Progress and the itch to cut (pictures inside)

DesireeElla

Okay guys... I've been enviously reading the long-term transitioners thread, etc, and basically dying. I want to wait at least until may (when school's out, that'll be 17 months for me) before I bc, but it's getting so hard. I CONSTANTLY have the urge to cut, but I'm not used to short hair and I'm deathly afraid of what I'll look like with my fro:P I'm just so tired of bunning, and scared of messing up my new growth with a flat iron. Blah.:ohwell:
Anyway, I also wanted to ask if you could help my type my curl pattern? Am I 3c/4a?
Lastly, am I on track growth-wise? I haven't been doing anything special (I'm too lazy and afraid of making things worse rather than better) and am wondering if I have been hindering my growth because of this. Again, I've been transitioning for 12 months.

The last picture is of my hair flat ironed from a couple months ago.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 125
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 117
  • hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 109
Looks 3c, but hard to tell with your relaxed ends. I think you'll be alright if you cut now, but wait if you want more length. And limit your heat usage.

Looks 3C but you really won't know until you cut it.

How many inches of new growth do you have? Your hair is NL so if anything maybe just cut every 2 months till the relaxed ends are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

stretched out the new growth is about 5 1/2 inches. i guess i could start gradually trimming, maybe that'll alleviate my boredom a bit.

I don't really know how to type hair. I'm not even sure of my hair type. How do you normally wear your hair? Do you ps at all?

You look like a 3c to me but like the other ladies said you really won't know until you cut it...You should cut it!! j/k I'm transitioning too and also fighting the urge to cut.

haha dont tempt me!! and i just put it in a bun, literally every day. it's starting to depress me! but i'm petrified of cutting it off because of the anticipated shrinkage!

Well, you know the shrinkage is going to be there and at 5 1/2", I would do like BostonMaria said, just snip a little every 2 months. I bet by May, you'll really have something to work with and won't regret having cut too soon.

haha dont tempt me!! and i just put it in a bun, literally every day. it's starting to depress me! but i'm petrified of cutting it off because of the anticipated shrinkage!

You're assuming you'll have shrinkage, truth is you have no idea right now how much shrinkage you'll have.

BTW my hair is waist length and it shrinks up to shoulder length so regardless whether you cut it now or later, shrinkage just comes with the package.

I hate short hair too so when I BC'd I made sure I had enough hair to at least put into a cute ponytail. If you're not ready, don't worry because when you ARE you'll know. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Love your curls, not sure about your curl pattern though. I'm definitely no expert but looks like a 3c to me too! Good luck, I know it's hard fighting the urge to cut (I'm almost 9 months an fight the urge to cut every day... NO JOKE lol) I figure once it's cut, it'll be the start of a new beginning and by next year time I'll have a full head of healthy hair. Keep us posted.

Nice progress you are making...I guess I am the only one who didn't have the urge to BC...I transitioned for over two years (but I did do a series of trims). Keep up the good work!

thanks ladies! and i wish i didn't have the urge. but i definitely do. i just feel like it would be so much easier, i can't embrace my hair in this inbetween phase:( but again, i'm too chicken! so i'm totally jealous you didn't have the urge, how did you transition? your hair is beautiful!

Back