protien treatment support thread

girlcherokee

please correct me if this already exist - but i thought it might be nice to have a protien treatment support thread - why? because establishing a protien regimen seems to be the trickiest of all the elements.
there are so many different types of protien, mild, medium and strong. how do you know when to use which and how do you know which is which? i was thinking that it might be nice to have a number system
1 = really light protien - not much more than a moisture treatment
10= very strong treatment - shouldnt be done too often - maybe like aphogee 2 step? so where would certain protien treatments fall - and when do you use what?
i have only ever really used aphogee 2 minute and 2 step but i would like to explore more of what is out there - but ofcourse i dont want to trade needing protien for having too much so i want to tread carefully.
i am thinking:
aphogee 2 step = 10? any corrections on this? anything stronger?
aphogee 2 minute = 4?
if you guys add to this list i will post what the ratings are for each product in this original post so that others can refer to this thread to know the strength of what they are using.
oh and i think it could be helpful to link other informative protien threads to this one as well to ease the search of those who look in the future.

Informative protien threads

Supergirl http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...2906&highlight=

Protein is my friend
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...protein+friend

Last edited:
Excellent idea! I think the "protein is my friend" link should be included in here also. And i think also Supergirl had a thread about protein a while back that was very useful, i'll try to find those links. Waaay overdue and brilliant idea!

thanks for the pm wheezy! i just added the threads to the first post. hopefully we can put together a list of protien conditioners with their strength ratings as well. maybe some of the ladies who are knowledgable about the differnet conditioners can chime in?

Great thread because I am in the Protein is My Friend Challenge because I know I need to incorporate protein into my regimen but still struggling a bit. I couldn't tell you the difference between a hard, medium, or light protein.

Great idea. I'm still trying to figure out this protein thing too. I'm scared of using too much, but I think I've really messed my hair up by not using enough!

I've used aphogee 2 minute and nexxus emergencee. Aphogee 2 minute seemed to be stronger (or more effective), BUT my results may not be valid because afterwards I used Suave Professionals sleek conditioner which has hydrolyzed wheat protein & silk amino acids (that's a protein, right?). Having said that, those ingredients are pretty low in the list.

Great idea. I'm still trying to figure out this protein thing too. I'm scared of using too much, but I think I've really messed my hair up by not using enough!

I've used aphogee 2 minute and nexxus emergencee. Aphogee 2 minute seemed to be stronger (or more effective), BUT my results may not be valid because afterwards I used Suave Professionals sleek conditioner which has hydrolyzed wheat protein & silk amino acids (that's a protein, right?). Having said that, those ingredients are pretty low in the list.

I'm right there with you, Lady SpeedStick. I definitely think I've messed my hair up (in terms of breakage) by not using enough. I bought the Aphogee 2 minute yesterday & I'll use it after I buy the hair mask & deep conditioner from Karen's Body Beautiful. To answer your question, silk amino acids are proteins. I've been using a conditioner that has hydrolyzed wheat protein and hydrolized wheat starch, and that is not enough protein for me. My hair feels soft--sometimes bordering on mushy--after using the conditioner.

I think a protein support thread is a great idea b/c it's difficult (for me anyway) to find that "just right" protein, although I'm beginning to believe that it isn't just about finding that "just right" protein. I think it's also about how you incorporate it into your regimen.

Dudleys DRC is a touch stronger than aphogee but can be used more frequently because of the application.

Nexxus emergencee is a protein treatment but it also has polymetric properties. One a strength scale, I would say it is a 6 but the polymetric properties give it some characterisitics in terms of results of a 7-8.

When you are trying to decide what products to use and how to use them, really read the product descriptions, they can help guide you into what to use when. Aphogee 2 minute has moisturizing properties as do alot of other quick reconstructor type products. When used as directed, you may not always need to follow with a moisture treatment.

Okay...question. Im using the GVP version of Joico Kpak recon. Its not necessarily an added benefit to use this product with heat with this right? I know the bottle doesnt say so but I always feel like Im not getting the job done when I dont sit under my dryer, nor when I leave it one for 5 minutes. :nono: But Im following the instructions anyway

Okay...question. Im using the GVP version of Joico Kpak recon. Its not necessarily an added benefit to use this product with heat with this right? I know the bottle doesnt say so but I always feel like Im not getting the job done when I dont sit under my dryer, nor when I leave it one for 5 minutes. :nono: But Im following the instructions anyway

You're fine. I think we are all used to thinking that protein treatments are supposed to leave our hair hard but that is not the case. Products like the kpak are designed to still keep moisture in the hair. Think about it like this, why would you add heat or leave it on forever just to have to put on a moisturizing conditioner for another 10-15 minutes?

You're fine. I think we are all used to thinking that protein treatments are supposed to leave our hair hard but that is not the case. Products like the kpak are designed to still keep moisture in the hair. Think about it like this, why would you add heat or leave it on forever just to have to put on a moisturizing conditioner for another 10-15 minutes?
Thanks! ur right. I always think that if I dont use heat its not going to penertate my hair or something:perplexed even if the container instructions on the container dont use heat or say heat isnt necessary.

Back