Protein Intake

• Thread starter Thread starter cieramichele
  • Start date Start date
C

cieramichele

As we know, protein is good for our body and growing hair. In what ways do you increase your protein intake?

I wasnt intentionally trying to do this today but i ate 2 bowls of protein special K cereal, sardines, black beans, and a chicken thigh.

Whoa .. about 90 grams of protein? :perplexed

Yeah I want to know too. I wonder how much protien you need for healthy hair .....................bump:spinning:

It's not necessary to go as high as 90 g. Depending on your weight, anywhere between 25-50 grams is sufficient. Too much protein can take away from other nutrients in your body.

For protein intake, I go with:

- Soy milk (instead of regular milk)
- Nuts (almonds)
- Peanut butter (make sandwiches sometimes)
- Chicken
- Fish (1 tilapia filet = 22 grams)

I try to eat a lot of beans (black beans, kidney beans). Chicken, tuna, fish, eggs (once in a while) and sometimes protein shakes (20-25 grams).

90 grams really isn't that much. :look: IMO and based on what I have learned, you should aim for about .5-1 gram per every pound that you weigh.

90 grams really isn't that much. :look: IMO and based on what I have learned, you should aim for about .5-1 gram per every pound that you weigh.

Dito.

I eat fish/chicken/soy every single day and beans/pulses/nuts at least 3 times per week. I estimate my daily protein intake at about 80-90 grams (which isn't enough IMO) The best way to increase your protein is step by step introduction of high protein foods into your daily diet.
I have soy protein in vanilla flavour which I haven't touched for months (I gotta chedck the expiry date :look:..)

This protein diet is something I probably wil stick with forever as these foods are good for the body, not just the hair.

^^ 0.5 -1 gram is a lot; I think that number is geared towards bodybuilders/athletes. It is recommended that the average person aim for 0.36 gram per pound for optimum protein intake.

Here's an article:
http://www.fwhc.org/health/high-protein-diet.htm

50-60 grams of protein for who? A 120lb woman? ":lol: I am sorry but we will have to agree to disagree on this. :yep:
I also can't find that article crediable since the person who wrote it is someone that promotes soy products which have tons of issues on their own, all of which I won't go into here.

We can agree to disagree.

I just want the OP to be aware of the downsides to high protein diets.

Doing the math, someone who is 140 lbs is suggested to intake 50.4 grams. One doesn't have to be 120 lbs.

The article is a good "start" for knowing about the effects of high protein diets, but it's not the end-all-be-all. The RDA (the recommended daily allowance) suggests 0.4 grams/pound, which I feel one should consider. It is not necessary to consume more protein unless you're an athlete or your diet strictly calls for it.

We can agree to disagree.

I just want the OP to be aware of the downsides to high protein diets.

Doing the math, someone who is 140 lbs is suggested to intake 50.4 grams. One doesn't have to be 120 lbs.

The article is a good "start" for knowing about the effects of high protein diets, but it's not the end-all-be-all. The RDA (the recommended daily allowance) suggests 0.4 grams/pound, which I feel one should consider. It is not necessary to consume more protein unless you're an athlete or your diet strictly calls for it.

That article is full of holes and miscalculations so :yawn: Yep, will will agree to disagree. OP- make an informed decision.

At one time i was making a point of it to make myself eat at least 90g. of protein a day. Usually through protein shakes. I used Labrada Lean body (meal replacements) I would drink the breakfast line then at lunch one of the regular drinks. After a workout I'd drink the Labrada leanbody hers (it has less calories and protein than the regular

Last edited:
Back