Products for natural hair - why so pricey?

naturalmanenyc

I do not think that we are cheap by any means, and it could be simply because we are in NYC but why is a 2 oz jar of Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue $7.99?:perplexed The 8 oz jar is $24.99.

DH and I stopped in Ricky's today and checked out products. We saw Miss Jessie's (full ine), Kinky Curly Curling Custard ($17.99 for 8 oz) and a few other popular products for naturals.

What is the deal with products for naturals being so pricey?

Even on the website, a 2 oz jar is $7 + shipping.
http://www.missjessies.com/01_shop/shop_list.htm

I would love to try some of the new products for naturals (there are lots of lines that I'd like to try), but I just cannot justify spending $7 - $10 + shipping on 2 ounces of product that may not even work for my hair.

Anyone else being held back on trying some of the new product lines for naturals due to the price?

I've heard that some of the natural ingredients are expensive, and that contributes to the high prices.

As for Miss Jessie's, I have no idea why those products are so expensive. While I was in Target, I saw a girl looking at the largest size of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding. Her face froze and her eyes started bulging when she saw the price. I actually went over to see if she was okay.

I don't know because the Miss Jessie's doesn't use "natural" products...Oh, mineral oil is natural, isn't it?:rolleyes:

thats why Im so happy my hair is a cheap hoe

water
glycerine/honeyquat
aloevera (gel), ecostyler
shea butter
castor oil
ayurveda

Ive tried many products, but then I realized that there were specific ingredients in those products that my hair liked, so why not just feed her the ingredients she likes.

right now the only "prepared" products I use are the ecostyler/IC fantasia gel and my poos/conditioners

I've heard that some of the natural ingredients are expensive, and that contributes to the high prices.

As for Miss Jessie's, I have no idea why those products are so expensive. While I was in Target, I saw a girl looking at the largest size of Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding. Her face froze and her eyes started bulging when she saw the price. I actually went over to see if she was okay.

:lachen:......

I don't know because the Miss Jessie's doesn't use "natural" products...Oh, mineral oil is natural, isn't it?:rolleyes:

I agree. I bought two jars of the stretch silkening cream last year. It arrived at my door and I read the ingredients. #2 was Mineral Oil. I was too done. That stuff is still sitting in my bathroom pantry. I remember someone on YT saying they changed their ingredients but they weren't specific so I didn't realize it was that terrible.

thats why Im so happy my hair is a cheap hoe

water
glycerine/honeyquat
aloevera (gel), ecostyler
shea butter
castor oil
ayurveda

Ive tried many products, but then I realized that there were specific ingredients in those products that my hair liked, so why not just feed her the ingredients she likes.

right now the only "prepared" products I use are the ecostyler/IC fantasia gel and my poos/conditioners
Right there with you. I get oils and ayurveda powders from the Indian grocer and use Garnier, Queen Helene, and Lustrasilk conditioners. The priciest product I use is ORS Hair Mayonnaise.

Well on the bright side they offer 2 oz sizes which are basically trial sizes. What I don't like are the products where the only size is a huge tub so if you want to try you have to buy the large size then you end up stuck with these huge buckets of stuff collecting dust in your bathroom. The mineral oil is a deal breaker for me. I didn't see the ingredients listed on their website but they should put them up.

Wow!! I wonder how many others react in a similar way to the pricing for natural products, albeit Miss Jessie's does to seem to be all natural anymore.

I do not think that we are cheap by any means, and it could be simply because we are in NYC but why is a 2 oz jar of Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue $7.99?:perplexed The 8 oz jar is $24.99.

DH and I stopped in Ricky's today and checked out products. We saw Miss Jessie's (full ine), Kinky Curly Curling Custard ($17.99 for 8 oz) and a few other popular products for naturals.

What is the deal with products for naturals being so pricey?

Even on the website, a 2 oz jar is $7 + shipping.
http://www.missjessies.com/01_shop/shop_list.htm

I would love to try some of the new products for naturals (there are lots of lines that I'd like to try), but I just cannot justify spending $7 - $10 + shipping on 2 ounces of product that may not even work for my hair.

Anyone else being held back on trying some of the new product lines for naturals due to the price?

This is exactly why many natural ladies don't buy 'natural products' anylonger. They have hidden ingredients n(like the mineral oils) and other baddies. I personally love my EVCO, Shea Butter, and my ayurvedic powders and oils. Can't get more natural than that :grin:

Consider those prices relatively inexpensive....locally, kccc costs $23.99 at whole foods and miss jessies isnt even in the 2oz jar at our Target, everything is $30 and up, with the most expensive being $48....I never spent $30 on a hair product prior to transitioning, but now $30 is where I draw the line on 1 product. I cant be bought as far as thats concerned. The thing to remember is that you dont have to try EVERYTHING...its tempting but unneccessary, once you find the products that your hair loves, stick to em and stock up on em when they go on sale...regardless to what the new 'rave' is...you will certainly be in the poor house and have many days of disappointment if you try all the stuff people swear by

HA HA I had a childhood friend do that to a lady a few weeks ago at Target. :rofl3: The friend has been a home beautician for a while and she's always thought Miss Jessie's products were utter crap. Glad she was able to warn somebody not to spend their money on them. :rofl3:

Last edited:
If you compare the number of ounces you get in a Miss Jessie's product to what people are paying for small sizes of other products, they really aren't as expensive as people make them out to be. I have a tub of Curly Meringue that it is going to last forever and is worth every single penny. I also love the Creme de la Curl and Creme de la Creme cleanser and conditioner, and they are reasonably priced.

Also, when you buy Miss Jessie's from a smaller retailer, they upcharge $1-$5 to make a profit. For example, that 8 oz. jar ($24.99 at Ricky's) is actually $22 if you buy from Target (large retailer) or directly from Miss Jessie's.

BTW, my hair isn't natural. I like that Miss Jessie's advertising targets all markets, not just naturals and not just curly girls.

thats why Im so happy my hair is a cheap hoe:lachen:
I would guess that most of that stuff ( yea, I said stuff) is expensive because that is what the market will bear. In other words, so long as we are willing to pay the price, they will charge it.
Some folks get hung up on the "natural" label and think it is a license to charge more.

We learn through trial and error sometimes what works and it's a lot easier on the pocketbook to buy an inexpensive product that doesn't work well for your hair than an expensive one that doesn't work. Expensive crappy hair products = money down the drain! Money that could have been used for something else.

Baybaaaay, when I saw that Miss Jessie's for $52 today at Target, my eyes were bulging too!! I wanted to try the Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine but NO WAY am I paying $13 for something that looks like it would only last me a week between me and my daughter. I'm very heavy handed. I like for our hair to be soaked while bunning.

NO WAY!!

I forgot, we saw Jane Carter products in Ricky's too - pricey as well.

I will stick with my Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1, 32 oz for $13. Glad I found something that works for my hair.

Baybaaaay, when I saw that Miss Jessie's for $52 today at Target, my eyes were bulging too!! I wanted to try the Jane Carter's Nourish & Shine but NO WAY am I paying $13 for something that looks like it would only last me a week between me and my daughter. I'm very heavy handed. I like for our hair to be soaked while bunning.

NO WAY!!

Last edited:
No, $4 per ounce is not normal. I have a pretty large stash of product and I'm hard pressed to find anything that is $4 per ounce, not even the WEN Fig or Karen's Body Beautiful products. The Sabino Moisture Block is probably the priciest product that I've purchased.

IMG_0008-vi.jpg

IMG_0010-vi.jpg

IMG_0015-vi.jpg

IMG_0023-vi.jpg

If you compare the number of ounces you get in a Miss Jessie's product to what people are paying for small sizes of other products, they really aren't as expensive as people make them out to be. I have a tub of Curly Meringue that it is going to last forever and is worth every single penny. I also love the Creme de la Curl and Creme de la Creme cleanser and conditioner, and they are reasonably priced.

Also, when you buy Miss Jessie's from a smaller retailer, they upcharge $1-$5 to make a profit. For example, that 8 oz. jar ($24.99 at Ricky's) is actually $22 if you buy from Target (large retailer) or directly from Miss Jessie's.

BTW, my hair isn't natural. I like that Miss Jessie's advertising targets all markets, not just naturals and not just curly girls.

Last edited:

NO WAY!!

Where do you get the JC Nourish & Shine for $13? I pay $14.99

@ naturalmanenyc: I had so much fun identifying the products in your pics.

I can 'sort of' see why Qhemet, HV, SSI, Afroveda, BeeMine, KBB, Darcy's, Oyin, CurlJunkie, MYHoneyChild, Mozeke are a little pricey. They're Handmade Products and for the most part, they're good.:look:

And when people like something they 'offer' they're willing to pay it.:blush:

My Advice: it's Best to use them sparingly and always stock up when you catch them on Sale.

*Also, most of them are pretty generous in their 'sample' sizes.:yep:

It's always good to have a 'mix' of products in your Arsenal. For example: I enjoy QP Mango Butter but I also like JC Nourish and Shine.

I like Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer, but I also like KBB's Hair Milk too.

Product Juggling.:grin:

i agree with T. i am willing to pay the price for products that work on my hair. kbb, qhemet and afroveda are staples that my hair will never be without.

i also love miss jessies curly meringue but an 8oz(costing no more than jane carter 4oz) will last me a year. yes i said year.

Natural Products are kind of new..at least the ones that market to women with natural hair. Since most of them start in their kitchen, they don't get the good deals on ingredients like a major product would. They are going to be paying higher prices just because they are new and dont have connections like that...At the end of the day, it is a business- a small business at that. Its not like L'Oreal or Pantene where they can make millions and they can afford to sell for $5/bottle...but they also have the money to put up.
I like JC and MJ, but its all in what people like on their hair. Any product isnt for everyone- if you tried different products and really loved it then Im sure you could justify paying more money for it. Its all in what people like.

NO WAY!!
the n&s is about $19 -$21 in my neck of the woods!

Natural Products are kind of new..at least the ones that market to women with natural hair. Since most of them start in their kitchen, they don't get the good deals on ingredients like a major product would. They are going to be paying higher prices just because they are new and dont have connections like that...At the end of the day, it is a business- a small business at that. Its not like L'Oreal or Pantene where they can make millions and they can afford to sell for $5/bottle...but they also have the money to put up.
I like JC and MJ, but its all in what people like on their hair. Any product isnt for everyone- if you tried different products and really loved it then Im sure you could justify paying more money for it. Its all in what people like.
ita and i pay for quality products myself and don't mind... but the key word is QUALITY... no way am i willing to pay $$$$$$$$$$$ for petroleum or mineral oil based products when i could buy vaseline or better yet the dollar store version for $0.99

Not to hijack the thread, but if say some of the smaller companies like the Afroveda, Qhemet, KBB etc...sold their stuff for $40 instead of the $18-22 or so they sell it at now, is it okay then? Would you all pay for it and not complain abt the prices? I think people would find something wrong with the other companies if their stuff was more expensive- All natural or not. I think either way, each person has to justify what they spend on what they want. A dress may only cost $5 to make it including the fabric, but you have to justify spending $50 on it.

You have some companies whose shelf life is only 3 months..but you can pay 20 something for the more "quality" but it doesn't last long. So I guess it depends on what each person is looking for.
But what is quality really in a hair product---The ingredients in it or the ability to work well in your hair? If something doesn't work well in my hair, then I can justify spending 1cent on it..."quality" or not

NO WAY!!

lol...the JCN&S really does last forever...you truly only need no more than a dime size..it can get greasy, its soo hard to over-do it, the mixture is very compact.

Having a LEGIT business costs money and I'm talking about the real mccoy, folks that test products in a lab, have a company that does their packaging, website and employs some folks.

Not Laqueetah in the kitchen throwing together shea butter and castor oil and trying to charge $30. Who you fooling.

Back