Protective stylers: do you have to step everything else up?

Butterfly08

When you are wearing your hair up in buns, rolls and other protective styles, do you feel like everything else has to be on point? Makeup, earrings, clothes, etc.?

I am having to work extra hard to compensate for not having my hair down. :perplexed

When you are wearing your hair up in buns, rolls and other protective styles, do you feel like everything else has to be on point? Makeup, earrings, clothes, etc.?

I am having to work extra hard to compensate for not having my hair down. :perplexed

I understand what you mean. I pull just a little of my front hair out for some cute curly tendrils so that my face doesn't look to blah. I do use the opportunity to fo a stronger eye though.

I've never been a fan of protective styles for this reason. It feels like I didn't care that day. I have been wearing a bun for the past week and I gotta say that I must do something to improve my appearance. I feel like I just rolled out bed and threw my hair up.:perplexed

Yes, I do.. I make sure my make-up and my earrings compliment my face.. I just make sure that everything is put together well even though my hair is pulled back..:yep:

Im not an avid make-up user- But i always wear some form of hair jewelry ( clips, barettes, pony holders)if its not in a twist out/ I NEVER ever leave my house without 3 coats of mascara:grin:

ETA: you are beautiful- I doubt you have to do anything to look purty.

I've never been a fan of protective styles for this reason. It feels like I didn't care that day. I have been wearing a bun for the past week and I gotta say that I must do something to improve my appearance. I feel like I just rolled out bed and threw my hair up.:perplexed

Exactly!:lol::lol:

ETA: Some people can rock a bun and look so put together (i.e. asubeauty's bun from behind is so cute). Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people. :nono: I like gymfreak's tip about pulling out a few tendrils to soften up the look. I need to figure something out. :ohwell: Especially if I will be wearing protective styles until I reach my goal.

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel everything has to be on point....eyebrows, earrings, a little makeup. Sunglasses are my fav hair accessory now. I definitely feel less sexy with my hair in a bun all the time.

Suprisingly though, I've found a certain type of man seems to be really attracted to this look. Weird.

Im not an avid make-up user- But i always wear some form of hair jewelry ( clips, barettes, pony holders)if its not in a twist out/ I NEVER ever leave my house without 3 coats of mascara:grin:

ETA: you are beautiful- I doubt you have to do anything to look purty.

:thankyou: Oh, the wonders of makeup! :lol:

I try to make sure I rock some nice earrings and keep the makeup tight; when I wear cornrows, there is no hair to pull onto my face! :nono:

I agree with nappity4b; Jamila you are so pretty and I don't think it is the makeup! :yep:

Girl!

It is so ironic that you made this post. I started wearing my hair back last week. I bought two half wigs, but I haven't worn them yet.

Since I've been wearing my hair back, my regular makeup is just NOT the same. I normally have a pair of stud earring that I wear. I tried to wear them for two days with my hair pulled back. That's a WRAP!

I had to buy larger hoop earings that complimented my face, and as far as the makeup goes....

Let's just say I was at the M.A.C. counter HARD yesterday.

Thank goodness I'm on vacation right now, but I gotta make sure that when I go back to work on Thursday that my clothes are EXTRA tight! LMAO!

Oh yes, Hoops or dangling earrings are a must. Don't even think about letting your brows go without a proper arch. BUt I must say, I have been getting compliments wearing it back. I would like to try some of the bun jewelry or "chopsticks" as well.

I think you absolutely have to.
If you're going to wear buns/pinups 24/7
then you MUST step everything else up...
unless you're going for the librarian look...
boring & blah.
Buns/pinups should be quick & easy & cheaper than
getting your hair done... no???
so it would stand to reason that you'd have more
time to tighten up your makeup game and use those
extra $$$ you saved from not going to the stylist
and cop a fly new fit.

If I'm wearing a bun... you better beleive I'm wearing
3" heels and my makeup is on point... it's a must!!!

When I'm wearing my hair up and I don't feel like dressing up, at the very least, I'll rock some cute earrings.

Girl!

It is so ironic that you made this post. I started wearing my hair back last week. I bought two half wigs, but I haven't worn them yet.

Since I've been wearing my hair back, my regular makeup is just NOT the same. I normally have a pair of stud earring that I wear. I tried to wear them for two days with my hair pulled back. That's a WRAP!

I had to buy larger hoop earings that complimented my face, and as far as the makeup goes....

Thank goodness I'm on vacation right now, but I gotta make sure that when I go back to work on Thursday that my clothes are EXTRA tight!

LMAO!
I think you ladies with EXQUISITE Bone structure need to STOP!

The most I might do is leave some of my hair out at the front if I feel like looking seductive:drunk:. My make up is usually on point anyway because I love make up. My earrings are always the same size, small or medium studs.

Definitely...I feel very homely with all my hair pulled back off my face. It doesnt help that I have a big head either lol. As someone mentioned above..I usually try to do a strong eye so at least the attention will be drawn to that and I usually do some kind of dangly earrings.

ETA I also usually add some kind of accessory like a headband or scarf as a headband, hairzing, etc.

i do leave some of the front out. i've been meaning to buy some new hoops. i always have on lipgloss. and i wwanted to experiment with eye makeup more. ill admit my brows have been looking ruff lately though:ohwell:

My job and school make it easier for me. My uniform is veeeryy rough! We have to wear 2 sweaters that snap your ends off. This makes it very easy for me to protective style at work. Im just at work, no need to be cute:lachen:
And being a full time college student in the honors program, I think a messy bun and sweatpants go great together:lachen:. So basically when I'm going on a date, or for a special occasion I will wear it down. Other than that, myself and classmates and my coworker are close so they are used to it, they don't really have a choice. But when I do wear my hair down, they are all like "Wow, where did all that hair come from?" lol

Surprisingly I get A LOT of attention with my hair up, especially with the cutesy pulled up hairstyles... But hey it's about the attitude and confidence, you ladies are all beautiful so you can rock it up or down... Just bat your eyes, that's all you need. :lachen:

Yes it's a must for me.

Sometimes I wear a little foundation, lip gloss and nice earrings, or I'll decorate my bun with hair sticks or decorative hair pins matched with a smashing outfit....oh and don't forget the heels. :yep:

Yes! Yes! Yes!

A bun can either make you look bookish and dowdy...

Or it can make you look uber sophisticated.

Even when I am not really going anywhere important (i.e. just going to do a little shopping, wander around the city, museum, etc), I make sure that my skin and lips are well moisturized, my brows are done, and that I have on some mascara. I also wear really cute earrings for a "pop."

When an updo and makeup are done right, it can really accentuate your facial features, just really make them the spotlight.

I definitely feel less than my best with just a plain bun. So I got a bunch of cute hair accessories, and I do more with my makeup and jewelry. And I've learned to do different types of buns and pin-ups so that they aren't as plain.

I'm planning on protective styling only until I hit APL, so I'm trying to jazz it up a bit.

yes indeed:yep:. I feel too plain w/o make up, specially when my hair is pulled back. I also make sure to wear a cute pair of earings too.

Yes. I wear a bun every day and lately I feel absolutely dowdy. So I make sure that my makeup is well done and that I am wearing a nice outfit and heels. I almost feel "invisible" with my hair up all the time so I am looking forward to wearing my hair down a bit this weekend after flatironing to check my progress.

Girl!

Thank goodness I'm on vacation right now, but I gotta make sure that when I go back to work on Thursday that my clothes are EXTRA tight!
LMAO!

LMAO.....:lachen:....that's too funny. I have a friend at school who almost always wears her hair in a protective styles but I don't think she would call it that she's not a LHCF member she has probably APL to BSL hair....her "buns" are off the hook. She puts those little Fergie bumbs in them, does all these intricate knots, has lots of cute little hair accessories....I admire her hair everyday and it's "just a bun". Perception is everything :yep:

I definitely feel like I have to step every thing else up. I don't wear makeup so I focus a lot on my clothes and my shoes. Sometimes I do a side bun just so I won't look so boring. I can't wait for my hair to get longer so I can wear it out.

Back