Protein problems

cookie1

Hi Girls,
:nono:I realized about 2 months ago that my hair was starving for protein. I did the Aphoghee 2 step protein trmt and while my hair is breaking less it's still stretching when wet. When I wash I'm still loosing lots of strands and when I blow dry/ air dry. I'm on my second 2 step trmt and think it's time to ask for advice. I also use the AphoGhee reconstrutor once a week and just started using the leave-in also. I use some Profectiv strengtheners (oil, lotion) too and while I see a difference it's going so slow. I was told to try Redken protein cond. but, I don't care for their products and thought you guys could suggest some things.:wallbash:

I've never tried Aphogee 2 step, but I just used Dudley's DRC 28 and I am very impressed. I used to love nexxus emergencee, but this stuff is way better...I had no breakage...It is expensive though; my BSS sells it for $50...so worth it...

hth

I think you are using too much protein and that could be causing the breakage, as well.

I notice I get more breakage when my hair is not as elastic as it should be. Protein takes that elasticity away when I overload it.

You might want to focus on moisture for now to give you hair a away to stretch more instead of break.

HTH!

I think you are using too much protein and that could be causing the breakage, as well.

I notice I get more breakage when my hair is not as elastic as it should be. Protein takes that elasticity away when I overload it.

You might want to focus on moisture for now to give you hair a away to stretch more instead of break.

HTH!

If it's gummy and elastic when wet she needs more protein. I think you should use the aphogee two minute weekly. It's balanced enough to not throw most hair types out of wack when used frequently. when you rinse you should be able to tell if your hair feels too hard. if it does, i'd do a moisturizing conditioner right after for a solid 5 minutes. that should take the edge off of the 2 minute since it's not a heavy protein.

Good luck girl. I'm upping my protein too. I pray it goes well.

I doubt it's too much protein bc I used the 2 step six weeks apart and after the first 3 wks I started using the reconstructor about every week. I noticed a difference bc it's not breaking as much but, it's still breaking. I just started using the profectiv for breakage about a week ago.

HTH!

If it's gummy and elastic when wet she needs more protein. I think you should use the aphogee two minute weekly. It's balanced enough to not throw most hair types out of wack when used frequently. when you rinse you should be able to tell if your hair feels too hard. if it does, i'd do a moisturizing conditioner right after for a solid 5 minutes. that should take the edge off of the 2 minute since it's not a heavy protein.

Good luck girl. I'm upping my protein too. I pray it goes well.

When I rinse the hair doesn't feel mushy or hard its' actually fine. It's when I go to blow dry or style and look at the hairs in the comb. I moisturize at least once daily. I'm going to give joico k pak a try and see what happens.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS...

I used a salon based product called Philip Pelusi Xtreme treatment. It is a spray leave-in protein product. My hair thrives when I use this along with my aphogee reggy of the 2-step every 6 weeks, and the green-tea reconstuctor and essential oil at least every other day. I balance that by using Aussie moist shampoo and Aussie deeeep 3 minute miracle every 3 days. also wave nouveau moisturizer. I sometimes even put a little of the balancing conditioner from aphogee (the second step in the 2-step) on my ends when I am bunning.

HTH!

I don't know the texture/thickness of your hair, but I could never use a strong protein.

My hair is fine, and very nappy naturally, with about 4 inches of color treated ends (boo). I texlax it with Mizani BB F/C (lye). (I mention the texture because going from supertight nappy to texlaxed on fine hair is still a lot of chemical)

The best my hair ever feels is when I cowash every three days, with a mix of protein and moisture cons. I take some garnier length and strength and some costco brand moisture con, mix it 50-50, apply it like a relaxer to dry hair (on a Sunday) and put on a plastic cap for an hour or so.

When I rinse out, my hair is not tangled, because I didn't "lather" it.

having rinsed it with the shower head in the direction i style it, I let it air dry, tied tight with a scarf.

(I check the shed hairs that fall from the root after they're dry, by pulling on them near the root and near the end to see how well they are conditioned. If they are not springy enough or not strong enough, I can adjust conditioner and do it again, without overmanipulating any hair that's still on my head.)

Then I use my spray bottle mix and mist the dried sections of hair and roller set it.

I hate manipulating my hair wet.

My techniques are not for everyone, but they work for me. And this stops me from seeing little broken pieces.

HTH

Last edited:
My suggestion is to try Mane N Tail Original Conditioner. It's inexpensive and it has both protein and moisture in it. It can also be used as a leave-in. Good luck!

When I rinse the hair doesn't feel mushy or hard its' actually fine. It's when I go to blow dry or style and look at the hairs in the comb. I moisturize at least once daily. I'm going to give joico k pak a try and see what happens.

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS...

So you are saying the hairs in the comb are broken when you style and/or blowdry?

Also, from your first post, do you NOT like that your hair stretches when wet? If it does, that is a GOOD thing.

If there are many hairs in your comb when you style/blowdry, could it be manipulation breakage?

I mean that 2 step Aphogee treatment will take anyone needing protein over to the other side of the fence straight-up and there would be no looking back. That stuff is hardcore.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I don't see how more protein would really be the way to keep going. Especially since you have been also using the reconstructor weekly. It seems that protein, protein, protein has NOT been working so far, right?

Maybe it is something else.

I think k-pak Intense Hydrator is a nice balance of good keratin protein and moisture. What I like about k-pak conditioners it that your hair really does seem to absorb some good stuff and it keeps your hair good condition.

Good luck in finding a solution.

Back