Product for slicking down back of natural hair

ellebelle88

I'm natural and I've been wearing my hair in a high puff. I can get the front to slick down beautifully with moisturizer, oil, and gel combo. However, the back left side of my hair has a coarser texture and no matter how much water/moisturizer/Ecostyler gel I put on it to slick it down, 10 minutes later it looks dry and rough and begins to stick out from the rest of my hair.

Does anyone have any product recommendations with a strong hold that I can use to help slick it down since Ecostyler doesn't work? My hair is well conditioned, and that still doesn't help either. Please help. The front part of my hair looks shiny and wavy and the back looks rough. Does anyone else have this problem?

I recommend using no water, a bit of moisturizer and some Crystal Ecostyler before tying it down with a scarf for at least 20 minutes. Sometimes it's not the products, but the methodology that can make a difference.

I did but even far into the stretch I found a solution and I was having trouble slicking down my edges down for the longest. Before I was about to leave out I would spray my all my hair down ;but not dripping wet (you can do just your edges)with my distilled water,favorite moisturizing conditioner,and oil mix in a spray bottle, add a thick moisturizer (I used taliah waajid curly curl cream) like a gel and applied it lightly to my hair length but thicker on my edges and used my applicator brush to shape my edges for baby hairs and sealed with and oil. I then tied my scarf for 15 minutes and BAM!!!! MY edges looked good and stayed all day because I freshly did it that day. This worked until I was three months post relaxer and then I relaxed

Don't wet your hair before applying the gel. If I wet my edges then try to slick them back with gel, my hair springs up and is all coily, sticking out all over the place. I can keep globing the gel on, but it won't make a difference. When I want to have slick edges, I just apply the gel, no water. Doing it this way makes my edges lay down nice and smooth.

I tried not wetting the back of my hair and just applying the gel. It worked a bit better, but the back part still looks like a "rough" texture that differs from the front of my hair.I want the slick down effect. Is that impossible? Maybe I'll try a paste or glaze.

I second the use of a scarf. But I say wet the hair but dont apply any gel yet, just an oil or serum and tie a silk or satin scarf over it, leave it on till the hair is dry... Once its smoothed out then u can apply gel lightly

Last edited:
Also a paste is going to dry your hair out. I think the scarf is your best bet. It works WONDERS for frizzy roots for me. If you can, soak the area and brush it smooth and then tie the scarf on and sit under a dryer if you have one.

Ecostyler has glycerin in it which attracts moisture to the hair making it frizz after an hour .
The best product to keep your hair slicked back is an edge smoother ,a strong gel or a combination of butter and strong gel if you don't want that "hard " feeling.
My hair is hard to tame an ecostyler works for less than an hour .

Ecostyler has glycerin in it which attracts moisture to the hair making it frizz after an hour . The best product to keep your hair slicked back is an edge smoother ,a strong gel or a combination of butter and strong gel if you don't want that "hard " feeling. My hair is hard to tame an ecostyler works for less than an hour .

Thank you for this; people rave about ecostyler, but it does NOTHING but frizz my hair and then leave big glue-like clumps of dried gel in my hair. I thought I had gotten a bad batch and bought more to be sure...

Water + Ampro Clear gel + the boar bristle brush have worked for me since the early 90s lol. I dont even need a scarf and dont have gluey clumps of dried up gel in my hair after.

Ors edge control first, then put gorilla snot over it, smooth down and wear a scarf until you get to ur destination.

Thanks for the suggestion! This looks good as well, and I like that it has olive oil in it and is available at WalMart. Gonna pick it up next time I'm there.

If the back of your is looking rough you might be having some PH balance issues. Try doing an ACV rinse after washing and conditioning your hair and see if that helps.

Kindheart
Off topic, if that is you in your avi you are looking all types of phenomenal sis!

KinkyGenius Nah thats not me but i have pretty much the same body ,i do weight training 30 mins 3x a week .it definetly toned me up !

Gorilla Snot? What the what? lol. Idk if I can use that. The mere mention of the name makes me want to gag.

I know right ?! What a silly name for a product you re suppose to apply on yourself.

Last edited:
Back