Protein Intakers...

Hmmm... that's a good question. I'll have to do some calculating
brainy.gif

Wow, you ladies have a high protein intake. I don't think I get half the amount of protein on a daily basis.

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Wow, you ladies have a high protein intake. I don't think I get half the amount of protein on a daily basis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I eat a tin of salmon everyday which is about
70grams then I drink ensure with my vits. I also munch on
a lot of nuts through out the day. Not to mention eating dinner and God only knows how much protein i consume then
grin.gif
So i probably get over 120 grams. Just thinking about the amount i get from dinner makes me feel like a hog
ohwell.gif
I keep forgetting that I'm supposed to
be on a diet
crazy.gif

You're not concerned about the mercury that's in the salmon? I like salmon too but I don't eat it very often.

is'nt the recommended dailty allowance for protein 40g. and you know that if you don't burn it off it converts in to fat and is stored by the body. 170g is way to much. are you on the atkins diet?

I've just started the Protein Power plan. According to my weight I have to consume 34g at each serving, so that'll put me at 102 grams a day.

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:
is'nt the recommended dailty allowance for protein 40g. and you know that if you don't burn it off it converts in to fat and is stored by the body. 170g is way to much. are you on the atkins diet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand and you are absolutely right but I'm a bodybuilder so the minimum for women who lift to gain size is .75 grams of protein per lb. of body weight. I currently weigh 168 lbs but I do cardio 4 days a week and weight train for 5 days. But, for the average woman who's not as athletic, yes it would convert to fat if they consume more calories in a day than they burn off. Also, in concern for weight gain, I utilize about 30 - 50 grams of carbs per day.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
alliyah4eva203 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
They say Americans eat way too much protein on a daily basis which is a cause of a lot of health problems.

I weigh 124lb and I work out 3-4x a week (cardio and weights). My min protein is 0.6 x 124lb and my max is 0.9 x 124lbs.
So between 74g and 111g of protein. I get about give or take 65g from my daily diet alone. I take a protein shake and I get more from that.

This is what I've learned about protein intake:

http://waltonfeed.com/omega/protein.html

Introduction: It's easy to get all the protein we need without eating meat. While it is not easy or inexpensive to store meat, plant protein can be stored very economically for a long time.

Points to remember about protein:

1. The RDA of protein for a 79kg (174 lb.) adult male is about 63 Grams. Women (calculated for a 63kg or 138 lb. woman) need about 50 grams. (0.8 Grams protein per Kilogram of body weight.) Pregnant and nursing women require about 30% more. Children need as much as adults because they are growing. A rapidly growing child can require 2 to 3 times more protein than an adult by weight.

2. A safety factor was built into the RDA for protein and actually represents a little over twice as much as our bodies actually need.

3. Our body gets all but 1/6 of the protein it needs from recycling old body tissue. This amounts to 100-300 grams. The 1/6 we don't recycle must come from essential amino acids we eat.

4. Hard work does not require more protein!

5. Protein is required for growing, body repair, and maintenance. A person with serious physical injuries or illness requires much more protein.

6. If we do not get enough protein, our bodies will steal it from our muscles. This is also true when we are ill. We need more protein, but often can't eat it.

7. North Americans generally eat 3 to 5 times more protein than they need. The protein not needed is broken down further and most of it is used to make energy. However there is some left over product from this process which is not good for our bodies.

8. We can only absorb about 25 grams of protein at one time. The rest is broken down and burned or stored as fat.

9. Plant protein is absorbed at about 70-90%, animal protein at 85-100%. There is concern among some about plant protein not being absorbed as readily as animal protein. This is not a problem as we in North America presently eat 2 to 3 times the RDA for protein anyway.

10. North Americans have been brain washed into believing they must get their protein from meat. Third world nations all over the globe, who get enough calories in their diets, eat little or no meat yet many of them are in excellent health from eating only plant protein.

11. Men require about 2900 calories and women require about 2200 calories per day. Hard work requires more.

12. Our bodies digest the proteins we eat, separating them into amino acids which are absorbed into our blood stream.

13. Our bodies use 22 amino acids to make 50,000 different proteins we must have to be healthy.

14. Our bodies can make all but 8 of these amino acids. The 8 amino acids it can't make are called essential amino acids, as we must get them from the foods that we eat.

Good info Isis on the protein. Were I not a competing athlete I would probably follow those guidelines more closely. In reference to my dietary regimen, my physician has had no complaints. I started working out 5 years ago because my dad developed Type II Diabetes as a result of his sugar/carbohydrate loaded diet. Thus my physician told me I was at risk. Subsequently, I've changed my diet and exercise habits. I been able to maintain extremely good cholesterol levels and no health problems aside from handling everyday stress.

The majority of studies are based on select populations and not the general public at large. However, because the majority of people don't have a clue but would rather be told what they should and should not do, they make such guidelines.

My math may be wrong but that looks like if you have a 2200 calorie requirement, and you have 200 calories coming from protein, the other 2000 come from fat and carbohydrates (which when going up and down all day will wreak havoc on your insulin levels and fat burning abilities).

In rereading your post, item number 6 is why some people consume more protein than the RDA suggests, because if you're trying to build muscle and you don't eat enough protein, your body will catabolize what you do have and you wouldn't make any gains (in muscle size). I don't suggest my routine for anyone other than myself. It's worked for me, everyone's metabolism is different and so is their ability to utilize the nutrition that they consume. Nutrition isn't a one size fits all sweater unfortunately.
frown.gif

So how can I figure out how much protein I should take? What is the ratio between weight and protein?

Natori24 it really depends on your health goals. Your calories per day would depend on your daily physical expenditures, if you're sedentary then you may not need as many as someone who is active several or even a few days a week (i.e. aerobics, resistance training, cross training; walking, etc.). And it depends on your metabolism but to keep it simple, here are a few different programs you can follow:

Pyramid: Carbohydrates: 55%; Protein: 20%; Fat: 25%
Zone Diet: Carbohydrates: 40%; Protein: 30%; Fat: 30%
Low Carbs: Carbohydrates: 50%; Protein: 25%; Fat: 25%

So, if you weigh 135 lbs and your fairly active (activity factor of 17), you might start with consuming 2,295 (135 x 17) calories. On the Zone diet for example then; 918 calories would be from carbs, 688.5 from protein and 688.5 from fat. Further broken down, each gram of protein yeilds 4 calories so the 688.5 protein calories would mean ingesting 172 grams of protein! That's a bit high but that's an example of how you would go about figuring that out.

Without being scientific, I would use that number (50 grams) in Isis' post a base number to start with and arrange your other nutrients accordingly. Keep in mind that the grams add up quickly so don't think you have to eat a 'gang o-meat' to arrive at your number. 1 cup of lowfat milk yields 8 grams of protein all by itself!

Okay, thanks LaNecia. It took awhile to get through all the "scientific formulas" though.

Lol-it was really not a problem just that I was trying to figure out the percentages.

Back