Protective Styling for short hair...

I would LOVE to protectively style my hair but I feel as though my hair is too short :perplexed
Two-strand twists look wack on my hair at this length.
I did the wig thang for a while but stopped, the combs were giving me a headache.
I can't do extensions, my scalp HATES it so I can only keep it in for a week...two, if I push it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the length-challenged :yep:?

You can do finger curls or comb coils.:yep:
My hair is much shorter than hers...I can't do either one of those things. :nono: Just haven't mastered the coils. But, I do put in twists. Last night I put in some flat twists and had a twist out today. I need to use a dab of gel though, it didn't have the definition I was looking for. Right about now, I only do twists, and although it's boring, that's what I go to when I don't feel like doing a wash and go.

My hair is much shorter than hers...I can't do either one of those things. :nono: Just haven't mastered the coils. But, I do put in twists. Last night I put in some flat twists and had a twist out today. I need to use a dab of gel though, it didn't have the definition I was looking for. Right about now, I only do twists, and although it's boring, that's what I go to when I don't feel like doing a wash and go.

Your twists look really good on you :grin:
When I try it on me...let's just say it ain't pretty.
Right now my hair is flat-twisted in the front and out in the back.
When I put my flattwists in, I twisted the back as well but it didn't look good to me.
Even the resulting twistout looked wrong :wallbash:

Your twists look really good on you :grin:
When I try it on me...let's just say it ain't pretty.
Right now my hair is flat-twisted in the front and out in the back.
When I put my flattwists in, I twisted the back as well but it didn't look good to me.
Even the resulting twistout looked wrong :wallbash:

Thanks! I was scared to wear those out, I put them in on a whim, but everybody loved them. The first time my hair was this short, I could not do twists fit for public viewing. They were just awful! The fact that you know how to flat twist the front into a design is a plus for you. :yep:

How come you didn't like the twists in the back? I never part my tiwsts precisely in the back of my head. I just finger part.

I can't get to my Fotki to give you the link (stupid blocked sites at work! :grin: ), but there is a girl named Erin who has a Fotki, and she was really good at styling her hair while it was short (I'm sure it has grown out by now, but short hair pics would be in her old albums).

How come you didn't like the twists in the back? I never part my tiwsts precisely in the back of my head. I just finger part.

I can't get to my Fotki to give you the link (stupid blocked sites at work! :grin: ), but there is a girl named Erin who has a Fotki, and she was really good at styling her hair while it was short (I'm sure it has grown out by now, but short hair pics would be in her old albums).

My twists in the back just looked wrong. I should have taken a pic when I did it but I was too angry.

If you remember, please pm the link to her fotki :grin:, I need some help.

I would love to know this also. My hair is long enough for a sew in. But, nothing that includes natural hair, alone. Too short! When I braid it, they some back lose again!:lachen:

My hair is about 5 inches long in the front and the rest is probably about 3 to 4 inches.

You're working with some length. I'm SURE twists will look good on you ... you can dry twist them to show more length. But aside from those, other protective styles are:

ETA: And yes, I LOOOVE Erin's album. Her short hair styles were on point!

Last edited:
You're working with some length. I'm SURE twists will look good on you ... you can dry twist them to show more length. But aside from those, other protective styles are:

this is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry helpful.. THanks a BUNch! .. i feel you girl.. ive been having the same problem while reading everything on this board.. i need length length length and my hair is soo short i duno how to do any protective styles.. plus im transitioning. its a mess!! lol.. but next week i will be for the first time everrrr.. putting false hair ... im gona get a sew in.. ive found someone that does them very well and it seems to be the number one recommendation ive received... hth!

and thanks again for those tutorials...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*td:yep:

Thank U!
Do you also have the link to Erin's album so I can check it out?
I think that I am going to dry twist my hair and see how it goes. :yep:

How about a hairzing? My hair is short. I co-wash my hair in the morning, slick it into a "baby ponytail" and throw a hairzing across it. I tuck all of my hair underneath the hairzing so that none of my hair is out in the back.

At first, I thought I would like crazy, but it actually looks pretty elegant.

It's been working for me for the past few weeks. I haven't used a curling or flat iron in a few weeks.

How about a hairzing? My hair is short. I co-wash my hair in the morning, slick it into a "baby ponytail" and throw a hairzing across it. I tuck all of my hair underneath the hairzing so that none of my hair is out in the back.

At first, I thought I would like crazy, but it actually looks pretty elegant.

It's been working for me for the past few weeks. I haven't used a curling or flat iron in a few weeks.

whats a hairzing?

I will try to take some pictures of my hair. My hair doesn't look exactly like the women in the pictures because it's much shorter.

My hair doesn't even touch the bottom of my neck! I just had to keep playing around with the thing until I found a style that worked with my hair length.

I will try to take some pictures of my hair. My hair doesn't look exactly like the women in the pictures because it's much shorter.

My hair doesn't even touch the bottom of my neck! I just had to keep playing around with the thing until I found a style that worked with my hair length.

i cant wait.... I need a change

who and where is erins album?!?

www.hairzing.com

It's a hair clip. I purchased the medium black hairzing.

Thanks, I just ordered the same. This seems like a cute solution to this short hair for several reasons:

1. Less trips to hair salon for a wash and wrap. $40
2. Hair stays neat without using heat.
3. I purchased two so that I can use for protective styling.

I proud that I have a full head of hair, but its just does not have any length. I just started relaxing again after six months of being natural. I love the smooth hair, but waiting patiently for some length. Once again, thanks for sharing.

India

Back