Protein Residue removal....HELP!!!!

Chevelure618

Even after I wash my hair with about 6 or 7 lathers I cannot get my hair to feel clean. I am a firm believer in clarifying periodically ever since I found out I get protein overload. But now, even after I shampoo with a clarifying shampoo (Suave daily clarifier) when I run my hand down the length of my hair I feel something dry on my hand afterward.

It is the same feeling after applying Megatek or Ovation on the hair....you can actually feel that protein coating and it tends to stick along the last 3 or 4 inches of the hair.

I was thinking maybe its cones that need to be removed. I can't get it off so I stopped trying after about 6 lathers. When I clarify I usually can get my hair squeaky after about 3 lathers. Then I was thinking that maybe my hair was grabbing the protein because it needs it. I'm stumped. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Maybe you need to use a Chelating Shampoo. It actually takes out all of the mineral deposits out of hair as well. It is much stronger then a clarifying shampoo. I swim during the week so I need it! I use Joico's btw but many other brands have chelating shampoos.

Remember to follow up with a strong moisturizer!

I use Biolage Clarifying Treatment. You can find it at Utla. It is not a shampoo--it's an actual treatment that you leave on for 3-5 minutes and rinse. It works great for me and leaves my hair very soft.

If the chelateing shampoo doesn't work, you might want to try a clarifying shampoo that 's sulfate free, and ph balanced. I had this same problem when my hair felt grease coated and stringy after shampooing. I had been using a few cone heavy products for a while, and I think I had cone overload:blush: coating my cuticles, and blocking moisture from getting in. Went to Whole foods looking for a clarifying moisturizing shampoo without sulfates, and ended up trying Giovanni 50/50 balanced shampoo and conditioner. Switching to this shampoo has worked wonders on my hair over the past few months! My hair got its softness back!! I'm also working on getting my slip back by using Roux porosity control extreme moisture pak before the final rinse on shampoo day. (thanks to the poster of last month's porosity control thread for this wonderful tip!!!). Try to figure out what your hair needs, then do your reaearch by trying products with beneficial (good for the hair long term) ingredients in them to see if that helps.

Back