Psa - Please Stop Putting 10 Packs Of Crochet Weave In Your Head

naturalmanenyc

Crochet braids came back with a vengeance and tons of people are getting them installed and doing them on their own. Marley hair crochet seems to be the hottest trend but people are just going overboard with it.

A woman who works in my complex showed up with a crochet style and a neighbor, an elderly woman, ripped into her so bad with negative comments that the next day the style was removed. It's easier to add hair than to try to thin it out.

Mods, please move to Hair Forum.

Last edited:
Ummm, I know it seems mean, but I have to agree. You may be doing some one a favor by suggesting less is better; ....(I don't know how to do that nicely though)

I did my own 2x earlier this year, lets just say that that added weight on my thin crown did some damage that I didn't anticipate. I now have 2 spots to "nurture" back to health and unfortunately they are near the my front/temple hair line. "Lesson Learned!"

LOL old people.

A couple of years ago I went to visit my gran and she was like " YOU FACE IS LICCLE, LICCLE AND DAT HAIR TOO THICK. LORD HAH MERCY!"

I have a love hate relationship with my gran, but it made me laugh. I looked in the mirror and it was true anyway. That's the first time in my life she's ever made comment about my hair, so I took it with an open mind since she doesn't talk about my appearance often.

I like the lady in the video's hair because it suits her, but personally I can't carry extra packs. Not my best look.

Eh, If she likes it who cares what the old lady thinks. Her opinion is simply that, a opinion. Ultimately Ms. Crochet is the one who has to wear the style. Why is the old lady so invested? She needs a hobby if someone's hairstyle choice bothers her that badly. Maybe oh girl can teach her how to crochet :look:...:giggle:.

Unfortunately, some older women are not open to different hair styles, especially natural looking styles. They also think they can say anything they want to younger generations. I tend to just ignore their ignorance.

If this ain't the truth. Old people really believe that their age allows them to comment how they see fit and young people should just listen because anything else is disrespectful :rolleyes:

Last edited:
She's back to wearing her normal straight hair wig.
The older neighbor apparently was deeply invested. She stopped twice to make negative comments.

I've noticed that sometimes older woman can be catty and jealous. For some reason I think some women think if we are the same race they can say what they want and it should be okay. i'll never forget when a teacher told my mother she shouldnt leave her office without lipstick. WTH. Would she have said the same thing to a white coworker? She just had to put her in her place didn't she. I don't want to be like that when I'm older.

I like big hair. I think the youtuber's hair is pretty and full.

I think some people like thin, little hair and some like big, thick, bouncy hair. That's why some folks use various number of packs of hair for their individual look.

I wish a neighbor would say something about my hair. I sure would not be removing it. I need to know what said neighbor's hair looks like.

I've done my own crochet braids about 3 times. Each time it has only taken me 2 hours to put in. I love big hair and I do shape it with scissors. To each their own, do what makes you happy and not others

Since the lady is older, I wonder if it had something to do with big natural hair being considered "unkept" to her. Many from older generations still believe in hiding your natural hair and she may have been appalled that she would "choose" to where big kinky fake hair rather than long straight european hair.

I personally like it when Black women wear fake natural hair (oxymoron? lol). Its a step up from having to have indian hair all the time.

Back