PSA - Please leave your edges out when wearing lace wigs

naturalmanenyc

I highly recommend a color that matches your own hair and that the edges be left out for blending. Or buy a wig with baby hair, tweak the wig and make your own, something.

I was at a work event and immediately noticed a lace wig that was applied poorly. The hair was pulled down too far and the woman had no edges to speak of at all. It was eyebrows, forehead and BAM! Full head of hair with no graduation of hair and no baby hair on the wig.

I showed DH the photos since I have to select a few for the company newsletter and he said "What's with the girl in the hair hat.":nono:

So not a good look. We saw someone at the grocery store with a similar look, except she was with what seemed to be a close girlfriend who DH swears is a hater since she let her friend walk around in a "hair hat."

I do not know the name of the woman from the work event and probably would not have felt comfortable enough to pull her aside even if I did know her name. I really wanted to point her to the BHM lace wig section but that may have come off as rude.

Ms. Lola has a great video for lace front beginners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1gp_0NNC7s

This youtubers has some great tutorials for using your own hairline with a lace wig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBxoKYY7RUc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRF_Qcmd51g

Last edited:
Is it even possible to leave out the edges? I thought the LF wigs are supposed to be glued down around the perimeter... glued to the skin part.

Some ladies apply lace wigs behind their own hair line, I guess like a half wig but with a nude wig cap so it can be parted?

Some ladies also use the baby hairs on the wig to make it look more realistic.

Is it even possible to leave out the edges? I thought the LF wigs are supposed to be glued down around the perimeter... glued to the skin part.

This woman is in about 50% of the photos including some with presenters so I will have to use a few "hair hat" photos in the newsletter.

She saw photos being taken & we have put out newsletters with photos for a while. Hopefully she will not be offended.

Last edited:
I can't figure out which one is worse...

The Kirstie Alley hair line or the Trina/ lil Kim hair line :smirk:

Last edited:
Some ladies apply lace wigs behind their own hair line, I guess like a half wig but with a nude wig cap so it can be parted?

Some ladies also use the baby hairs on the wig to make it look more realistic.

OK, I'm as confused as Jazala. :crazy: Since the lace front is glued on, then you would be gluing it onto your scalp after leaving hair out? Isn't that risky in that you could get glue on your hair and lead to damage?

Methinks the lace fronts just need to have a more natural looking "hairline". Otherwise, I'd rather have a hair hat than risk damaging my hair or hairline.

Leaving out the edges will result in you having NO edges due to the glue! They just need a new wig or cut some babyhairs or something.

I am not a regular lace wig wearer (only tried 2 synthetics) but I've seen full lace wigs applied with NO GLUE. Some ladies use bobby pins.

You don't have to glue the wig on in the front. Most wigs have straps in them so you can adjust them tight enough where you don't need glue. Also, if you place the wig behind your hairline, your hair will hide the hair line.

I've done this several times with my lace front wigs. Actually I had to because many wigs are too small for me (I have a big head.).

:rofl: I built up the courage and asked one girl "why?" , she said that it was not a lace wig she had on but a half wig in the back with tracks glued down in the front and on her forehead! :ohwell: :rofl:

:rofl: I built up the courage and asked one girl "why?" , she said that it was not a lace wig she had on but a half wig in the back with tracks glued down in the front and on her forehead! :ohwell: :rofl:

like this?

20091214_040717_l_e50972145d234.jpg

Sorry for the large pic

I saw two "hair hats" here in the very small city of Basel... where we dont even have that many women of colour. And I was just sooooo disappointed because these ladies were advising my friend (she is a stylist) to get a lace wig.

I think its even worse when the hair on the lace wig is too unnatural to be growing out of someone scalp eg too fine, incredibly long, too shiny, too full.... and then the crazy crazy hairline :nono:

Hair hat..LOL!:lachen:
My brother calls it a Hair Helmet. When I told him I was going to be wearing braids for awhile during my transition and afterwards in order to hide my hair as it grows he told me " i dont care what you do just dont go around wearing one of those hair helmets that the girls at my school do". I had no idea what he was talking about at first until I saw one for myself. Thats exactly what it looks like. But you have seen nothing until you have seen it on a girl who's wig glue is melting off onto the side and then dried up and looks like black streaks running down her face :blush:.

No offense to anyone but unless you are really and I mean REALLY skilled at applying a lacefront you really shouldnt let it touch your head. I have yet to see one that looks passable but for some reason just about EVERYONE has them. Especially at my school.

Folks in VA dont give a dam Niever.
yes Niever.

Hell they wear half wigs as hole wigs with a straight face.

You are right about that! I went to my hometown (Richmond) in May and my aunt had on the worst lacefront ever! It was bad enough that it started right at her hairline, but it was short and it wasn't styled...just sorta brushed back. All I could do was smh :nono:

No offense to anyone but unless you are really and I mean REALLY skilled at applying a lacefront you really shouldnt let it touch your head. I have yet to see one that looks passable but for some reason just about EVERYONE has them. Especially at my school.

Girl! You are reading my mind...if Beyonce and Tyra can barely make their $2,000 lacefronts look believable what makes you think you can make your $39.99 one look real. :lachen:Come on, ladies!

The only lace wigs I've ever seen with a natural looking hairline are the ones which have the baby hairs hand sewn in there. Those wigs are expeeeensiiiiive. Most peeps just buy the cheaper ones and to me they are so obvious. I think if you don't have the money to buy a good quality lace front then you should just buy a regular wig.

:lachen: @ the thought of eyebrows and hairlines meeting to become one.. :lachen:.. so many offenders to little time to point out all that is wrong with it. I need some females to read manuals and ish before they apply hair.. committing all these weave felonies and ish.. :lachen:

Back