Proteins- Natural vs. Commerical

jetbeauty09

I just read an old thread about naturals using proteins and the reason why its not needed as much (since we have less chemicals). This thread is for relaxed & naturals though. Which is more potent, using straight natural ingredients from your kitchen or commercial brand proteins?

I am natural with semi permanent black color and I use protein once, sometimes twice a week (always using a moisturizing DC afterward). This week I did a yogurt & molasses deep condition and my hair is SO SOFT:blush:. I use Aphoghee too and don't see a problem.

Are there any ladies (natural or relaxed) that use protein as often and see no problem? Would the fact that I have thick, CNAPP texture have anything to do with it?

Being a BIG Lover:blush3: of all things Protein: At about week 10-11 of a 16 week Stretch, I started implementing weekly Protein Treatments into my Weekly Regimen (in preparation for relaxing).

I would either Co-Wash with a Protein Conditioner and use various light/medium Reconstructors. And my Hair Thrived Tremendously.:yep:

Now, at almost 1 week post relaxer, I'd like to continue experimenting with incorporating Protein into my weekly Wash regimen at that Same Level and "gauge" my long-term results in this next "Stretch".:look:

Naturally, I Always Follow Up with a Super Moisturizing DC Treatment, usually with Heat and try to use Moisturizing Leave-In Treatments as well.:grin:

Oh Yeah...I use Commerical Products.

I think that maybe it's a question of texture vs. curl pattern...

I have coarse strands and now that I'm natural, my hair is NOT appreciating the protein. :nono: My hair used to love it when I was texlaxed!

From now on I will just put a little silk amino acids in my DC every few weeks and that's it. I don't really need protein.

ETA:

Also, I think commercial proteins are more potent. I would recommend commercial over natural products for damaged hair/fine chemically treated hair. On already healthy hair, It doesn't matter as much.

Last edited:
Being a BIG Lover:blush3: of all things Protein: At about week 10-11 of a 16 week Stretch, I started implementing weekly Protein Treatments into my Weekly Regimen (in preparation for relaxing).

I would either Co-Wash with a Protein Conditioner and use various light/medium Reconstructors. And my Hair Thrived Tremendously.:yep:

Now, at almost 1 week post relaxer, I'd like to continue experimenting with incorporating Protein into my weekly Wash regimen at that Same Level and "gauge" my long-term results in this next "Stretch".:look:

Naturally, I Always Follow Up with a Super Moisturizing DC Treatment, usually with Heat and try to use Moisturizing Leave-In Treatments as well.:grin:

Oh Yeah...I use Commerical Products.

My hair seems to be in love with it too! Which products work for you? I have a huge bottle of Mane & Tail conditioner that I tried cowashing with it and my hair seemed to laugh at that light stuff. From what I can tell, yogurt is hardcore conditioner (someone correct me if not) so I'm guessing the harder the better...in moderation of course!:grin:

I use to be a Mix-Master of Avacado, Yogurt, Egg, Mayo etc...but got "bored":perplexed

I prefer to use commercial ones, strictly for the sake of "Convenience":look:.

I've been using Millcreek Keratin Conditioner to Co-Wash with. Jason Lavender Strengthing Conditioner (I also have Mane 'N Tail). I have AO GBP, which is good.

Others in My Stash; Mega-Tek, Henna (which mimics "protein"), Joico KPak, Giovanni Nutra-Fix, Tigi Dumb Blonde, Sebastian Penetraitt, Millennia Mud (Volanic Ash Reconstructor) SheScentIt Fortifying Mask, AG Fast Food Reconstructor, Nexxus Keraphix, Nexxus Emergencee, Redken Rescue Force, Redken Deep Fuel, Frederick Fekkai Repairative RX Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment.

These are some of the ones I Currently Alternate with.:grin: If I go look, I'm sure I have others out there.

I think that maybe it's a question of texture vs. curl pattern...

I have coarse strands and now that I'm natural, my hair is NOT appreciating the protein. :nono: My hair used to love it when I was texlaxed!

From now on I will just put a little silk amino acids in my DC every few weeks and that's it. I don't really need protein.

ETA:

Also, I think commercial proteins are more potent. I would recommend commercial over natural products for damaged hair/fine chemically treated hair. On already healthy hair, It doesn't matter as much.

Well then spank me and call me silly :)drunk::spinning::drunk::spinning:)! I learned something new. I keep jumping the gun thinking I'm already 100% natural just b/c my hair blends so well. I do have relaxed ends so I guess I shouldn't get too happy with the protein. Whew, I would have had a major setback from the breakage once I BC'd. Thanks sooooo much for the heads up !:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I use to be a Mix-Master of Avacado, Yogurt, Egg, Mayo etc...but got "bored":perplexed

I prefer to use commercial ones, strictly for the sake of "Convenience":look:.

I've been using Millcreek Keratin Conditioner to Co-Wash with. Jason Lavender Strengthing Conditioner (I also have Mane 'N Tail). I have AO GBP, which is good.

Others in My Stash; Mega-Tek, Henna (which mimics "protein"), Joico KPak, Giovanni Nutra-Fix, Tigi Dumb Blonde, Sebastian Penetraitt, Millennia Mud (Volanic Ash Reconstructor) SheScentIt Fortifying Mask, AG Fast Food Reconstructor, Nexxus Keraphix, Nexxus Emergencee, Redken Rescue Force, Redken Deep Fuel, Frederick Fekkai Repairative RX Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment.

These are some of the ones I Currently Alternate with.:grin: If I go look, I'm sure I have others out there.

I'm just getting my mixing started compared to you! I'm going to try mayo @ the end of the week to see how my hair enjoys that protein. I've been wanting to try Henna but still need to research for the best technique. You weren't lying, your protein game is on pernt!:lick:

Girl, I HEART Protein.:blush: You definitely have to keep Your Moisture Up and Find your Perfect Balance for Your Hair. You have to balance it all out.

Because you don't want it too dry (protein) or too mushy (moisture). So, you have to Experiment and determine what's right for: Your Hair.

Also, you know you can buy a bottle of Neutral Protein Filler like at Sally or another BSS and Add it to Both Your Mixes and Your Commerical Conditioners.:yep:

There was a Thread on Neutral Protein Filler a while back. Good additive as well.:yep:

Well then spank me and call me silly :)drunk::spinning::drunk::spinning:)! I learned something new. I keep jumping the gun thinking I'm already 100% natural just b/c my hair blends so well. I do have relaxed ends so I guess I shouldn't get too happy with the protein. Whew, I would have had a major setback from the breakage once I BC'd. Thanks sooooo much for the heads up !:rolleyes:

:lol:

Good luck with your transition.

Eggs all the way! I also liked the Africa's Best Mayonnaise deep conditioner, but I like natural products better.

I like natural proteins better because they give me strength and moisture unlike the commercial products. But I have coarse hair so I already have plenty of protein in my hair structure so I find that henna is all I really need now.

Back