Professional versus Store bought Relaxers

EXSQUISIT

I have read a lot of posts where ladies say they prefer to have the professional relaxers applied by a professional, but feel comfortable doing the store bought relaxers on their own. Is there a major difference between the two? Are the pro relaxers stronger or harder to apply? Do you notice a difference in the way your hair turns out if you use a store brand as opposed to pro? I'm wondering because I'm still deciding whether to do my own retouch in February. TIA

I've used both and have no problems applying them myself, but they have both been no lye. I'm wondering if the professional relaxers have been lye which is why they may prefer it applied by a professional since that tends to burn faster.

[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
I've used both and have no problems applying them myself, but they have both been no lye. I'm wondering if the professional relaxers have been lye which is why they may prefer it applied by a professional since that tends to burn faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

However I agree that the lye ones are a little more challenging in my eyes, probably for the exact reason that bocagirl mentioned. I applied a lye relaxer on my self a LOOooooong time ago and experienced damaged and it burned more.

oh okay. I guess that makes sense. The professional relaxer that my stylist uses now is no lye. Is it safe to use a professional no lye version on your own?

I always use a professional lye relaxer, and I do it myself. No big deal, but you don't have to mix the relaxer with an activator.

[ QUOTE ]
ms_jennifer said:
oh okay. I guess that makes sense. The professional relaxer that my stylist uses now is no lye. Is it safe to use a professional no lye version on your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why not. Many people here use Affirm which is a professional relaxer. I use the no lye but I know some also use the lye version at home also.

What relaxer does your stylist use?

Ms_J:

The professional lye relaxer that I use (to do my own hair with) gives me better results than any no-lye relaxer I have bought. My hair seems to hold more moisture, have more body and is more elastic.

It is no harder to apply than the no-lye ones. It's one less step like LEOLady said. You don't have to mix it with the activator. The jar keeps it's strength too, so you can use it later for retouches because of that(no activator), without having to worry about it losing strength.

Also, lye relaxers seem to last longer on my hair.

As far as the burn, it's the same FIRE to me!!

I have never received a professional relaxer nor a relaxer from a salon so I wouldnt know the difference.

I've also thought that professional salon relaxers are stronger or something...I'm not for sure; I would like to know the difference too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wait a minute...so there are some store bought relaxers that are professional? I'm confused...is Elasta QP a professional relaxer?????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Wait a minute...so there are some store bought relaxers that are professional? I'm confused...is Elasta QP a professional relaxer?????? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Poohbear,

If you look hard enough you can find ANY relaxer in a store, some more so than others. I think Design Essentials is the only relaxer that I can never seem to find online or in a store.

I would not think of Elasta QP as a professional relaxer though, but that is my opinion.

The professional relaxers are the lye relazers that you don't have to mix. They usually come in at tub on the shelf by itself unlike most of the no lye at home relaxers which mostly come in a box along with the activator, nuetralizing shampoo and conditioner, etc.

There are some no lye ralaxer which come already mixed, like Gentle Treatment and PCJ also has one.

There are also LYE relaxers which come in a kit/box like you may find a Revlon Realistic lye in a kit.

Poubbear, I think you have use professional relaxers, Elasta QP and Motions, unless of course you bought the no-lye kits in these brands?

[ QUOTE ]
Growingitlong said:
The professional relaxers are the lye relazers that you don't have to mix. They usually come in at tub on the shelf by itself unlike most of the no lye at home relaxers which mostly come in a box along with the activator, nuetralizing shampoo and conditioner, etc.

There are some no lye ralaxer which come already mixed, like Gentle Treatment and PCJ also has one.

There are also LYE relaxers which come in a kit/box like you may find a Revlon Realistic lye in a kit.

Poubbear, I think you have use professional relaxers, Elasta QP and Motions, unless of course you bought the no-lye kits in these brands?

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying if a company makes both lye and no-lye relaxers ex. Affirm, only the lye relaxers are considered professional?

I've always used lye. I've never used a relaxer where you have to mix anything. So are all lye relaxers professional relaxers??

[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
ms_jennifer said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why not. Many people here use Affirm which is a professional relaxer. I use the no lye but I know some also use the lye version at home also.

What relaxer does your stylist use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks bocagirl! She uses optimum ultra sensitive scalp.

Okay. I think I may stick with no lye since I've always used that version, but I will get the optimum which I've only found on Sheldeez so far. I tried to find it in local bss but haven't seen the no lye, only the mild version.

Thanks ladies!

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I've always used lye. I've never used a relaxer where you have to mix anything. So are all lye relaxers professional relaxers??

[/ QUOTE ] I THINK "PROFESSIONAL" MEANS THAT PARTICULAR LINE CATERS TO SALONS OR LICENSED STYLIST!

[ QUOTE ]
lovechic said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ] I THINK "PROFESSIONAL" MEANS THAT PARTICULAR LINE CATERS TO SALONS OR LICENSED STYLIST!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I remember some months ago I asked an employee at a beauty supply store, "Is the Motions or ElastaQp relaxer better?" and she said, "ElastaQP is better. It's a professional relaxer."

[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Poohbear,

If you look hard enough you can find ANY relaxer in a store, some more so than others. I think Design Essentials is the only relaxer that I can never seem to find online or in a store.

I would not think of Elasta QP as a professional relaxer though, but that is my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ] YOU ARE SO RIGHT! YOU CAN BUY ALMOST ANY "PROFESSIONAL" RELAXER WITH OR WITHOUT A LICENSE!

Back