Product Minimalist - How do you do it?

brownsugarflyygirl

Over thanksgiving, due to all the airline restrictions I was hair-product stranded so I only used leave-in condish and castor oil for my two strand twists. They came out and have been holding up great :eek: It got me to thinking that maybe I dont really need all my Carol's Daughter and Qhemets products...but Im scared that maybe the combination of ingredients/nutrients is giving my hair something that it may not get if I just use one or two things.

So product minimalists, I have some questions for you.
I am thinking about coming over to your side.

How long have you been a product minimalist?

How long is your hair? Natural or Relaxed?

Where you ever a PJ? What made you change?

What differences have you seen in your hair since reducing the number of products?

What products do you use?

How long have you been a product minimalist? Forever. By nature I'm a minimalist.

How long is your hair? collar bone
Natural or Relaxed? relaxed

Where you ever a PJ? What made you change? nope, never a PJ

What differences have you seen in your hair since reducing the number of products?

What products do you use? in my siggy. Main Staple is Aved Damage Remedy

I started out as a PJ, but I'm getting it under control and I'm starting to phase out stuff I just don't use.

I want to be a minimalist, I really do! I don't know if I'll ever kick my addiction to conditioners, though.

I don't know if I'm a product minimalist, I've never really thought about it. But I have been progressively using less and less products on my hair since going natural.

In the last few months.

My hair is collar bone when flat ironed and about neck length when curly. I'm completely natural now.

I don't know if I was a PJ (compared to some). But I had a huge bag of products that I gave away to my cousin (about 20 products), after cutting off my relaxed ends. I gave those products away b/c they were what I used when I was relaxed and I didn't think they'd work the same anymore.

I've been surprised at how few products I can use and get great results. I've noticed that my natural hair is shinier and softer when I use less products. Too many products seem to make my hair dull looking.

I have about 5 products that I use (besides shampoo and conditioner) depending on my needs:

Qhemet Sidr Tree Butter Balm
Qhemet Amla & Olive heavy cream
Dove leave-in conditioner spray (light blue bottle)
Garneir Fructis curl & shine leave-in conditioner
Jojoba oil

But honestly, I have used the first two in the last 6 weeks, and I've used the third maybe 4 times total. Lately I just use the Garnier Fructis. If I need more hold (for a ponytail) I'll use a little IC Fantasia gel. If I want to seal in the conditioner I'll use a small amount of jojoba.

Always. I have never liked to take much time on my hair.

Under brastrap (again- snip snip!) natural.

No, I get intrigued by stuff I see or read about, but barely have used all the stuff I've bought over the years. I have a cabinet full of stuff but I only use shampoo, conditioner and something as a leave in on a regular basis.

It's cleaner, it smells better, it presses better when I flat iron an it moves better- with a lot of stuff it is kinda stiff, with nothing in but a leave in and maybe a heat protectant it flows and moves with as little movement as me tilting my head.

HH shamp and cond, either coconut oil or proclaim 7 oil as a leave in. Sometimes both.

I think I've always been a product minimalist.

My hair is a few inches below waist-length and is relaxed (or 'texturized' because I don't leave the product on long and don't comb it though.)

I've never been a product junkie. When I first discovered hair boards, which was several years ago now, every once in a while I would buy a product mentioned. Usually it was a natural/organic shampoo or conditioner, but I'd always go back to what I liked and use a minimal amount of products. I never really got into having a regimen or deep-conditioning, etc. I'm not much of a hair person, meaning that I appreciate and am grateful to have my hair and like to make it look nice, but don't pay much attention to it or spend much time on it.

For many years now, I have been in the habit of covering my hair with a satin scarf as soon as I get home and wearing that to bed and I believe that is what has contributed the most to its health.

I've been using the following products for a few years and they are a good combo for me:

Neutrogena Triple Moisture Shampoo

Garnier Fructis Conditioner for Dry Hair

Organic Root Stimulator Nature's Shine Spray (I don't apply it to my roots and I doubt it does anything to stimulate them for people who do. But it does add a wonderful shine!)

Sometimes, when I want extra shine on the "outside" of an updo, I will apply some Africa's Best Organics Olive Oil hairdressing to my hair before putting it up.

(I noticed they just "improved" this product by adding mineral oil to it, which makes no sense since the absence of mineral oil is what makes it good, in my opinion. I opened one of the "new" jars and the product looked and smelled greasy and awful. Fortunately for me, they still had some of the old jars at the store.)

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies....It seems that from what you all are saying I basically already am a product minimalist....or at least very close...:look:

I would love to hear more minimal regimens though...so feel free to continue the responses...

every since i can remember
an inch or two from brastrap, relaxed
i got a little pj'ism after i found this site. there were so many great recommendations i wanted to try them all out :) my pocket book kept me in check though :lol:
nothing due to reducing products. i have a change in thickness but it's do to stretching relaxers
currently trying out keracare but i want to switch to organic products soon
-keracare dry&itchy shampoo
-humecto conditioner
- keracare leave in conditioner

-keracare headdress

Last edited:
Always.

collar bone, relaxed.

No, not really.

I've taken simpler measures (mixin' up batches of stuff in the kitchen), rather than adding products to my regime. Going simpler has gotten my hair healthier, shinier, stronger, and reduced breakage to a bare minimum.

Suave Tropical Coconut (poo & con)
Aphogee Balancing Moisturizer (after my mayo mix)
Motions Light Moisturizer
Jojoba Oil
Coconut Oil
Matrix Sleek Shine (when I flatiron to tame new growth)

Like forever, my hair doesn't like too much stuff on it. I am trying new things since I am hair but sparingly

My hair is relaxed, APL

I have never been a PJ. I never even had a daily moisturizer before LHCF. Whatever my hair stylist put on that was it fro the week.

I love to have hair that moves. Too much stuff makes the hair icky.

The things that I used from shoulder length to APL was just my Nexxus shampoo and Con

Less is more

Around 2-3 years.

Waistlength and natural.

I was a PJ when I was younger, maybe around 20. I actually believed everything that was stated on the bottles :D That it would make my hair this and that LOL

No real difference. I still put some mousse and oil sheen spray in my hair for Christmas or New Years, but not on an everyday basis. I have an everyday look and a party look.

Leave in conditioner + olive oil. (and shampoo + conditioner)

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Over thanksgiving, due to all the airline restrictions I was hair-product stranded so I only used leave-in condish and castor oil for my two strand twists. They came out and have been holding up great :eek: It got me to thinking that maybe I dont really need all my Carol's Daughter and Qhemets products...but Im scared that maybe the combination of ingredients/nutrients is giving my hair something that it may not get if I just use one or two things.

I have been a product minimalist in terms of adding several products at one time almost all my life, I have never liked heay hair so wont add more than 2 products at a time, normally 1 is enough.

I am relaxed

I was a PJ and have always been on a quest to find the next best thing, plus buy them in bulk, 3 or 4 tubs of each at a time. I only recently changed due to the amount of unused products I had to keep giving away when I had found my next best thing and I thought about all the money I was wasting. I decided that in saving for a stable future, the PJism had to go! Now I dont buy in bulk and am trying my best to ignore the raves (infact, im generally not swayed by them as I belive I have found the best things for my hair) and stick to what i know as it is working.

My hair is much lighter, freer yet still mositurised. This way i can test how a product works on its own, and see if it does what it promises (which it should) without the help of anything else. If you layer lots of products you will never know...

I use 1 shampoo, 2 conditioners (protein and mositure, on separate ocassions), 2 leave ins (not at the same time, one to pre-poo, one to detangle after a wash), 1 serum and 1 oil. They are all from the Giovanni line except the oil is Keracare.

I want to join in as well!! I'm tired of spending all this money on products I will never finish or even use. I am currently trying to use up all the rinse-out and leave-in conditioners I have purchased. I think I am getting a bit more settled now, especially as less really is more!!

Not very long at all!

My hair is about chin-length when stretched - I am natural.

Where you ever a PJ?
Yes, I was. I stranglely only because a hair-PJ when I became natural back in February. I think it was becuase I was still trying to figure out what works for me.

What made you change?
I have accumulated so many products in the last couple of months that it's shameful! I want to go back to uni next year to complete my masters, and I feel that I could do better than spending money I should be saving on hair products I may not even use.

I have re-discovered shea butter recently when I tried it for my hair after washing. My hair is so soft now and not at all gunky. It's also very well moisturised! I will continue to use this mixed with my murumuru butter after the Qhemet Sidr Tree finishes.

It's in my siggy.

Back