Product Free Hair Regimen?

Fhrizzball

QUESTION!

Does anyone use NO PRODUCTS in their hair as part of their regimen? Other than Nonie I can't think of anyone that does or in particular naturals that do. I'm on day two of accidentally not adding products in my hair (just water and a light dose of oil) and It's not as dry or tangled that I would have thought. It's also very fluffy and light which I am loving. I haven't worn it loose yet so that may be a different story.

So those of you that don't add leave-ins and whatnot after you wash/co wash, how do you style your hair and how often do you wash and whatnot? Do you find your hair prospering more from it and why don't you use anything? Do you find yourself limited in styles and do you have to handle your hair differently than if you used products?

TIA:yep:

there was a thread (wish i could find it/remember it), where the OP had a no product regimen, she would only use the sebum from her scalp to take care of her hair. Thats it. She would massage her scalp daily for an extended amount of time to release the sebum and then brush it throughout her hair. She was extremely pleased with the results. I think every month or so she would clarify with water and i pinch of ACV. Sorry i couldnt remember the thread or anything but i hth!

Oh wow, I've never heard of that. Especially for my hair type. My hair would punch me in the face if I ever tried that haha.

I'm relaxed and very close to being product free. I get lazy with my hair and only wash it once a week. On wash day I put some leave-in conditioner and that's it. I don't m&s or anything else for the rest of the week. My hair is never dry either. When I was natural I couldn't do that unless I flatironed. I think my scalp produces enough sebum and since I love to comb my hair it gets distributed and stays moisturized. I'm thinking of cowashing every day starting next week since I'll be exercising but I think that'll depend on how much I sweat.

Recently I've been doing the CG method. I cowash my hair weekly with Suave Naturals Conditioner, and after I rinse the conditioner out I do a final ACV rinse. When I'm ready to style my hair into twists or braids I only apply a little Aloe Vera Juice or Gel. So I don't know if that counts.

Do you find your hair prospering more from it and why don't you use anything? Do you find yourself limited in styles and do you have to handle your hair differently than if you used products?

TIA:yep:

To answer your other questions:
I find my hair prospers more when I don't use shampoo, so that's why I don't use products in my hair, and because my hair is really fine and gets dirty and weighed down fast. If I decide to use a product in my hair it has to be water-based so I can co-wash it out.

No, I don't think I'm limited in styles because I use the same regimen for my wash-no-gos, twists, twist-outs and for bunning. Sometimes for my twist-outs I add a little oil to my ends and where ever it gets frizzy.

there was a thread (wish i could find it/remember it), where the OP had a no product regimen, she would only use the sebum from her scalp to take care of her hair. Thats it. She would massage her scalp daily for an extended amount of time to release the sebum and then brush it throughout her hair. She was extremely pleased with the results. I think every month or so she would clarify with water and i pinch of ACV. Sorry i couldnt remember the thread or anything but i hth!

Oh yea I think I recall that. I don't think I could do anything like that. My hair loves water and I would be having the itches like something fierce. And I can only imagine the smell when you get up close and personal to that.

I'm relaxed and very close to being product free. I get lazy with my hair and only wash it once a week. On wash day I put some leave-in conditioner and that's it. I don't m&s or anything else for the rest of the week. My hair is never dry either. When I was natural I couldn't do that unless I flatironed. I think my scalp produces enough sebum and since I love to comb my hair it gets distributed and stays moisturized. I'm thinking of cowashing every day starting next week since I'll be exercising but I think that'll depend on how much I sweat.

yea I think once the weather gets warmer I'll try cowashing more and see if I can use that as an alternative. I'm going to see if I can do this for a week or so without my strands killing me. Surprisingly enough it's been easier getting fairy knots out of my hair than if I had product on it. Maybe once I go back to using leave-in I just won't be as heavy handed.

Recently I've been doing the CG method. I cowash my hair weekly with Suave Naturals Conditioner, and after I rinse the conditioner out I do a final ACV rinse. When I'm ready to style my hair into twists or braids I only apply a little Aloe Vera Juice or Gel. So I don't know if that counts.
I tried a Aloe Vera Juice shampoo and conditioner and it tangled up my hair something fierce. After that I tried to grow an Aloe Vera plant but then it died on me so I figure that was a sign that I shouldn't use aloe vera on my hair. Do you prefer the juice or the gel?

I prefer the gel because it is less runny and I don't use a spray bottle I just grab it out of the container that I use and slather it on my hair :lol:

AVG actually helps me detangle and define my hair. I noticed that when products have aloe vera listed in the ingredients that the aloe is usually from a concentrate because if I use a lot of the product it will tangle my hair. I just experienced this recently with a product from Jane Carter. You should just try the actual gel because it is already hydrated and is great for detangling. I use the Lily of the Dessert brand.

I don't currently go without product but I notice that I could. However, I would have to cowash more often. I could cowash, condition and then just do an oil rinse and my hair would be ok for a few days. But since I only wash my hair every 7 days, I need to layer products over the oil to slow down the water loss. And if I want to keep down the frizzies and fly aways I'm going to need something other than just oil.

I haven't figured out the purpose of a leave-in for my hair. I keep trying though :lol: Oils and moisturizers seem to work well for right now.

I think as long as you make sure your ends are protected and sealed you can get away with just oil. The one time I did use just the oil I had the best twist out ever. It just dried out extra fast though.

the only time I used "no product" was when I was doing the terressentials detox. wasnt bad, but not my cuppa tea.

I used light oils like apricot, jojoba and walnut

Back