Product recommendations for high porosity hair

lonei

Hey guys

I am relaxed and believe my hair my be high porosity. It matts when wet, its had to detangle, doesnt seem to like protein like Aphogee and Keracare Restorative Mask, will not dry smooth in a rollerset, takes ages to dry and if I use water based products on dry hair it will go frizzy. I steam my hair at every wash (every 2 weeks) and am not sure if it might be making it worse as the heat opens the cuticle even more.

Any recommendations for products or processes to make it easier to detangle, smooth soft and shiny would be much appreciated. X

Hey guys

I am relaxed and believe my hair my be high porosity. It matts when wet, its had to detangle, doesnt seem to like protein like Aphogee and Keracare Restorative Mask, will not dry smooth in a rollerset, takes ages to dry and if I use water based products on dry hair it will go frizzy. I steam my hair at every wash (every 2 weeks) and am not sure if it might be making it worse as the heat opens the cuticle even more.

Any recommendations for products or processes to make it easier to detangle, smooth soft and shiny would be much appreciated. X

Hi lonei I have no suggestions just wanted to let u know your hair is beautiful and ur one of my inspirations.. :)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

I have high porosity hair as well. I haven't got my products down pat yet, but the best leave ins I've used so far are Creme of Nature Argan Oil Strength & Shine Leave In (for amazing moisture and detangling benefits) and Lacio Lacio Leave In (also extremely moisturizing; this has a lot of cones which is great for my hair; I actually use this to moisturize AND seal since my hair just absorbs any oils on it). I also use Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo, a sulfate free shampoo that is gentle and won't aggravate my already open cuticles. Silk Elements Megasilk Moisture Treatment is the best moisturizing DC I've tried...it smells great and gives SO much moisture and slip! My hair stays detangled & moisturized for days when I use it (I'll be repurchasing soon...comes in sample packs if you want to try it out first). Once I finish up one of the two conditioners in my stash, I'll purchase the Roux Porosity Corrector & Conditioner (to help close my cuticles) and AO GPB conditioner (for protein...also contains aloe vera, which is supposed to be great for porous hair, and wheat germ oil, which is loaded in ceramides). I haven't bought them though so I don't have a review just yet.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I'm texlaxed and high porosity. My hair used to dry in literally 45 min. :nono: I got some Roux PC but I think I was using it wrong cuz it left my hair hard. I ended up just using it on my length before touch-ups. Then I remember French Perm Stabilizer, leaves my hair nice and silky and detangled. :up: A new love is Zoto's Porosity Equalizer, a liquidy leave-in. I use it after I wash. I love it so much I bought my mom a bottle.

A general rule I figured out for hi-po hair is to look for products meant for colored hair because their whole purpose is to seal the cuticle (to keep the color in). I just bought several different 'color-seal' type conditioners... just to test my theory, of course. :look: :lol: Like someone mentioned above, ceramides are the key to replenishing the 'CMC' (lipid) layer of the strand. To that end, I've been loading up on the L'oreal Paris Advanced Total Repair 5 in the black bottle. [nb: when looking for ceramides in a product, look for a word with the 'olea' prefix, ie, "Oleamido," usually toward the end of the list.]

What kind of relaxer do you use, my daughter hair takes the relaxer well but after a week or two it looks telaxed

I'm natural with high porosity. IA with Honey_Bee that smoothing and sealing products work well for high porosity hair.

These products play nicely with my hair:

Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
Design Essentials Moisture Renention Shampoo

AO GPB
AO White Camilla Smoothing Conditioner
Komaaza Protein Strenghener
Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor
Aphogee Pro Vitamin Leave In
Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea

Komaaza Califia Spray
Komaaza Shea Lotion (and shea butter usually sits on my hair)

Naturelle Grow Slippery Elm Deep Conditioner (loving this right now)

Products (particularly conditioners and leave-ins) with a pH between 3-4 flattened out and smooth my hair and keep it somewhat moisturized. This pH range is acidic and makes the stands compact by providing a positive charge and more hydrogen bonds between the keratin scales. My hair is overly porous and it swells with water then loses it quickly. So it makes sense that my lifted cuticles respond so well to products that help smooth and lay them flat.

Protein actually helps my hair by fortifying the hair cuticles and allowing the shaft to better hold onto the moisture it receives.

Back