, friend! What's up with ya? I saw that curly hair pic you had in your siggy and all those cute fall decorations on the porch! You was really rocking them curls girl! :grin:

OT: you know you still got DH's wheels turning about that IRS thang. :look: He's mentioned it like 3-4 times in the last 30 days. He thinks he's slick, he's trying to feel me out on the idea of him doing that and us staying here! :blush:

Hmm, no bulb-that does sound worrisome. Did you test the strands to see which one(protein or moisture) you may need more of?

First of all-I cannot take credit for those lanterns:nono: That was dh's bright idea:hammer:That was his little summer hang out spot-->:beer2:

Girl he betta get on it-time's a wasting-There's a few people in that situation right now-I can think of at least two. Sam doesn't give that much notice so the fam usually ends up coming a couple of months later.

OT-whenever you come back, brang that silk worm witcha-I've something to trade with you:drunk:

oops-thx girl!

This happen to me this morning. As a matter of fact it happens all the time. I don't loose a lot of hair maybe 3 or 4 strains a day. I can live with that. I am eight weeks post as well. I plan to get another relaxer in December 2007. Until then I will do a henna treatment and continue to moisturize like crazy. I am also going to try this new shampoo and conditioner I found on Amazon.com that contain jobaba oil as a base.

Last edited:
Hmm, no bulb-that does sound worrisome. Did you test the strands to see which one(protein or moisture) you may need more of? Well it floats...so what does that mean? :perplexed

First of all-I cannot take credit for those lanterns:nono: That was dh's bright idea:hammer:That was his little summer hang out spot-->:beer2: Well, you know THEY gotta have their spots! :grin: Tell him I said he got a few skills:grin:

Girl he betta get on it-time's a wasting-There's a few people in that situation right now-I can think of at least two. Sam doesn't give that much notice so the fam usually ends up coming a couple of months later. :rolleyes: Ump! You OBVIOUSLY misunderstood the part where I said leave us here! PERIOD :look::ohwell:

OT-whenever you come back, brang that silk worm witcha-I've something to trade with you:drunk: Fo sho my nizzle! :grin:

oops-thx girl!

So are you strictly silk worm now? I know you were waiting on your MEGA tubs! :grin:

This happen to me this morning. As a matter of fact it happens all the time. I don't loose a lot of hair maybe 3 or 4 strains a day. I can leave with that. I am eight weeks post as well. I plan to get another relaxer in December 2007. Until then I will do a henna treatment and continue to moisturize like crazy. I am also going to try this new shampoo and condition I found on Amazon.com that contain jobaba oil as a base.

Well I pull a few more than that. But less than 25, I'd say! :perplexed I just needed to get some feedback from my lil "hair village" to know whether I should panic or not! :grin: What are you doing about your ng while your stretching? What styles are you doing? I'm wigging it right now! Just made 8 weeks today! I'm debating on relaxing this weekend or getting braids to go to December.

Last edited:
I finger comb between washes and I get long strands of hair coming out when I do this. I believe this to be normal shedding, Im also happy to see the hair shedd during my finger combing...This way I know that I am removing my shedded hair and it is not going to tangling up and knot with the rest of my hair on wash days. :yep:

I finger comb between washes and I get long strands of hair coming out when I do this. I believe this to be normal shedding, Im also happy to see the hair shedd during my finger combing...This way I know that I am removing my shedded hair and it is not going to tangling up and knot with the rest of my hair on wash days. :yep:

Charm, I can pull these hairs if I just smooth my hair back with my hainds. THis is not done during a finger combing or detangling process! :ohwell:

Well I pull a few more than that. But less than 25, I'd say! :perplexed I just needed to get some feedback from my lil "hair village" to know whether I should panic or not! :grin: What are you doing about your ng while your stretching? What styles are you doing? I'm wigging it right now! Just made 8 weeks today! I'm debating on relaxing this weekend or getting braids to go to December.

I get this daily as well. I airdry....no heat cept maybe once a month. I stretch to 16 wks so I do braidouts a lot of just airdry straight. My hair does this and it's scary at first but then I realize it's normal shedding. It doesn't just "fall" to the floor, perhaps because up toward the newgrowth it's stuck in the "forest" a bit. If it were bone straight, it probably would fall straight to the floor on it's own.

I get this daily as well. I airdry....no heat cept maybe once a month. I stretch to 16 wks so I do braidouts a lot of just airdry straight. My hair does this and it's scary at first but then I realize it's normal shedding. It doesn't just "fall" to the floor, perhaps because up toward the newgrowth it's stuck in the "forest" a bit. If it were bone straight, it probably would fall straight to the floor on it's own.

Girl, you are surely doing a good job of sqelching my fears with that stuck in the 'forest'! :grin::grin:

I think that is a brilliant observation!! Right after a touch-up I get bulb-hairs dropping to my shoulders, but into my stretch they only come out in the comb. I love listening to you thinkin'- sistahs!!

I get that too because i wear my hair airdryed too and not loose and straight. Sometimes the stray hairs knot up and it will hange at the bottom of my hair, sometimes they get stuck in the middle of my hair, and sometimes i just pull them off like you. I got worried untill i realized it was no where near 100 strings.

I think i want to comb daily though, because its annoying and it tangles my hair sometimes.
I was actually going to start a poll because of this and ask how often you comb your hair and whether you wore your hair straight (pressed, blowdryed, flatironed) or if you wore it natural or airdryed (wash n goes, braidouts ect,)

Last edited:
I get that too because i wear my hair airdryed too and not loose and straight. Sometimes the stray hairs knot up and it will hange at the bottom of my hair, sometimes they get stuck in the middle of my hair, and sometimes i just pull them off like you. I got worried untill i realized it was no where near 100 strings.

I think i want to comb daily though, because its annoying and it tangles my hair sometimes.
I was actually going to start a poll because of this and ask how often you comb your hair and whether you wore your hair straight (pressed, blowdryed, flatironed) or if you wore it natural or airdryed (wash n goes, braidouts ect,)

That's exactly what I mean. Maybe its the airdry thing. I bugs the heck out of me though! :spinning:

My new strylist suggested daily combing as well! :look: Maybe there's some truth to its benefits.

That's exactly what I mean. Maybe its the airdry thing. I bugs the heck out of me though! :spinning:

My new strylist suggested daily combing as well! :look: Maybe there's some truth to its benefits.

I comb my hair daily and I haven't had any bad effects from it. I find combing and brushing (with an extra soft boar's hair bristle brush) my hair very soothing...:yep:

I comb my hair daily and I haven't had any bad effects from it. I find combing and brushing (with an extra soft boar's hair bristle brush) my hair very soothing...:yep:

IDK about the brush, fabiennd! :look: But I think a mild comb through -after moisturizing - with a wide tooth comb- would be nice!:yep:

The fingers are the best wide tooth combs out there. They're seamless, easy to control, and can feel knots and tangles!:lachen:They can also massage the scalp!! The absolute best thing about 'em is that they are free!!:yep:

I've been having this problem lately. I don't comb or detangle my hair unless it's wash day. In between I keep my hair in braids or twists. Sometimes I will unbraid or unravel my twists to add a moisturizer & seal and by the time I get to the end of my strand there is that hair hanging off of the end. It's very annoying.

Well atleast I know its not just me! Do you guys think its specific to the 4's or do some 3's have this problem too? :ohwell:

IDK about the brush, fabiennd! :look: But I think a mild comb through -after moisturizing - with a wide tooth comb- would be nice!:yep:

I've been getting better with the brushing. Before LHCF I used to use a really hard plastic bristle brush. To make matters worse I was really rough :nono:. I agree with the wide tooth comb. That's the only type of comb that I use.

OMG i thought i was the only one experiencing this i thought something was wrong at first but my hair doesnt look thinner or anything so i dont really worry anymore

So are you strictly silk worm now? I know you were waiting on your MEGA tubs! :grin:

*Okay, I don't know about the float test and reading it's results. If you're sure that there is no bulb, then it's not just shedding. I'd say look carefully because not all of my bulbs are as large as others but I make sure and hold it up in plenty of light and sometimes I see the smaller rounder part better that way. If it stretches when you pull on it, then breaks, you need a bit more protein. You'll have to gauge whether you need a middy or a more intense. If it's just coming out when you rub your hands on it(again-> WITHOUT a bulb), "sounds" like you're lacking protein based on my modest knowledge<---final disclaimer:lachen:

*Tell dh, ain't no haps on leaving you behind:210:If one goes, they all go!

*Girl dh gave that hot spot right on up once the chill hit the air:lachen:

*No, I'm not strictly using silk worm. I rotate that with a few moisturizing lines. (got to use ALL this stuff up-:look:) I love that stuff-IDK what you're talking about.

Just be careful not to let the shedding lead you to want to over manipulate your hair. We can weaken relaxed strands by doing too much combing and most DEFINITELY try not to brush if at all possible.

"Low Manipulation" is one of the most tried and true methods for length retention out there. Most of the ladies who have reached their hair goals have done so by having some form of the low to no manipulation principle in their regimen.

So, be careful not to let shedding, which is a perfectly natural occurrence, lead you to hurting your hair in an effort to prevent or minimize it. The longer your hair gets, the more wild your shedding will look because the shed strands are so long. Don't panic! As long as you know you are treating your hair well and your scalp is well maintained, everything is likely okay.

If there is no bulb then it's breakage. I am battling breakage right now. Silverlotus suggested I really watch my moisture. Turns out I have been using way to much protein :wallbash: my hair has been doing so much better in just a day by upping my moisture. Found a cheap moisturizer with no cones or protein ( alot of moisturizers have protein in them , :rolleyes: ) it's called pro-line. I was moisturizing yesterday and there were only a few broken hairs versus the small ball I had gotten the day before. My hair was breaking just from finger combing. It's all good now, :notworthy:bounceline::worship2: to Silverlotus!

My hair is doing this I'm 16 weeks post. The problem when i see long strands and no buld. This is breakage what gets me is that there is taxlex sections and virgin newgrowth on some strands
But i'm still doing reguler sheding also

Im glad to hear you guys says this. I have been experiencing this usually on wash days. My relaxed ends seem to be shedding like crazy while my NG stands strong. I picked up one of those strands and some have bulbs but others dont and are just straight with no curl. But I have seen a few that have ng and relxer on them. Should I worry? Im really good in the moisturizing deptartment and I use Silicon Mix and Mane N Tail as my protein, so I figured I was pretty good there.

Back