• Cornrows

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Braids (extensions or not)

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Weaves

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Wigs

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • None (summer or not I want to feel my hair!)

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hypnotic_LT

So I get my hair done in the PS I thought would be good for the summer and my stylist recommends. He goes for the cornrow (even though I asked for braids, but he insisted the cornrows would be better since I am due to give birth next month)! I've had them in for about a week in a half and already it's killing me. I feel like the bottoms of the cornrows (in my nape) are breaking my hair :perplexed and is itching. I have even felt a couple of bumps in that area. The rest of my hair is okay, but I can't seem to get my hair really moisturized in this style at all and My hair is already fraying out of the braids. What's up with that! :nono: So ladies my question to you all is what do you think I should do and what PS styles do you wear over the summer (if any)....I need the advice ladies, new on this journey and I don't want anything to mess me up....:wallbash:

Based on your current hair length, you should wait until you grow it out more to do styles like cornrows and braids. You don't want to cause alot of tension on your scalp. As for weaves and wigs, I think they would be too hot for the summer. Just wear your hair as it is now. Just avoid rough and excessive manipulation. Keep your hair moisturized and you should be good to go. HTH. ;)

I agree with Poohbear, I wouldn't worry too much about PSing at your length, especially since it's summer time. I don't PS as much in the Summer because the air is usually more humid and doesn't dry my hair out as much as the winter air does. I would just avoid direct heat (flat irons and blow dryers) and stick with roller setting or air drying. HTH!

Are you natural? What about a wash and go?
My PS is wet bunning but at your length...it was really WnG, and that was before I knew what LHCF was.

I'd take the corn rows down. I'd also go with extension braids for a summer PS. They are easy to keep moisturized and can last 8+ weeks with proper care. Do a search on the Crown and Glory method.

I am new to this as well but thought I'd share what I have been doing lately. I don't plan on using any of the styles that cover up my hair: braids, wigs or sew-ins. I have been switching between a straw set for one week and then to a flat two strand twist the next week. Although I redo these styles in the middle of the week (I co-wash after 3-4 days and fully wash on the weekends), the flat two strand twists could have lasted the entire week. With that said, if your hair can take it, you can keep it in that long without having to do anything to it. The straw set is a little more work.

I am a little over 5 months post but have only been using protective styling for about 2 1/2 weeks.

I don't know but whenever I've had bumps after a braid procedure it has NEVER turned out well for my hair. I don't know if I'm allergic to synthetic hair or what but I say take those things out if you're already itching and feeling that type of tension.

did you try mixing glycerin with water and spraying that on your hair? Also trying th african pride braid spay it's really soothing. Hope it helps, if it persist take them off, OK. Plus don't let people pressure you to do what they want with you hair trust your spirit now look your hair is itching and you are in much discomfort. I am very sorry about that. Hope any of the sprays will help.

If its too tight take them out and if you're about to have a baby you need a style that requires little maintainance. Braids are good and you can have them long enough to pull back into a ponytail.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help ladies! I am going to be taking the cornrows out most likely. They are just irritating me. I keep being told PS is the way to go to grow my hair but it's doing a number on my nape which is really long. I think I should go back to me WNG and leave it at that. I used the glycerin and water, that soothed it, but it still is sliding out of the braid and not looking 100%....the moisturizers soothe but don't really help. I just don't think this style works for me right now lol. It's gotta go. Chalk it up to $$$ spent and a lesson learned:yep:

I don't know but whenever I've had bumps after a braid procedure it has NEVER turned out well for my hair. I don't know if I'm allergic to synthetic hair or what but I say take those things out if you're already itching and feeling that type of tension.
Have you tried rinsing the synthetic hair with ACV first to remove that base? This always alleviates irritation for me. (OP, you may benefit from this as well, since you cited itching as a problem.)

I'm not quite sure why you find it hard to moisturize your hair in cornrows since your scalp is easily accessible (I assume), but if they are giving you trouble, take them down. You don't want to have a setback, and the worst thing that could happen is it's all in your head and you just have to find a new style. I would recommend braids with extensions, whether it's box braids, yarn braids (great for summer since they retain mega moisture), senegalese twists, kinky twists, or whatever. You can bun them, put them in updos, or whatever you wish. Congrats on your soon-to-be bundle of joy, as well!

I'm a cornrow wearer but I do them myself so that they aren't tight or damaging. You should take the ones you got out--cornrows can be very damaging if you've got the wrong person doing them.

You should get braids instead, or even twists or comb coils. But I agree with the others that with short hair you don't really need either one of these. WNG's are perfect for the summer as a PS.

Perhaps trying for more curly styles so it would be more low manipulation albeit not a PS and still breezy enough for the summer heat.

What i wear mostly is twists (with my hair) and braids with extensions (that i have made alone for the first time last month).

there 2 styles keep moisture for me.

I tried doing cornrows with extensions too, but for me i ended up with bumps in my head( maybe was too tight?). the moisture didn't stay on my hair = maybe with this style you should try bagging?? just after putting moisture at night? TRY

but when i took my cornrows down (those with bumps) my scalp was irritated, dry,itchy.

Girl, wigs are the way to go. You look cute out, but when you get home, just snatch it off and care for your hair like you always do. I brought a synthetic lace front (very inexpensive). I started wigging because I don't do anything to my hair, I dont flat Iron, blow dry, and I wash it often. You could only imagine what my head looked like lol. I cant tell you enough why you should get a lace-front wig.

Have you tried rinsing the synthetic hair with ACV first to remove that base? This always alleviates irritation for me. (OP, you may benefit from this as well, since you cited itching as a problem.)

I'm not quite sure why you find it hard to moisturize your hair in cornrows since your scalp is easily accessible (I assume), but if they are giving you trouble, take them down. You don't want to have a setback, and the worst thing that could happen is it's all in your head and you just have to find a new style. I would recommend braids with extensions, whether it's box braids, yarn braids (great for summer since they retain mega moisture), senegalese twists, kinky twists, or whatever. You can bun them, put them in updos, or whatever you wish. Congrats on your soon-to-be bundle of joy, as well!

Thanks on the congrats! I meant that I can moisturize the scalp but I don't really know if I'm putting enough in my hair in the cornrows....lol. Maybe being new to this journey makes me less sure of what I need to do but the cornrows were just uncomfortable lol

Girl, wigs are the way to go. You look cute out, but when you get home, just snatch it off and care for your hair like you always do. I brought a synthetic lace front (very inexpensive). I started wigging because I don't do anything to my hair, I dont flat Iron, blow dry, and I wash it often. You could only imagine what my head looked like lol. I cant tell you enough why you should get a lace-front wig.

I'd love to if I didn't have a SO who has NEVER dealt with someone with a wig on lol and wouldn't know what to do! And in this Texas heat, my god when I tried to wear one last year I nearly died outside lol. I'd like to see how a lacefront came out though....I still may try lol:yawn:

Even though I just started my HHJ a while back, I've opted for not doing PS. I can't afford weaves and wigs at this time in my life. I don't know how to cornrow and I can't do flat twists on myself. So I just WnG and my hair seems to love me for it nonetheless.

One of my friends is schduled to have her baby this coming friday and she has been psing with wigs. My sister was psing with cornrows (her hair) while pregant and after. I think you could benefit from either wigs or cornrowing your hair pretty much any style that requires little to no manipulation because you will be busy with your baby.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for answers since I'm due in less than 2 weeks. I really wanted cornrows but I don't trust anyone around here not to do them tightly. I'm thinking once I stop working next week I would love some kinky twists but since my hair is still mostly relaxed I would need extensions and I'm not sure if that would work with my hair being past shoulder length.

I only use PS(Bunning w/juice) for the winter months and part of spring November 1st to May 1st, but this year I bunned until June 5th. I killed me to go the extra two months, but I have a goal in mind.

He should have just given you the braids like you asked. Some stylist don't like doing extension braids because it takes so long. But I think you would have been happy with the braids. If I were you I would take down those cornrows though and go from there. If your nape gets damaged you will be very upset. Your hair looks really pretty in your siggy--for years that was the length I craved but could never achieve because my nape kept breaking. Good luck with the baby and try not to stress too much over your hair.

Back