Product Recommendations From Type 2-3's, Or Anyone Who Knows Better Than Me Please ..

sparkle25

Hello

I am looking for some product recommendations for my toddler girl. I've been on this board for almost 9 years and still struggle to find products for my own hair . I have like 3 products that work well for me after all this time!

My toddlers hair, seems like a two something in the front and then a 3 something in the back. I use all natural products for myself and do so, and will continue to do so for her.

So far for her I have tried Soulanicals hair sorrel leave in spray, which is decent, and I will continue until I find something better...but the spray needs to be sealed. I tried sealing it with a little bit of an oil blend from Jessicurl, and that looks good for about two hours, then the front of her hair is stringy/greasy looking even if I don't add a lot of oil, and the back of her hair is frizzy and dry looking.

Then I tried the soultanicals spray sealed with shescentit marshmallow cream and I got the same results. Then I tried the spray sealed with soultanicals Muru Muru moisture guru and got the same results.

She sleeps on satin bed sheets, doesn't really wear baby hats, I only use a wide tooth comb and I wash her hair once a week with a sulfate free shampoo and then use one of my deep conditioners as a rinse out for her if I use shampoo. Then every other day i co wash her hair with whatever rinse out conditioner I have on hand. I never found an awesome rinse out conditioner, so they are all just whatever to me and I'll use whatever as long as it's from a natural brand, preferably handcrafted.

Oh and recently I've tried the peach hair milk from Jakeala naturals and while I love it, I get the same results - an oily front and frizzy dry looking back.

We all want our kids to be well groomed, and I just want her curls to be moisturized without being weighed down and greasy. That's it. I'll worry about styling when she's older but I'm pretty sure my goals will be the same no matter how old she gets - well moisturized, non greasy looking hair.

My question is, what am I doing wrong? What should I try?

Thanks so much.

The curly kids line is great for providing moisture without making hair weighed down or greasy. The ingredients are minimal but some of the products do contain silicone. They have a website and can be found in Walmart, Sally Beauty, Dollar General, and family dollar. The price point is $4 - $5 per product on the ground and about $4 - $8 online. The line works well for type 2, type 3 and silky type 4 hair. They have a few YouTube demonstrations as well as an Instagram page with children of various hair types. The shampoo is awesome it's gentle.

http://shop.curlykidshaircare.com/collections/frontpage

They also have a line called curly chic. It works well with the curly kids line. I like the moisturizers from the adult line.

http://shop.curlykidshaircare.com/collections/curlychic

Last edited:
my dd is a tbl, thick stranded, type 2-3. Sounds like baby has winter dryness esp if your having to run the heat a lot in the house.

I keep her regimen real simple. They don't really need a whole lot on their hair.

1. shampoo is whatever. she gets product buildup and sebum buildup real fast so I just use a regular sulfate or clarifying wash.

DC is Dabur Vatika Rereshing Lemon these past 3 years. I just leave it on 15 min.

2. Shescentit cranberry cream leave in is fabulous for detangling and keeping frizz low. This gets slathered on thick if she is wearing it down which I rarely allow otherwise it will be matted by the end of the day.

3. As I Am smoothing gel for the fly aways around the edges for buns or a braid.

4. consider a warm mist humidifier to naturally help moisturize her hair.

5. Leave the DC on for a while. been leaving it on my kid since she was a toddler.

that's it! good luck!

At what age and how much hair did you ladies start your kids on regular regimenseason? My granddaughter will be a year old in two weeks but she doesn't have much hair yet. What is a good indicator it's time. She has a long section on top but the sides and back/front hasn't started coming in long yet.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1480962942532.jpg
    FB_IMG_1480962942532.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 26
At what age and how much hair did you ladies start your kids on regular regimenseason? My granddaughter will be a year old in two weeks but she doesn't have much hair yet. What is a good indicator it's time. She has a long section on top but the sides and back/front hasn't started coming in long yet.
awwwww cute!!!

I always had baby girl on a regular regimen after the infant stage. the baby shampoo seemed terrible so I dropped that around a year and started regular shampoo and DC. i did wash her face with the no tears shampoo to numb her eyes just in case :look:

To give her full 15min of DC I just washed and put the conditioner on first in her bath and put a kids sized shower cap over it while she bathed.

then used a leave in after. kept it simple.

awwwww cute!!!

I always had baby girl on a regular regimen after the infant stage. the baby shampoo seemed terrible so I dropped that around a year and started regular shampoo and DC. i did wash her face with the no tears shampoo to numb her eyes just in case :look:

To give her full 15min of DC I just washed and put the conditioner on first in her bath and put a kids sized shower cap over it while she bathed.

then used a leave in after. kept it simple.

Right now I am trying the Sheamoisture kids shampoo. Did you find all of the kids shampoos to be bad? And do you use no gel at all when she wears it down? Just the leave in?

My son has type 2-3 hair. I use the SM shea butter shampoo and use a rinse out conditioner (shescentit avocado conditioner) to finger detangle his curls and I let it sit while I bathe him. After I rinse, I apply EVCO to soaking wet hair and then oyin hair dew. His hair stays soft, shiny, and moisturized. I use everything with a light hand because his curls are easy to weigh down. Good luck!

Right now I am trying the Sheamoisture kids shampoo. Did you find all of the kids shampoos to be bad? And do you use no gel at all when she wears it down? Just the leave in?
yea, I found them useless for her hair. After a while, she needed it clarified like everybody else :lol: it felt like the kids ones weren't strong enough to really clean it.

her hair is tbl so wearing it down can mean disaster with matts because she is super active. so for loose ponys or wearing free we have to load it up with the Shescentin Cranberry Cream and just a little oil or a light hold gel like SSI macadamia. Gel the sides and edges too.

yea, I found them useless for her hair. After a while, she needed it clarified like everybody else :lol: it felt like the kids ones weren't strong enough to really clean it.

her hair is tbl so wearing it down can mean disaster with matts because she is super active. so for loose ponys or wearing free we have to load it up with the Shescentin Cranberry Cream and just a little oil or a light hold gel like SSI macadamia. Gel the sides and edges too.

Thank you. My baby's hair does feel soft it just looks frizzy and I was trying to tame the frizz without using gel, but it looks like I might have to use some gel eventually. I'll keep experiencing with leave ins until i find one that's not greasy.

Back