Product reviews (super long but with pics)

Zaz

I've been trying to use up all my hair products because I have way too much stuff, so much so that I forget whether or not I like something or if I even tried it at all :spinning:. So a couple of months ago I started taking pictures of my hair in the morning and putting an image of the product I used right on my face so I don't forget. This is what a hair board does to you :look: Since I do my hair often, I wanted to see if I could get it to do what I want using a moderately priced daily styler.
And I figured I might as well share the pictures here because anyone else who saw them would probably think I was crazy but you guys understand:lol:

The first picture is day one and the 2nd is day 2 after spritzing with water. Sometimes I forgot to take day 2 hair pics because I have so much stuff that I usually do a fresh wash n go every day. I rated each product based on look, how my hair feels, availability, price and smell (5 star total)

Kinky Curly Curling Custard $2.12/oz (16.99 for 8 oz) ****
I love this stuff. I love the smell, I really love their leave in so maybe that helps me love it a lil more as I have much love for the line. It can dry with a bit of crunch if you use too much but I love the way my hair looks with it. And it gives me great 2nd, 3rd, 4th day hair. It is a bit more pricey but definitely worth it.
kccc.jpg

Eco styler blue styling gel $0.09/oz ($2.99 for 32 oz) (cheapest of the bunch at less than a dime per ounce :blush:) ***
This definitely weighs the hair down and makes it ‘fall’ more so to speak. My hair doesn’t have much volume to it when I use this. If it didn’t give my hair a crunchy feeling and if I didn’t like big hair, this would definitely be on my repurchase list.
*It does work well for pulling your hair back into a puff but I also have a huge tub of olive oil eco which I will be using and repurchasing for that purpose.
blueecp.jpg

John Frieda $0.69/oz ($5 for 7.2 oz) *
This was horrible, I thought I didn’t mind mousse for a quick fix when I wasn’t home but looking at the picture comparisons, I realised that I should hate the stuff :lol:. My hair felt crunchy and it flakes when it dries. Herbal essences totally twisted mousse was just as bad :ohwell:
johnfriedamousse-1.jpg

Curly cocktail (mixed Elasta QP mango olive oil butter with some eco styler) $0.9/oz ****
To try and get rid of some of these jars I had sometimes I’d get fed up and just mix two things together so I get to cross them both off my list :look: This one worked rather well, it performed better than either one of them alone. The mango butter cut the gel’s harshness and my hair didn’t dry as hard
curlycocktail.jpg

Garnier fructis cream gel $0.6/oz ($3 for 5 oz) *****
I liked it, it has a nice smell to it and it's a nice middle between a gel and a cream. It didn't leave my hair too weighed down and didn't have that crunchy feeling that I hate. Plus it's super cheap and sold everywhere
eta Now I kinda hate the smell of all Garnier products, probably won't repurchase :lol:
garniercghair.jpg

Garnier fiber gum putty $0.59/oz ($3 for 5.1 oz) **
This one really weighed my hair down, I originally purchased it to try on my twist outs but I never do twist outs and needed to use things up. I guess if I wanted to show more length I might use this but I probably won’t repurchase.
IMG-20110406-00289.jpg
this one's just beginning vs end of the day, my hair usually swells way more.

Mixed silk leave in $0.46/oz ($7.99 for 17.25 oz) 0 stars
I hated it. I gave this one several chances but it gives a white finish which takes forever to dry off, and I don’t use a diffuser so that was annoying. The 3rd time I tried it I ended up having to use a diffuser. Either way it dries hard and crunch, I didn’t like the consistency and my hair looked ashy at the end of the day. I ended up returning it to Sally’s and got more of the next item on my list :grin:
mixedsilkhair.jpg

GVP smoothing ultimate styling creme $1.04/oz ($6.29 for 6 oz) ****
I really like this stuff, I use it for my dry twist outs but decided to try it on a wash n go and it worked fairly well.
gvphair.jpg

Suave professionals sleek anti-frizz cream $0.32/oz ($1.99 for 6.3 oz) ****
This works well and is cheap and portable. It gives my hair quite a bit of volume while keeping a bit of definition. I’ve switched to this one as my go to overnight bag product that I wouldn’t mind losing rather than the Frieda mousse.
suavehair2.jpg

Organic gurl curl defining crème $0.88/oz ($3.50 for 4 oz) ****
I bought this at Target on clearance, I’m pretty sure this line has been discontinued because I couldn't find anything when I googled them which is a shame because I really liked it. It’s all natural and cone free so it doesn’t cause any buildup. My hair felt soft and I really liked the way it looks.
organicgurl.jpg

Curls Curl crème brulee $1.37/oz ($10.99 for 8 oz) *****
I love the smell of this one. It also worked well at moisturising my hair without weighing it down or drying hard or flaky. I’ll probably rebuy this.
curlshair.jpg

SheaMoisture coconut & hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie $0.83/oz ($9.99 for 12 oz) *****
I really liked it. It moisturises without weighing my hair down too much and doesn’t flake or dry hard. I like the feel of this product and the smell doesn’t linger when it dries. I’ll definitely repurchase.
sheamoisturesmoothie.jpg

SheaMoisture Organic raw shea butter deep treatment masque $0.83/oz ($9.99 for 12 oz) *****
The instructions say it can be used as a leave in so I tried it. This one smells a little less fruity and feels a bit less creamy than the smoothie but I like it a lot as well. Will repurchase.
IMG-20110409-00323.jpg

SheaMoisture coconut & hibiscus curl & style conditioning milk $1.25/oz ($9.99 for 8 oz) *****
This one is a bit more airy then the smoothie. My left side is more coarse than the right and the milk doesn't lay it down as well as the smoothie or the masque but I like that. It gave my hair more volume and allowed me to have the big hair I like. At the end of the day my hair still felt soft and moisturised. I’ll definitely repurchase.
IMG-20110407-00290.jpg

Miss Jessie's curly meringue $2.75/oz ($22 for 8 oz) ** (most expensive one)
Now there's nothing exactly wrong with this stuff, it smells great, my hair came out looking pretty nice as well but... at that price and it contains cones and mineral oil :nono: I bought the sample sizes in anticipation before I even BCed :giggle: It costs more than 27 times the price of the Ecostyler, has worse ingredients but makes my hair look the same. I probably won't ever repurchase.
*I don't have pictures with the curly pudding and I've used it all up but it looked the same however I prefer the meringue.
IMG-20110409-00321.jpg

I like this use it up thing, because I realised that I actually dislike certain things I thought I liked and have a new found appreciation for others. I prefer creamy stylers to gels but I came to the conclusion that most things pretty much make my hair look the same.

If I had to pick a favourite, even though I'm fairly new to it I think I'd go with the SheaMoisture line. It gets 5 stars on my ratings system and it's organic and cone free :yep:

Thanks for looking :wave:

ETA I use either Giovanni direct leave in or Kinky curly knot today as a moisturiser underneath all of them.

Last edited:
Very thorough. I'll have to look back at this when I'm ready to buy something new. Thanks for the reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Thank you for the reviews and pics. This was very helpful!

Sent from my PG06100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

This is great Zaz. I can't even imagine trying to do this :lol:

Do you just have your camera in your bathroom already set up? How do you manage this?

Let me know when you set up your YT so I can check out your reviews. :grin:

This is a great thread! I am a natural, well I have a couple inches od BKT ends to butcher off but before that horrible mistake I used to use Infusium 23 Moisturology then Pantene SplitEnd prevention. It's a leave-in cream, moisture protection and for some reason this was the only combination of products that would not make my curls crunchy and keep them moisturized. I could finger through my curls throughout the day and whip them around and they would bounce and snap back. Gels and everything else were too heavy. I tried miss jessies and a few of the other products you revied and they are sitting right in a box in my office room...:nono: I have a looser curl pattern than yours but I think its worth giving it a try, your hair is gorgeous and I understand not wanting the crunchy curl. Thanks for the reviews, I didnt want them to end lol!!!!

You're welcome ladies :)

faithVA I used my phone's camera for all of them, I just stand in front of my bathroom mirror to make sure all my hair's in the shot and voila. So it's pretty easy but I just have to remember to do it. A couple of products I used up without ever remembering to take any pics :ohwell:.

This is the most thorough, awesome LHCF review ever! And the pics are of your hair styled with the specific product blocking your face? GENIUS:yep:

This is the most thorough, awesome LHCF review ever! And the pics are of your hair styled with the specific product blocking your face? GENIUS:yep:

At first I was taking pictures and naming them the product name but I have a lot of products from the same line so the names were getting pretty long. Then I figured, it'd be easier to just paste an image of the product on my face. That way I know what I'm looking at at first glance, and it made all photos board ready, two birds one stone, it was genius in its simplicity :lol:.

Thank you so much for the reviews! i cant wait to try some of these when I'm done transitioning. I think we're hair twins:drunk:.

This is a great thread! I am a natural, well I have a couple inches od BKT ends to butcher off but before that horrible mistake I used to use Infusium 23 Moisturology then Pantene SplitEnd prevention. It's a leave-in cream, moisture protection and for some reason this was the only combination of products that would not make my curls crunchy and keep them moisturized. I could finger through my curls throughout the day and whip them around and they would bounce and snap back. Gels and everything else were too heavy. I tried miss jessies and a few of the other products you revied and they are sitting right in a box in my office room...:nono: I have a looser curl pattern than yours but I think its worth giving it a try, your hair is gorgeous and I understand not wanting the crunchy curl. Thanks for the reviews, I didnt want them to end lol!!!!

Thanks for the compliment :)
I danced around the idea of the bkt for a bit but I'm glad I never tried it. I didn't really like the idea of losing my coils for months and I was afraid of getting any damage and having my hair not revert in some parts. Sucks that that happened to your hair :ohwell:

I loved this. I spent the last week doing the same thing andd came to the same conclusions. My hair pretty much looked the same no matter what I used. But my fave was SheaMoisture coconut & hibiscus curl enhancing. Great price, great smell and easy application and it doesn't take your hair forever to dry when you use it.

Hey Zaz, you are a 4b, correct? Do you mind posting a pic of your hair without any products at all?

Love your hair and product reviews! Thanks!
Thank you :yep:

Riverrock I've been told 4b & 4c, I figured I gave you guys about 20 photos of my hair so you see what it looks like :lol:.

It falls differently depending on how many days away from a shampoo I am, these are naked dry freshly shampooed hair:
Butler-20110212-00041.jpg
Butler-20110212-00040.jpg

Butler-20110212-00043.jpg

And this is naked dry hair after I spent maybe 2-3 days cowashing daily:
IMG-20110325-00250-1.jpg
IMG-20110325-00251.jpg

I meant to add these to that naked hair thread but I forgot.

Last edited:
this thread inspired me to do a WnG with the sheamoisture deep treatment masque as a leave-in...my hair was soooo soft and moisturized

You have really put a lot of effort into finding products that will give you whatever look you are going for! That's great!!!

Whenever I find a "pricey" product that works well, I like to find a less pricey one that works just as well.

Thanks for the post!

this thread inspired me to do a WnG with the sheamoisture deep treatment masque as a leave-in...my hair was soooo soft and moisturized

Aaw, I'm glad I inspired someone to try something new. Isn't it great though? I :love: this stuff, can't wait to try it on a twistout when I stop being so lazy :yep:

Wow..this was an awesome read..I was sitting here with my jaw dropped, like awesome results every time. Thanks for the reviews!!

Back