Proper method for take down of braids

ElizaBlue

I am trying to get to bra strap length. Today I had my relaxed 4b-c hair put in individuals using synthetic hair. I made sure they braided past my hair and that it wasn't too tight. My concerns are this, can I do a color rinse with braids and what is the proper way to take down? The shop will do them for $65. They cut off the extension and then wet the hair and comb it by the sections until all remaining braids are out.

I have heard good things about this method and bad things. The good, it doesn't take as long to get them down. When I take out my braids it takes forever. But I don't trust anyone to do it for me. The bad, I have heard that some people wind up with chunks of broken hairs because these ladies literally snatch your hair out. Of course they are not going to be as gentle to your hair as you are.
nono.gif

If you really trust the people I say go ahead. Taking braids out is a pain.

My way. I take the braids down one by one and gently separate the braid with my fingers to loosen up the buildup and release some of the shedded hair. It is usually a good amount. I take a medium tooth comb and comb through and do that again with a fine tooth comb. It is important to get the tangle out before washing because if you don't you will wind up with a tangle matted mess of hair. This method takes forever but I have never lost any hair by doing it this way. Good Luck!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
My way. I take the braids down one by one and gently separate the braid with my fingers to loosen up the buildup and release some of the shedded hair. It is usually a good amount. I take a medium tooth comb and comb through and do that again with a fine tooth comb. It is important to get the tangle out before washing because if you don't you will wind up with a tangle matted mess of hair. This method takes forever but I have never lost any hair by doing it this way. Good Luck!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing DSD.
smile.gif

One thing I've learned about braids is that to take them out properly, it basically takes the same amount of time it took to put them in. To be on safe side, I would just follow DSD's instructions. You dont want to lose all the progress you made by letting someone rip you hair out for the sake of convenience
nono.gif

And I've never heard of anyone doing coloring while already in the braids. That sounds like it would lead up to protein buildup.

I completely agree with DSD. My only add-on would be maybe using a bit of conditioner with slip to loosen the braids up. Then the dirt will cling to the conditioner and it would be easier to clean your hair. And please, please detangle b4 washing!

Sorry, I dont know anything about color rinses while in braids.

Co-signing on DSD's method and adding if you have a really bad tangle to seperate it with a safety pin. You will get rid of the tangle without losing hair. Also I use oils/hairdressings instead of conditioner for slip. I find the conditioner makes it wet and fragile.

I am currently in braids. I have learned thru trial and error to take my braids down myself. I usually take a weekend to do it. I am extremely careful not to pull or rip as I go and I detangle as I go.

I think these are all very good tips. Thanks!

I tried Better Braids Unbraid to detangle my hair before washing out a twistout from hell yesterday.It worked really well.Has anyone ever used this when taking down their braids?I am planning to get braids soon.

[ QUOTE ]
dannie_19 said:
I completely agree with DSD. My only add-on would be maybe using a bit of conditioner with slip to loosen the braids up. Then the dirt will cling to the conditioner and it would be easier to clean your hair. And please, please detangle b4 washing!

smile.gif
ITA

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
I tried Better Braids Unbraid to detangle my hair before washing out a twistout from hell yesterday.It worked really well.Has anyone ever used this when taking down their braids?I am planning to get braids soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bumping for an answer

cut excess braid off....unravel gently...dont pull...and apply a light mist of spray to condition and soften the hair a bit.

Ladies thank you so much for your input. I guess I will have to recruit my kids and boyfriend and just make a weekend out of it. I dread the thought because my head is so dang big, I have about a million braids and they are not micro.

Back