Protein vs. Moisture in Ur Cowash/DC Regime

Rezgirl

How do you determine what to use? Are you looking at what your hair needs at the moment or are you partial to moisturizing conditioners for cowashes and protein for d/c's? Or vice versa - protein for co wash and moisture for d/c? Does this make sense? I was reading sistaslick's articles and she says most cheapies like suave and v05 are protein and i see these are what many people are using for cowashing. And when you do a protein treatment are you using heavy duty protein like aphogee or something like cpr or ors? I was using the latter 2 as d/c but now it seems like I should only be using them 1x per month because their moderate protein. :dizzy: My head's spinning!

I usually use moisturizing conditioners for cowashing but I will also use a protein conditioner. Things like ORS replenishing pack are light protein, and for me, they moisturize too.

In general, when I feel my hair getting too mushy and soft, I will use some protein. Sometimes, when I plan on cowashing, if I feel my hair being too mushy as I get it wet, I will use something like Joico Kpak conditioner which is a quick protein conditioner. You only leave it on for a minute. I then rinse that out and then go on with what I had planned. Or, I use a conditioner that has a touch of both like Herbal Essences Dangerously Straight. When I notice that my hair is too soft continuously, I will shampoo and do the whole shebang with protein and moisture.

you asked "Are you looking at what your hair needs at the moment or are you partial to moisturizing conditioners for cowashes and protein for d/c's?"

i look at what my hair needs.

i am protein-sensitive, so my default conditioners and DCs are moisturizing.
however, if i am noticing limp, mushy hair, i will use a light protein shampoo and then follow up with a moisturizing DC or co-wash with a cheapie like VO5. i no longer regularly co-wash with "The Cheapies" because they tend to contain too much protein for me.

i have yet to need a heavy protein. i have been stretching since April, and won't do heavy protein until it's time for my next touch-up.

I look at what my hair needs. :yep::yep: I only co-wash once per week and thats with a moisturizing conditioner ( I mixed Herbal Essence with Infusium Moisturology). I deep condition twice per week and thats always always always with my ORS mixed with porosity control. The only time I use protein is during my pre-poo. I alternate between Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and Mane & Tail. I usually leave this on for about 30 minutes.

I like this better than doing the treatment after shampooing because my hair responds much better to proteins this way. And I've also noticed that I havent needed a "hard-core protein treatment" since I've been doing this. I think of it as a pre-emptive strike. I'm giving my hair slight jolts of protein to maintain an even playing field instead of heavy jolts of protein every 6 weeks and risking going over-board or not giving it enough. :yep:

Sure hope that makes sense!!!! :lachen:

I only use moisturizing conditioners for co-washes and deep conditioners. The most I will do with protein is Joico K-pak for 5 minutes once/month

Back