Protein free?

ShayyP

Hey ladies, I've been experiencing quite a bit of breakage which I've kinda narrowed down to my hair not liking protein so much. Womp womp!

What are some good protein free or low protein hair products? Mainly looking for DCers, Leave ins (sprays, butters or creams, but preferably creams and butters!) and co washing conditioners.

Also can you include a little info about the products you suggest? (E.g. have you used it, did you like it and how to incorporate it in a regimen)

Thanks a bunch! :)

Last edited:
What kind of products and what type of protein have you been using and how often?

Hairitage Hydration has a ton of stuff that is protein free.
Soft Coconut Marshmallows, Espressoself, Liquid Gold Cake Batter, Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa are all excellent leave ins and protein free. She also has butters which don't have protein. However if your hair doesn't like protein, you may want to stay away from coconut oil based butters.

Hairveda's Whipped Creme Ends Hydration is another really good protein free leave in. Hairveda's DC Sitrinillah is excellent. Leaves hair very supple and soft. Her Green Tea Butter is excellent, leaves ends really smooth.

Silk Dreams Hair Care has excellent protein free DCers....Shea What! Deux, Razzberry Coconut Affair, and Chocolate Bliss (have yet to try the last one).

Naturelle Grow (Etsy) has the most slip providing DC I have ever used. Slippery Elm and Herbal Blends.

These are the main brands that I use.

On the ground, you can probably look into using Tressemme Naturals as a leave in. A lot of people seem to like it that way, but I've personally never used it. I'm sure others will give you more suggestions.

ShayyP, I know we've talked about this in the relaxed thread but just a piece of warning as you revise your regi...revise a little at a time. Don't make the mistake I did back when. I did a major overhaul grabbing this product and that product as recommended without considering and/or understanding if the recommendations were right for my hair. The end result remained the same -- struggling with my hair. Turning point for me was figuring out if I have high/low porosity and what proteins my hair do/don't like and in what frequency to use them.

What kind of products and what type of protein have you been using and how often?

Hairitage Hydration has a ton of stuff that is protein free.
Soft Coconut Marshmallows, Espressoself, Liquid Gold Cake Batter, Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa are all excellent leave ins and protein free. She also has butters which don't have protein. However if your hair doesn't like protein, you may want to stay away from coconut oil based butters.

Hairveda's Whipped Creme Ends Hydration is another really good protein free leave in. Hairveda's DC Sitrinillah is excellent. Leaves hair very supple and soft. Her Green Tea Butter is excellent, leaves ends really smooth.

Silk Dreams Hair Care has excellent protein free DCers....Shea What! Deux, Razzberry Coconut Affair, and Chocolate Bliss (have yet to try the last one).

Naturelle Grow (Etsy) has the most slip providing DC I have ever used. Slippery Elm and Herbal Blends.

These are the main brands that I use.

On the ground, you can probably look into using Tressemme Naturals as a leave in. A lot of people seem to like it that way, but I've personally never used it. I'm sure others will give you more suggestions.

Sorry for the late response, life got in the way real quick!

But to answer your question, I've used Aphogee reconstructor, and if I'm not mistaken, a few of the other products I've used had (hydrolized) wheat protein in them. I would say I used these products about 2 times a week in my hair.
Now, with the help and advice of others, I've simplified my regimen. I use water, evoo and its incredibly rich oil moisturizing lotion for my LOC method everyday, or as needed, mostly just on the ends of my hair and I have been bagging them as well. Other than that, I cowash once a week and DC once, sometimes twice a week. I tend to get dry scalp as well (I don't really know what to put on my scalp for this, so I tend to just rub evil on), so I try to shampoo just once every two weeks.
All of the products you listed sound spectacular. My biggest problem is living in Canada lol. Its very hard to come by a lot of the amazing products I see majority of the women on LHCF talking about :(

ShayyP

Hopefully, some of your Canadian Sisters can help you out on how/who to order from with some of the Natural/Handmade Lines that also Ship to Canada.

Good Luck Ms. ShayyP getting your Regimen together.

ShayyP

Hopefully, some of your Canadian Sisters can help you out on how/who to order from with some of the Natural/Handmade Lines that also Ship to Canada.

Good Luck Ms. ShayyP getting your Regimen together.

I sure hope so! And thank you... I'm getting really tired of this constant hair breakage :(

I have been using Aphogee 2 step treatment abt every 2 months. Right after a treatments, my wet hair feels stronger, but honesty I haven't really noticed a huge difference as far as my split end are concerned. Meh. I also use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, although I'm pretty convinced after looking. At the ingredients that it Is nothing more than a moisturizing condish in disguise.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I know my hair likes Silk Dreams the best and she ships to Canada with a minimum order of $75 so you can get enough to last a few months.

If you don't have a favorite brand yet, then you may want to try Honeyfig at Yonge and Sheppard (www.honeyfig.com/en/products/shop_brand/index.html)

They're a bit pricey but you can get some of the popular natural brands there and they'll give you a sample too with a purchase - they have Black Friday sales I think.

I think Nix08 is Canadian too

I've been hearing a lot about silk dreams so I'm quite curious to give it a try. I'll probably do so in the next few weeks after I see how my hair responds to my change in regimen.
I've looked at Honey Fig...the prices make me cringe lol

I have been using Aphogee 2 step treatment abt every 2 months. Right after a treatments, my wet hair feels stronger, but honesty I haven't really noticed a huge difference as far as my split end are concerned. Meh. I also use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor, although I'm pretty convinced after looking. At the ingredients that it Is nothing more than a moisturizing condish in disguise.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I've used the 2 minute reconstructor about 3 times and I wasn't extremely WOW'd by it. I'd have to agree with you on the undercover moisturizing conditioner theory lol

As I was telling another LHCF member, my ends are my biggest problem. From my roots to about halfway down my hair shaft is lovely and smooth, then from the halfway point to the ends it gets...ugly lol. Its this weird frizzy/dry/under processed look and I have the most trouble getting my ends to hold on to moisture. That's why I baggy them almost every night. I think that's where all my breakage comes from.
Like I literally just run my hand through my hair and there's like 12 broken strands in my hand from that one pass through. Its driving me crazy!

Silk Elements Mega Moisture Treatment < probably the best moisturizing DC I've ever tried, and the slip is CRAZY good!

Lacio Lacio < it is a Dominican leave in heavily laden with silicones...it may/may not be for you, but my hair loves it!

Creme of Nature Argan Oil Strength & Shine Leave In < a liquid spray leave in that my entire head of hair loves...I use it especially on my new growth and my ends before I use Lacio Lacio

My favorite moisturizing products that contain no protein, or inconsequential amounts of protein, are:

DCs
SSI Avocado Conditioner
SSI Riche Moisture Masque (hydrolyzed silk)
Hairveda Red Tea Conditioner
Hairveda Sitrinillah
Kenra MC (wheat protein)

Leave-ins & Refreshers
SSI Pomegranate Conditioner
SSI Avocado Conditioner
SSI Scalp Spritz (spray, hydrolyzed silk)
As I Am Naturally Leave-in
Darcy’s Daily Leave-in
Darcy’s Transitioning Cream
Oyin Hair Dew

Creams & Stylers
Qhemet’s BRBC or AOHC mixed with OHHB
Soultanicals Marula-Muru Moisture Guru (on dry/straightened hair only)
Pura Body Naturals Muru Muru Moisture Milk (on dry/straightened hair only)

FWIW, I'm also protein sensitive. Every time I suffer from protein overload, the only product that is able to bring my hair back to normalcy is Kenra MC; albeit its wheat protein content. It always leaves my hair ridiculously soft, smooth and moisturized. Also, at the beginning of my HHJ, my chronic dryness and crispy ends were cured by the Qhemet combo listed above. HTH.

I always suggest Myhoneychild for great deep conditioners that are protein free. I personally love the honey hair mask, and coconut papaya hair paste. They both work great, are all natural, and smell good.

If you don't mind the smell Aubrey organics makes some good protein free deep conditioners.

For a protein free leave in I would go with Kinky curly knot today.

:wave: Yes fellow Canadian here:yep: I can't get with the shipping charges or the minimum purchases online and Honey Fig is just silly in their pricing to me:nono:

My protein free conditioner of choice is Aubrey Organics White Camelia I can get that locally at health stores.
I'm relaxed and my ng does not need much protein (and prevents the relaxer from taking if do use too much protein) so I often use AOWC on my ng and use protein conditioners on the length of my hair.

I also use various tea blends for increased moisture (marshmallow root, slippery elm, fenugreek and hibiscus).

ETA: I also use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose to cowash (but I also oil/coffee/tea rinse during my cowash).

I use Beauty without Cruelty Leave in Conditioner under rice bran oil and followed by Gleau oil blend.

Also, a good protein conditioner is Millcreek Biotin as well as their Keratin one.

And one other thing to add: I often find that if I'm experiencing increased breakage a rinse of amla tea really helps me. Doing it too often makes my hair stiff though.

Last edited:
@blackbarbie986

I boil 1 cup of water with 2 spoons of fenugreek powder.
The next day I add 1spoon cassia + 1 spoon EVOO +1 spoon red palm oil + 3 spoons DC. If I feel the mixture is too thick, I add a little water.

My hair is full SL/ APL.

Last edited:
Thank you so much ladies for all your responses, you're all amazing! I'm gonna look into all of the products you suggested and see which would best suit me in my HHJ.

One question, can any of these products be used on my scalp for the dry itchiness, or should I look into something else for that as well?

:wave: Yes fellow Canadian here:yep: I can't get with the shipping charges or the minimum purchases online and Honey Fig is just silly in their pricing to me:nono:

My protein free conditioner of choice is Aubrey Organics White Camelia I can get that locally at health stores.
I'm relaxed and my ng does not need much protein (and prevents the relaxer from taking if do use too much protein) so I often use AOWC on my ng and use protein conditioners on the length of my hair.

I also use various tea blends for increased moisture (marshmallow root, slippery elm, fenugreek and hibiscus).

ETA: I also use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose to cowash (but I also oil/coffee/tea rinse during my cowash).

I use Beauty without Cruelty Leave in Conditioner under rice bran oil and followed by Gleau oil blend.

Also, a good protein conditioner is Millcreek Biotin as well as their Keratin one.

And one other thing to add: I often find that if I'm experiencing increased breakage a rinse of amla tea really helps me. Doing it too often makes my hair stiff though.

Where can I find amla tea? And what is Gleau oil? :/

Amla is an ayurvedic/indian herb that I get at the health store (organc traditions brand) and I make a tea with the powder.

Gleau oil I get from relaxedhairhealth.blog...it is a mix of oils.

Do you use oils with ceramides, wheat germ oil was a great find when I first started using it.

Amla is an ayurvedic/indian herb that I get at the health store (organc traditions brand) and I make a tea with the powder.

Gleau oil I get from relaxedhairhealth.blog...it is a mix of oils.

Do you use oils with ceramides, wheat germ oil was a great find when I first started using it.

I haven't used any oils with ceramides, but I've been looking into grape seed and wheat germ oil. They can be used as sealants, correct?

Yes they can. Ceramides are staples in my regimen. WGO is heavier and a touch smelly but I use it as a base in my oil rinses (that I do with every wash). Rice bran oil also has ceramides and is a fantastic oil, I use it on my face at night and on my body as 'lotion'.

Also for your scalp you could also try another indian herb - Tulsi. Make a tea out of it and spritz it on and rub it on your scalp for a little while before rinsing it out.

Yes they can. Ceramides are staples in my regimen. WGO is heavier and a touch smelly but I use it as a base in my oil rinses (that I do with every wash). Rice bran oil also has ceramides and is a fantastic oil, I use it on my face at night and on my body as 'lotion'.

I did purchase WGO but I haven't incorporated it into my regimen yet. I tried it on my scalp once but the smell was very strong

Ya the smell is rich:look: I probably wouldn't put it on my scalp but for the hair it would be great. Rice bran oil is nice on the scalp.

I just realized that you just joined last month, I"m sorry if I'm overwhelming you with tea's, ceramides and ayurvedic talk:spinning:

Ya the smell is rich:look: I probably wouldn't put it on my scalp but for the hair it would be great. Rice bran oil is nice on the scalp.

I just realized that you just joined last month, I"m sorry if I'm overwhelming you with tea's, ceramides and ayurvedic talk:spinning:

Lol its ok. I did do some research before I joined the forum so I know some of the stuff you're talking about. Its more so how and when to use certain stuff I'm a little lost with

Back