Protein Conditioners, Etc: How can I tell?

Jhuidah

Hi folks! I've been spending a lot of time with the search function, and as sweet as she is...I haven't been able to find an answer to my question.

How can one tell if a conditioner is a protein conditioner if it doesn't straight out say "XYZ Protein" in the product name? What should I look for in the ingredients--a certain order? Which terms in both the name and the ingredients will help me tell if it is moisturizing, protein, or a good balance of both?

I love trying new products, but I'd hate to keep showing up and continuously asking, "Hey y'all, is THIS a protein shampoo/conditioner/treatment/leave-in?"

Thanks so much for reading--please help!

If the label says "reconstructor" or it claims to strengthen hair, it's probably a protein treatment. Most products that "stop breakage" and "repair damaged hair" have protein as well.

Last edited:
Miss Tress has good advice. You can also look at the ingredients. If a product has multiple proteins high on the ingredient list, its probably a protein conditioner. Wheat proteins are more moisturizing and silk protein strengthens without adding weight. Most moisturizing conditioners have some sort of mild protein because protein helps hair hold moisture. Harder stronger proteins usually have more keratin protein in them.

How can one tell if a conditioner is a protein conditioner if it doesn't straight out say "XYZ Protein" in the product name? What should I look for in the ingredients--a certain order? Which terms in both the name and the ingredients will help me tell if it is moisturizing, protein, or a good balance of both?

proteins are things like keratin, collagen (a heavy one), wheat germ (not oil), _____ amino acids...

i'm a label-a-holic, and i Google any terms i don't recognize.

moisturizing products will have "water" and "glycerin" listed in the first few ingredients. most conditioners have things like "stearyl alcohol", "cetyl alcohol", ____ alcohol. these are actually okay alcohols, so don't be afraid to put them in your hair! but be wary of ingredients like "mineral oil", "lanolin", "petrolatum", "aceite mineral" (spanish spelling of mineral oil), because these are NOT moisturizers.

i went off on a tangent there, but i hope that helped :)

Thanks so much for your help, ladies! I actually did run across that one thread that destiny616 mentioned, and that was uber-helpful as well.

So nice to know that there is a wealth of information to be had if one just asks. :)

Back