Protective Hairstyles (Are they really needed?)

Roselyn

I was wondering about the protective hairstyles. I noticed that plenty of the women/girls here wear them. Do the hairstyles protect the ends of your hair from splitting? What would be a good protective hairstyle for one with shoulder length hair (Touches my shoulder)? I thank everyone who answers!
wink.gif
newbie.gif

I asked this same question when I joined the forum. I was told buns, twists, and braids but they cause breakage for me or made my hair feel like it was gonna break. I dont like wearing weaves because I like sporting my real hair, so I put my hair in a ponytail that's not too tight as a protective style. I also do rollersets as well. I figured since I was younger, I didnt wear protective styles to grow my hair long so why bother now?
There's also several threads about the 'baggie method'. I have not tried this yet but they said it protects your ends by putting oils on the ends keeping them moist in a bun secured with a bag and not exposed to air. Ask Dontspeakdefeat or Adrienne0914 about it or do a search for baggie method and make the time frame about 4 weeks.

Hope that helps!
wink.gif

I dont think so...my hair responds better when I wear it out...the ends rub against either and break when it is up too often...

[ QUOTE ]
Aisha said:
I dont think so...my hair responds better when I wear it out...the ends rub against either and break when it is up too often...

[/ QUOTE ]

ive experienced this as well
smile.gif

Well the point of protective styles is so you won't have to blowdry (possibly) your hair or curl the ends. That's why buns and twists outs are suggested. You shouldn't experience any breakage with ponytails if you don't put the ponytails so tight and change the position of them often.

Also, styles like braidouts or twistouts (although it is also wearing the hair "out") are considered protective because they do not require any combing until the next wash, so it's less manipulation, and I air dry my hair instead of blowdrying.
For me, I never wore protective styles until I came to the hair boards and learned how to make them. Now I have several styles to choose from that only take a few minutes to do and have less manipulation (and look good too!).

ITA about protective styles allowing for less manipulattion of your hair. Also, most protective styles give you a break from heat. IMO both are necessary for hair growth.

I love the baggie method because it only takes about 10-15 minutes to style after washing my hair. Versus the time it takes, 45 minutes to several hours, to dry (hand or hooded dryer) and style (curling or flat iron).

My protective style is pin curls. I rollerset once every 2 weeks and keep the curls pinned to my head until wash day. This means no manipulation from combs or any heat appliances. In addition, if Im going out somewhere special, I just take them out and finger comb my ringlets.

If it's best for your hair and if you enjoy wearing your hair this way, it's good for you.
smile.gif

A lot of people choose protective styles and get breakage. However, there are numerous protective styles in which you most likely won't encounter any breakage at all unless you try. For example: a classic bun requires more manipulation (and therefore may cause breakages) than a french twist. A french braids requires more manipulation than the latter two, but if you're careful, can have the least breakage, etc.

It all depends on what styles you skillfully know how to create, how gentle you are with your hair, and how healthy your hair is.

If protective styles are for you, you'll find that when you moisturize your hair and keep the ends out of sight, they are still moisturized when you take your hair down, and you'll also have little to no split ends and no breakage.

To avoid breakage, buy Good Hair Days bun/chignon pins. Use these instead of a scrunchie to make your buns, twists, or whatever other styles.

Lubricate the pins with whatever creme or oil you use to moisturize. This will coat the strands and provide for easier take out so you don't pull your own hair. The pins also require less manipulation than scrunchies and you can create more styles with them.

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
My protective style is pin curls. I rollerset once every 2 weeks and keep the curls pinned to my head until wash day. This means no manipulation from combs or any heat appliances. In addition, if Im going out somewhere special, I just take them out and finger comb my ringlets.

[/ QUOTE ]
You keep your curls pinned? Can you post a pic of your hair pinned in pin curls Lonei? I'm trying to visualize this as a style. It sounds easy to do.

I wouldnt suggest protective hairstyles if you are so used to wearing your hair down or like wearing your hair down instead. But, if you are afraid wearing your hair down is causing your hair to stay the same length do to breakage from coming into contact with clothes, then you should try protective hairstlyes. If I wear my hair down which is most of the time, I put oils on my ends to protect my ends from breaking. HTH!

Isis, there is one photo in my album although its not very clear, there is a picture of something similar towards the end of a thread called ' I just did an AMMMMAZING Rollerset'. Do a search, mine looks like this, but its a lot flatter and slightly more defined, mine look like perfect O's.

Thanks Lonei. I must of missed your picture before but I just checked again and I see what you mean. It's very nice (and your hair is so gorgeous!). So you wear this style to work too? It looks like you do a lot of pincurls too.

Thanks Isis. I'm a university student and I wear it like this to uni everyday. I also work part time in an office so I where it there also. Sometimes if Im going out somewhere and I cant be bothered to take it out, I just spray it with oil sheen, make soft patterns around my hair line with olive oil creme and a brush, tye it down for about 10 minutes and it looks fresh and new. It also gives the illusion of short hair, so people are often shocked when they see my hair down. I grows very well in this style with no manipulation until I wash it next. The amount of pin curls I have depends o the roller size I use, the picture shows the amount used with the orange size rollers, however, with the purple large rollers, they alot bigger and there are alot less of them, however they are abit harder to pin down with small pins.

I hate wearing a bun but I love wearing loose updo's with chopsticks, clips, etc. I also wear braid outs and french rolls.

I also wear my hair down, depending on how I feel. For me, breakage didn't come from wearing my hair up or down but from lack of moisture and inconsistent (sp?) hair care.

What's protective for some isn't protective to others. For example, some people experience breakage with the bun. Protective styles are good for me when my hair is shedding really bad. They don't do much for my ends, but it's a great way to stop picking in my head.

I used to wear my hair in a twist, but began to experience thinning at the temples from brushing and pulling the hair back. Now I wear a style, which I like very much. I alternate between wrapping and roller setting my hair at night, so the style does not become too flat, and I have begun to flat iron when I do my weekly shampoo.

I think where many Black women encounter problems is with the daily use of heat appliances. I have never used heat on a daily basis to style my hair, only once a week when I wash and condition.

northernbelle

Back