Pulled back hair

queenspence

For those of you wearing buns and ponytails daily, have you noticed thinner edges? What about hair breaking off in the middle or where the bun actually is? Or drier hair when taking the bun down? I have always heard this breaks your hair off but I know many ladies use this as a protective style.

I wear a bun (double strand twisted, wrapped around and secured with bobby pins) daily, and my ends are usually dry when I take it down for the day. I always re-wet and moisturize my ends when I redo the bun in the mornings.

I haven't noticed thinner edges or nape...if it feels too tight, I just make the bun a little looser. I haven't noticed any thinner patches in the middle either.

I try not to stress my hair out by sleeping with my hair loose at night so I'm not bunned up 24-7. Gotta let the scalp breathe...

I pull my hair back in a bun or pony 5-7 days a week. I don't have thinning edges nor do I experience breaking. I believe it's because I don't wear my pony/bun at the same level all the time. Sometime I wear it really low and other time I have it a bit higher. I also make sure that it is not too tight which might the reason why some experience thinning edges. I do the whole head baggy method so that my hair can relax at night from having it in a pony/bun all day.

Starian and Xavier you both have nice hair. I guess that goes for people wearing tight buns or ponytails and never taking them down.

I wear buns almost all the time. This is what me everyday style looks like:

Picture078-1.jpg

Picture082-1.jpg

I haven't had any problems at all with bunning. No breakage or thinning. I don't pull my hair back tightly and I vary the position of my bun from day to day, sometimes I make a low chignon, sometimes a high ballet bun... I use large hairpins, they don't pull and stress my hair the way bobby pins do.

I don't have problems with my hair pulled back. As long as your switch up the location of your ponytail and don't do your ponytail really tight, you shouldn't have any problems.

i have issues with my edges, but i have always had these issues...its hereditary. this year i will be more proactive, taking minoval or rogaine or visiting a derm to get shots or some sort of treatment. but i still wear buns 99% of the time and it is not affecting any other part of my hair.

queenspence said:
WOW. your hair is gorgeous, do you henna?

:blush:Thanks, my natural hair color is dark but I always use Sebastian's Colourshine (any color) after a relaxer, so my hair looks shinny and sometimes with highglites or darker. I love all the shades just for fun:look:

queenspence said:
For those of you wearing buns and ponytails daily, have you noticed thinner edges? What about hair breaking off in the middle or where the bun actually is? Or drier hair when taking the bun down? I have always heard this breaks your hair off but I know many ladies use this as a protective style.

No, Queen. I had thinning edges from using a permanent hair color, former salon constantly overlapping the relaxer and constant wrapping which caused me not to pay attention to my edges until one day I looked in shock to see the thinning and broken hairs all over my head. Since LHCF I have used Surge, MTG and bunning, baggies. I do not pull my hair tightly back but use a boar brush lightly once in a while to make the edges flatten out. I braid in a 2 or 3 twist/braid before the bun or I french twist/braid; then spray with moisturizers and then oil.
I bun or add the phony pony. Once in a while I use INFUSIUM 23 or TRESEMME detangler. End of day my hair is usually still moisturized.

Back