!!!Protein Reversion 2!!!

Porsche19

Like 2 days ago I posted asking if using a reconstructor with keratin would make my freshly relaxed/texturized hair revert. I could have just gone to that thread instead of making a new one, but what can I say? I’m lazy. Then I read Supergirl’s thread on it (thanks for posting it Honi! ;) ).

Some people said no, but the majority said to wait because it would cause reversion.

Logic told me that it wouldn’t cause reversion, but I was wary anyway. I didn’t exactly know what to believe although I was leaning toward nothing’s gonna happen.

So... I tested it out. What can I say? I’m a daredevil. :thumbsup:

But don’t worry folks, I didn’t get any reversion!

Still I have some questions:

This is how I believe that a relaxer works.

The relaxer has a high pH, which opens up the hair cuticles and enables it to get into the hair’s cortex. When the relaxer is in the cortex, it breaks down protein bonds... the same bonds that give hair curl/kink. Also many times, the hair is handled in such a way that the hair is kept taut or smoothed straight to help the hair “set” straighter. After the protein bonds are broken down and the hair achieves the level of straightness desired, it is rinsed out. In some relaxer systems while the cuticles are still open, a conditioner is applied. After it’s rinsed out, a neutralizing shampoo is applied. The neutralizing shampoo thoroughly removes traces of relaxer and returns the hair’s pH to normal, which means that the hair’s cuticles are once again closed. After that, the hair has been permanently relaxed. Bonds have been broken down inside of the cortex and the new texture is much different than the person’s natural texture. Not only is the outward appearance different, but on a molecular level, the hair has been reconfigured. - That’s right, isn’t it?

How would using hydrolyzed keratin return the hair back to its normal state? Even if the keratin enters the cortex it won’t just connect to the keratin that’s already there and make curls. To do that it really would have to have a mind of its own and the incredible ability to both attach to existing keratin inside your hair, then rearrange it back to it’s original formation. For it to add any degree of curl to your hair, it would be amazing. The only thing that it can do is strengthen any curls that you do have... or so I think.

Also reconstructors aren’t permanent treatments. They rinse away over time just like other temporary conditioners. How would using a reconstructor permanently alter anyone’s hair?

I don’t understand is why some treat their hair as if it has not been neutralized. If your hair is properly neutralized, then it absorbs as much conditioner as it always does... not anything extra. The cuticles are closed, the hair is "back to normal". Yes, relaxed hair tends to be more porous than natural hair, but it’s not THAT porous.

If relaxed hair is so porous until 2 weeks after... what is it that stops it? Why wouldn’t protein cause reversion 4 weeks or 8 weeks or even years after?

Well, that’s the stuff that I don’t understand. I didn’t make this thread to argue or anything, I’d just like to have in depth knowledge of this subject.

Who knows, I can be both wrong and lucky that I didn’t get reversion!

:Clown:

Not to be stupid, but I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't trying to flip anyone off with this smilie :thumbsup:

Those fingers are supposed to be thumbs.

Funnly looking smiley if you look at it closely!

Back