Pros/Cons/Uses/Tips for Coconut Oil and Coconut Milk?

Aireen

Hi Everyone! :hiya2:

So I saw some topics a few days ago about some people using coconut oil and what techniques they used, whether or not it left their hair hard, whether or not it has protein, and so on. It left me confused so I was wondering the following:

- Does coconut milk have the potential to leave your hair hard too or is it the complete opposite?
- How do you use your coconut milk? (As a pre-poo? As a conditioning treatment? Mixed WITH your conditioners? If you do use it with a conditioner, do you use it with moisture based or protein based ones?)
- What is the BEST way to use coconut oil so it DOESN'T leave your hair hard? (As a pre-poo on wet hair or on dry hair? Mixed with conditioner? If so, moisture based or protein based conditioners? Heated or not?)

I know there's a lot of questions, I just want lots of answers filled with detailed information so when I do incorporate coconut oil or coconut milk into my routine for the first time my hair doesn't end up angry, cussing me out, and shedding all over the place. :look:

Thanks in advance! :drunk:

Last edited:
EVCO- i use it as a seal everyday and i mix it with some of my cheapie conditioners to co wash its never left my hair hard. hth

EVCO- i use it as a seal everyday and i mix it with some of my cheapie conditioners to co wash its never left my hair hard. hth

Thanks for your response! I was thinking of buying a cheapie shampoo and conditioner like the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut range and mixing it in that. :)

Does coconut milk have the potential to leave your hair hard too or is it the complete opposite?
I have not found that coconut milk leaves my hair hard. But then again, I have never used it as a leave-in (only as a conditioner...and I didn't find it a very good one).
What is the BEST way to use coconut oil so it DOESN'T leave your hair hard?
By "hard," do you mean hard to the touch or rough? If you mean hard to the touch, then whether coconut oil leaves your hair hard depends on the weather, not on how you use it. Coconut oil solidifies at just below room temperature and starts to melt above it. So, on a warm day, your hair will be soft (and if you use too much, the coconut oil might drip out of your hair and onto your neck and clothes!). On a cool or cold day, your hair will be hard. Of course, the less you use, the less your hair will reflect the hardening/softening of the coconut oil.

By "hard," do you mean hard to the touch or rough? If you mean hard to the touch, then whether coconut oil leaves your hair hard depends on the weather, not on how you use it. Coconut oil solidifies at just below room temperature and starts to melt above it. So, on a warm day, your hair will be soft (and if you use too much, the coconut oil might drip out of your hair and onto your neck and clothes!). On a cool or cold day, your hair will be hard. Of course, the less you use, the less your hair will reflect the hardening/softening of the coconut oil.

Yes, hard to touch and rough. When I read a few topics the other day one said that the comb couldn't get through her hair so that was another concern.

I recently brought organix coconut milk serum and leave in that left my hair very soft and silky. I think it is considered protein b cuz of the egg proteins in it. U can get it at walgreens, target or walmart

Yes, hard to touch and rough. When I read a few topics the other day one said that the comb couldn't get through her hair so that was another concern.
I believe she mixed the coconut oil with all sorts of things. Simple is often best. Plus, coconut oil is very thick, so I do not usually comb my hair when it is in. I use it as a leave-in and save the slippery oils (olive and jojoba) for combing.

I recently brought organix coconut milk serum and leave in that left my hair very soft and silky. I think it is considered protein b cuz of the egg proteins in it. U can get it at walgreens, target or walmart

Oh I live in Canada but I know one place that sells Organix products, I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I believe she mixed the coconut oil with all sorts of things. Simple is often best. Plus, coconut oil is very thick, so I do not usually comb my hair when it is in. I use it as a leave-in and save the slippery oils (olive and jojoba) for combing.

Oh yeah, she did. Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when I use my coconut oil. :)

coconut oil
mix with shea butter for a moisturizing hair cream
warm and put on hair as a pre-poo
massage into scalp for growth

coconut milk
Mix with honey and conditioner for a deep condition
apply with eggs for a rich protein treatment
use to soften hair and loosen curl

coconut oil
mix with shea butter for a moisturizing hair cream
warm and put on hair as a pre-poo
massage into scalp for growth